Search results

1. Chas Jones

Yet another Vase

Cherry Vase, 180mm high. Finish:- Internals: Cut & Polish Wax. Externals: CSS, 3wheel buffed and Microcrystalline wax.
  2. Chas Jones

Cherry Vase

Thanks for the comments, just looked right when on the lathe but never really sure whether a form works until it sits off the lathe. A few more Cherry logs need to be cleared out, having sat piled in a corner for several years since cutting from the original trunks. Only consolation seems to...
  3. Chas Jones

Cherry Vase

Cherry Vase, 190mm high. Finish:- Internals: Cut & Polish Wax. Externals: CSS, 3wheel buffed and Microcrystalline wax.
  4. Chas Jones

Zebrawood Ginger Jar

Like the simple but precis rim treatment, to me the abrupt change in contour from the curved shoulder to the neck collar accentuates the body form. Most of the Zebrano I've ever acquired has been in large slab form and from the outer seconds area of the trunk (budget limited) and therefore...
  5. Chas Jones

Bloodwood box

Has 'classic' written all over it, not easy to hit the sweet spot when blending curves on constantly changing radii.
  6. Chas Jones

Macassar Ebony box

That's a great piece Mike, as said above, both in form and choice of wood, I've a 8 X 8 x 4" block of ebony that's been on the 'save for something special' rack for 10+ years that I must get round to making a decision on soon.
  7. Chas Jones

Small Oak Stool

Reclaimed Oak last worked by my Father in the mid 1930's, (decommissioned furniture) Top 390mm X 230mm X 240mmH Finished with Chestnut Hard Wax Oil.
  8. Chas Jones

Hoooowwweeeee - here we go again

I don't do cold either, 24C (75F) here is an ideal low for me, unfortunately it has an annoying habit of going lower. For those that can't stand the high temp. numbers, Change to using Celsius, the numbers will be smaller :cool:
  9. Chas Jones

Cheating a little for a segmented bowl

To stand a reasonable chance of of constant wall thickness with concentric inner and outer walls you need to turn both inner and outer without releasing blank from from chuck, In theory yes, if the inner and outer are not concentric then remounting blank offset with either inner or outer running...
  10. Chas Jones

Cheating a little for a segmented bowl

A bowl should be completed in one session, not left to complete another day as wood is likely to move, although a segmented one should be less likely to move if wood moisture levels are 12% or less. As already mentioned, if tools are not sharp and presented to stop hand bounce as it passes...
  11. Chas Jones

Dry Flower Vase

Cherry, 190mm high. CSS, Buffed & Microcrystalline wax finish.
  12. Chas Jones

Cake Stand

They do Daren, unfortunately when they are like these they don't last long, the Calories hang around for much longer though. You've just got to be prepared for the former and accept the latter. Christmas Cake. Simnel Cake
  13. Chas Jones

Cake Stand

Ash, 300mm diameter. CSS, Buffed, Microcrystalline wax finish.
  14. Chas Jones

Walnut Bowl

Thanks Ryan and everyone else for encouraging comments made about recent pieces. I try to produce bits with an individual character, at least that's my excuse, the fact that the piece of wood dictates a high percentage of the form is just a coincidence, honest. Not sure of species of walnut...
  15. Chas Jones

Walnut Bowl

200 mm diam, CSS, Buffed & Microcrystalline wax finish.
  16. Chas Jones

Another Pencil Pot

Cherry again, CSS, Buffed & microcrystalline wax finish.
  17. Chas Jones

More Cherry

A Glass lined Vase (154mm high) CSS, Buffed, Microcrystalline wax finish. And maybe of interest after Vaughn asked about hollowing, And when down at bottom of the bore it's helpful to use an angled cuter with good side and end rake clearance to avoid the snatching you can get with wider...
  18. Chas Jones

An Oddment of Cherry,

Do you use a Sanding Sealer Chuck? a decently formulated sealer can stiffen any raised grain, seal/fill adjacent pores and act as an abrasive lubricant. I find it can considerably enhance abrasive cutting performance and speed of surface consolidation. Also with soft and porous wood wet sanding...
  19. Chas Jones

An Oddment of Cherry,

Nothing wrong with 80 grit in the appropriate circumstances, it's just a multi facetted cutting tool. I aim for 120 start but don't get paranoid if 80 has to be resorted to.
  20. Chas Jones

An Oddment of Cherry,

I start off with abrasive wrapped around a split stick. Then I move onto Drill driven sanding pads mounted with square cut sanding sheet, the corner flaps then act similar to a flap wheel and work on the sides of the piece. If necessary with an extension bar.