Search results

1. K

what i have so far.

it has taken quite a while but I finally got the third piece done for the vanity wall and installed it because the granite template guy was supposed to show up today. But apparently he forgot about our late in the evening appointment. The scrap drywall is obviously representing the counter and...
  2. K

I really painted myself into a corner this time.

I have had a few problems spraying my toner so far. I had to sand and re finish a few of the drawer fronts for various reasons. had to do one over 4 times. the 4th time was because I was so frustrated on the third time I didn't sand very well. I had to spray the large face Fram with lacquer...
  3. K

router not raising high enough in lift plate for proper bit instal solution.

I am not sure if anyone else has this problem. I had it with my old router plate also , to a slightly lesser degree with the Jesse plate I switched to. the router would not come up far enough. The router collet would be low so the bit shank could not go down as far as I would like to have the...
  4. K

mlcs raised panel bit set poor fit

just got a mlcs complete cabinet bit ser. I'm pretty disappointed so far. the fit of the rail and stile are very poor. it comes with ships / washers to tighten the fit but the ogee profiles on the 2 pieces do not seem to match perfectly. But i don't have anything else tight now. does...
  5. K

sanding drawer boxes to compensate for un even closing?

I just made a drawer box for one of my cabinets. the drawer box is very square but the face frame must be off some because the left side of the drawer sticks out almost a 1/8" more than the right side. Moving the back of the left slide didn't help much if any. can I sand the front of the...
  6. K

Good Method for setting up plate joiner for offset face frames.

I mentioned this once before recently that its been about 10 years since I did any wood working. So I am kinda teaching myself how to do everything again. I have face frames that are kinda 3/16" proud of the inside of the cabinet and I was having trouble figuring out how to get all the slots...
  7. K

choice for my hard maple cabinets.

I have gotten it narrowed down. actually pretty much chosen. I have 2 samples. the one on the left is just 2 coats of toner made with lacquer and a trans tint. the one on the right was died with the same transient (in water) and then sprayed with 1 coat of the same toner. they are very...
  8. K

hard maple with hidden defect.

I did a glue up of some maple for a drawer front. the wood looked fine. I did the glue up and then when it was ready I started to trim it to size. I was squaring up one side with a 1 inch cut. At first I thought my glue failed but then realized it was the wood. it just snapped in 2. so I...
  9. K

Jessem rout r lift older style installing question(s)

what ever router lift I have been using stopped moving up and down. Years ago I purchased a used Jessem rout r lift but never installed it. I don't even remember putting my old one in it seems that long ago so I'm not sure how I should do this. I really need the router and can not afford to...
  10. K

cracked face frame with pocket screw?

I'm guessing I torqued the screw a little to hard. Im sure it will show up much more after the wood to stained/dyed but I'm not sure how noticeable it will be. The crack will end up being about 3/16" below a drawer front. As a visual test : I put a sliver of blue tape at the crack and...
  11. K

finish hard maple with a toner or dye or stain? (For a bad finisher)

I am going to make some samples for our hard maple vanity. I have not done any finishing for at least 10 years and I wasn't that great at the time. The first cabinets I ever made I stained but there were tons of tiny little grayish spots. I think I remember some one telling me it was the pores...
  12. K

How far can a face Frame go past the sides of the case?

I am making a vanity and as usual I am making some last minute changes (after I had already changed the plans 4 times). I want to add some fluting to the sides. So for my idea to work I want the to outer sides of the face frame to extend 2" past the case. So the face frame sides will be 3"...
  13. K

Bathroom vanity height

I was just getting ready to start building our bathroom vanity. I am still pretty rusty having only built one set of cabinets recently and they were painted so mistakes were easy to cover up lol. I designed it so the case would be 38" heigh total. That would put the counter height at just a...
  14. K

staining wood trim/ baseboard

I have never stained Baseboard before. I have only done painted baseboard. Every other wood project I've done was stained after all of the cuts were made and things were put together. What I have is maple baseboard that is going to go around my kitchen cabinets. My first instinct is to...
  15. K

completed instillation of my cabinet

It seemed like it took forever to finish it but I'm finally done. I got all the drawers flush by remounting the slides. One thing I debated on is wether or not I wanted to have the cabinet door go to the ceiling or stop so it would be even with the closet door. In person it looks fine but just...
  16. K

Built in cabinet with slight drawer problem. Need help please.

This is something I just built. It needs another coat of paint which I wanted to do after instal. I basically designed it to go in the dead space on the side of a closet. Its 25" deep with full extension self close slides and the interior of the drawers are 16" wide so it provides lots of...
  17. K

hello from Florida

Hello all. I became a member because I need help with a problem. I hope none of you mind but i couldn't find what I needed in the net so I looked for a forum. But I do want to get back into woodworking again so I hope I'll have reason to stick around. I'll ask the question tomorrow...