Search results

1. Kerry Burton

Lathe mounted work light

While working on another small project today, I was digging around under my workbench looking for several packages of dowels that I knew "had to be there". (They weren't. :() What I did find was the worklight from my Dewalt scrollsaw. I took it off a couple years ago because it was too fiddly...
  2. Kerry Burton

Something to do on Christmas Day...

With little else to do (no family around) and nowhere to go (everything's closed, right?) I did a little goofing around in the shop: These 10.8V Makita units have been in their shiny box, in a file cabinet, behind a stack of other stuff, for far too long. Not sure why they had to be...
  3. Kerry Burton

Thin Strips

I recently participated in the Family Woodworking 2019 Christmas Gift Exchange. To make the gift I had in mind, I needed to rip several thin strips from a regulation 2"x4"x12"-sized board that all participants were to start with. To keep the strips fairly consistent, I decided to make a...
  4. Kerry Burton

Long Overdue: Toolbox cleaning and relubrication

OK, so I'm slow... I bought this Husky toolbox about ... 17? ... years ago, and put it out in my shed with my new-ish motorcycle. [Full Disclosure: The toolbox has never really been used for woodworking tools, unless a hammer and screwdrivers count.] At first it "worked" just fine. But over...
  5. Kerry Burton

Peek-a-Boo Purse Mirror

I forgot all about the pocket/purse mirror that I eventually finished for the young girl next door. Before bringing out the Popsicle Stick airplanes for her brothers I asked if she would be OK with them getting some quickly-made, sure-to-be-broken-soon gifts while I continued to work on a more...
  6. Kerry Burton

Popsicle Sticks!

A few days ago I introduced the little kids next door to "Popsicle Stick Grenades". I wasn't surprised that they had never seen them before, but their 30-ish year-old father hadn't either! That got me thinking about a "project" from my childhood that I resurrect once every several years...
  7. Kerry Burton

Rocket Launcher Switch

Those who came to Burning Wood II at Carols' place in California last Fall may have spotted my (compressed air) paper rocket launcher: I copied the design of the wooden base from my back fence neighbor's unit. (Yes, that's "our" fence in the photo.) I made a couple of improvements, including...
  8. Kerry Burton

Coworker Gifts

I started travelling from Utah to Miami for work back in late October. (From door to door it's 12 hours each way. :() I've flown out 8 times so far, but actually spent 10 weeks there. Almost miraculously, I've been working from home now for a solid month ... but that's coming to an end in a...
  9. Kerry Burton

Greenhouse Controller

In late 2016 I was involved in a "Time & Talent" auction to benefit the youth program at church. As one of the adult youth leaders I felt like I needed to donate something to help out the cause. What I offered was "Up to 8 hours of assistance with an Arduino project," thinking that I would help...
  10. Kerry Burton

Spinning Wheel Bobbins

I keep forgetting that FWW is not intended to be a "read only" forum. On the other hand, it seems like it's been a long time since I made anything. My wife started spinning some of her own yarn a couple years ago, and ended up getting a Lendrum spinning wheel. That was great, but before long...
  11. Kerry Burton

Questions about ... selling stuff

I'm not really sure how to approach my question, but I'm hopeful that someone here will be able to send me in the right direction. My wife and I are thinking about going to an upcoming weaver's conference in Reno, to sell some shop-made items from a booth in the "marketplace". The Vendor Book...
  12. Kerry Burton

A token project...

About 9 years ago a customer sent me an RSA token to use when logging into their network: For some 1,700 workdays I struggled to position the token at a good viewing angle. If I stood it on edge I couldn't read the numbers at all. If I laid it flat on my desk -- same problem. For a while I...
  13. Kerry Burton

The Circle of Life

As I mentioned elsewhere yesterday, our 9-year-old Labrador "Maggie" lost her litter-mate sister "Millie" back in March. (We had her put down after she stopped eating and the vet found a probably-inoperable "splenic mass/tumor". :doh:) I suppose that Maggie missed her sister to a degree, but...
  14. Kerry Burton

New Year's Gifts for some neighbor kids

It's been a long time since I posted any projects. Partly because I haven't worked on any projects since ... wait a minute ... I did do some woodturning around Christmas / New Year's, during one of my unintended "sabbaticals" from the forum. I tried hard to complete this set of gifts in time...
  15. Kerry Burton

New item from EWT - The Easy Chuck

Gee ... my first post in just over a year! :doh: Has anyone here gotten their hands on a pre-release copy of the EWT Easy Chuck? (If you have, you probably can't tell us about it, right?) The chuck seems to have a couple of pretty cool and innovative features, so I tried to find a price at...
  16. Kerry Burton

Winter's A-Comin'!

From my front yard this morning: Sigh...
  17. Kerry Burton

Pocket / purse mirrors

I completed my first "pocket" mirrors on Friday, getting two from a single 3/4" thickness of scrap. I used double-stick tape to mount the blank to a waste block on a faceplate. I misjudged the parting tool placement when I cut the first mirror frame off of the blank, which left me with almost...
  18. Kerry Burton

Anybody seen a kit for one of these?

Ran across an interesting pen design just now. It's probably been out for months, and I'm just now catching up. :dunno: Anyway, see what you think. (From http://www.perpetualkid.com/360-pen.aspx) Seems like you could make your own with a Bic-style refill ... but making it all in one...
  19. Kerry Burton

The Latest from Jonathan's Shop (Class)

So Jonathan (Shively) ... as far as I know you're the only active woodshop teacher in the group. I never had the chance to take a shop class in school (too busy with "college prep" stuff, I guess) so I've been wondering.... With school starting up and all, what are the plans for this year's...
  20. Kerry Burton

FWW Meet Up - near Pickles Gap, AR!

In the middle of visiting my parents in Arkansas last week, I had the chance to meet up with none other than Mark Cothren. He and I had PM'd a few times (a few years ago) but this was our first chance to get together. First, the obligatory "shop shot". Mark had been roughing out a bit of...