Search results

1. Ryan Mooney

Travel Trailer

It's both a longer and shorter story than it might be and there is less to tell than I'd like. The really short version is that when I bought it, it was 20 years old, now it's 30 years old and hasn't had all that much work done on it. The longer version is that converting a schoolie has some...
  2. Ryan Mooney

Travel Trailer

When we bought the school bus some years back LOML noted how fantastic the gas mileage on the SUV was on the way home. I was like "well yeah.. you were drafting a school bus the whole way".. "oooooh! right!" Now you just need a school bus :D
  3. Ryan Mooney

Little house isn't looking so good.

Well that's to bad! Looks like hopefully quite a bit of somewhat decent salvage material... should be an "interesting" project getting it all down.
  4. Ryan Mooney

Learn something NEW every day.

That is a very cool little building, are the roof tiles slate as well?
  5. Ryan Mooney

How to sniff out a good jointer

Straight edge to check for warping on the tables. Feeler gauges to check if the infeed is parallel to the outfeed and stays so when it moves (this can pretty much always be adjusted out but can be tricky so closer to start is better - check around to see if anyone discusses how hard the model...
  6. Ryan Mooney

New Shop Journey

FYI LOML found this place (she uses their other site https://pdfplotting.com/ for patterns..) which is pretty cheap and fast to get dupes run https://autocadprinting.com/product/autocad-pdf-plotting/ There's a minimum order, shipping, yadda, but even with that way cheaper than the local place...
  7. Ryan Mooney

Anycube Chiron large format 3 D printer is here

I ended up buying a couple boxes of compatible screws and the T nut connectors (it uses two sizes so some of each) for ours.. because of .. uh .. reasons...
  8. Ryan Mooney

Travel Trailer

Heh, you were just getting close to where it can get really windy, less on the front wind but the side wind coming around some of the corners west of there can get really really exciting! I suppose a heavier trailer would be a slight advantage for that. Travel trailers do seem to have mediocre...
  9. Ryan Mooney

Anycube Chiron large format 3 D printer is here

Note that PLA (the most common and easy to use filament) tends to get droopy if it gets very hot (the lower melt/flow temperature is what makes it nice for printing with..). I know that's been a problem for folks in OR so I'm imagining squared in AZ. I'd still start with getting PLA to work...
  10. Ryan Mooney

New Shop Journey

That floor does look quite nicely done! Are you planning to top coat it or put anything over the concrete? Ok so +1 on having a secondary panel but (as usual :D) I have some questions: Why right next to the existing? I can see arguments for having it there (easy, less large wire, etc..)...
  11. Ryan Mooney

Outdoor Cook Spot

Keep an eye on https://www.homebrewfinds.com/ - they find them occasionally for reasonable prices. We picked up a 24x48 for under $100 a couple years ago that has been pretty handy (it lives in lomls "dye studio" aka the other-shed)
  12. Ryan Mooney

Outdoor Cook Spot

The cook top looks cool, you could make a whole lot of ppancakes on that :)
  13. Ryan Mooney

I may need an intervention

@Charles Lent How well does the FMT work on the end of larger pieces? It seems like it would be awkward for that, but I wasn't sure if there was a clean way to use it horizontally or not?
  14. Ryan Mooney

Yes? :rofl: I've seen a number of folks either loving or hating the 700 with the Seneca adapter to fit the 500 bits. Having used neither I don't have a lot of opinions.. other than it would have been nice to have not needed to make the decision and have one machine that handles both nicely? :D
  15. Ryan Mooney

Hmm the domino knock down system looks pretty sweet as well... That might almost justify it right there for some usage.
  16. Ryan Mooney

Structurally I'm going to have to disagree with that somewhat. The main difference is that dowels will slowly shift from round->oval and back again as humidity changes. This will over the long term break the glue joint in some dowel joints (I say some because it depends on the glue, the wood...
  17. Ryan Mooney

Customer sent ...........

Very crisp!
  18. Ryan Mooney

Millers Falls Hand Drill #2 (1935)

Neat, I don't think I've ever seen one with a friction roller on it in person. Does it change the action much? Nice little hammer as well, I do admit to having a fondness for those and that one was nice enough to come with a pretty decent looking handle as well!
  19. Ryan Mooney

Turkey Yelper

Nice bit of turning. Help me out a little on the details if you would be so kind though (I didn't grow up in turkey country by far hah). Are these similar to / the same as "strikers"? Or is this something closer to the "trumpet" calls? What effect (if any?) does the cone hollowing on the...
  20. Ryan Mooney

been thinking about getting a 3 D printer

You might want to double check that those have the thermal runaway protection mods on them. https://letsprint3d.net/critical-safety-mods-upgrade-anet-a8/ (yeah I know those are for the a8.. but the am8 is just a slight tweak).