Search results

1. Charles Lent

How many of you use Incra rulers?

I have a few of them, including the one with the T square extrusion. Like everyone else, they get used whenever precision marking is needed, but I tend to rely more on my Wixey table saw digital fence readout for most cutting accuracy. I have other centering rulers that tend to get used more...
  2. Charles Lent

A Quick Plane Ride

The daughter of one of my friends was a stewardess with American and was flying to and from London. He came to work one morning with hot cross buns fresh from the bakery in London for us to enjoy at our coffee break. She had arrived home with them just before he was leaving for work, so he...
  3. Charles Lent

A Quick Plane Ride

My oldest son and I had a Piper Cherokee Arrow, and we flew much of the East Coast together in the 1990's. It was common for us to fly to Myrtle Beach or other places along the East Coast for lunch or dinner, or just to walk on the beach for a while and then head back home, about an hour and ten...
  4. Charles Lent

The Mighty Wedge

Sycamore is a very unusual wood. I had some boards given to me and they made some interesting small projects I never tried splitting or burning any, except maybe some of the small (tiny) pieces left over from those boards, but I didn't watch how they burned. I have several plastic trash cans...
  5. Charles Lent

The Mighty Wedge

Ever try splitting Cottonwood with wedges? I've come to the conclusion that it can't be done. Even a good hydraulic splitter has problems. It doesn't split, more like shreds apart. Charley
  6. Charles Lent

Best router for a beginner

A 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 HP router is a good first router choice, but get a kit. It will save money in the long run, and give you much more capability and versatility. A good adjustable multi-use fence for it should be your next purchase. The routers, like rabbits, can multiply quickly, once you begin...
  7. Charles Lent

PSA: MIG gun tips are consumables....

"#2 son sounds like an A #1 guy!!" He is. I was quite proud of #1 son too, who worked as a line tech for the cable company, and one of the crew who made the RoadRunner Internet System work here. He was also a pilot and was working on his multi engine endorsement. We had a Piper Cherokee Arrow...
  8. Charles Lent

PSA: MIG gun tips are consumables....

Cleaning the metal to be welded at the weld location makes a big difference too. Using gas instead of flux core is another giant step up to getting great welds. I was pretty well set up to do metal fab, until I needed a pacemaker 3 years ago. They made me give up doing anything with arcing...
  9. Charles Lent

Hits Just Keep on Coming ... HOT! ... HVAC Quit! ... UPDATE!!!

For less than the cost of a service call, you can replace the start and run capacitor (sometimes within one container) plus the fan capacitor. There may be limit switches tripped, so reset them too. You will likely be out about $50. If this doesn't work, then it's more serious and a service call...
  10. Charles Lent

Hits Just Keep on Coming ... HOT! ... HVAC Quit! ... UPDATE!!!

I'm betting that it's a capacitor, either the one for the compressor or the one for the outside unit fan. If the fan doesn't operate, the compressor will build up excessive pressure and trip a safety limit. If they left a leak after replacing the compressor, it could be out of refrigerant, and...
  11. Charles Lent

What stain?

I've had good luck with ZAR gel wood stains on hardwoods. With soft woods, especially pine, a pre-stain sealer is needed, and it should be sprayed on to prevent blotching. Then I apply the stain. I then usually put several coats of poly, lightly sanding after the first coat usually with 220...
  12. Charles Lent

Maybe a topic; Dumb questions asked.

My son and a friend of his were in Lowes buying a 60 gallon 3 hp vertical tank air compressor, and they were wheeling it through the check-out on a hand truck. The cashier rang it up and then asked "When that thing runs out of air, do you have to bring it back?" My son said that he turned and...
  13. Charles Lent

Any Adirondack Chair Recommendations/Tips?

Treated lumber in contact with skin is not a good idea. Neither is the top surface of tables that will have food placed on them. I've made many Adirondack chairs and tables and learned this the hard way. For every other part, it's fine. Use white oak, hickory, or something else for the skin and...
  14. Charles Lent

Bathroom remodel

You might consider replacing the window with a smaller one located up high. An insulated 3 pane window that's shorter and located high in the existing opening would be less affected by the shower water hitting it as it would likely not reach that high. We did this with a recent bathroom remodel...
  15. Charles Lent

UPDATE: Air Compressor Problem

Darren, Warm moist air rises and cooler air falls. The quicker and cooler you can get the air, the faster it will release the moisture. Get as close to the atmospheric temperature around it as possible before you draw it out of the tank and the moisture will have condensed out of this air while...
  16. Charles Lent

Foggy evening

The field behind my previous home in NY State had so many fireflies on those "special nights" when the temperature and humidity were just right, that it looked like blue-green ocean waves of constant but twinkling light all the way across the field. We frequently watched them from the fence line...
  17. Charles Lent

it is official....

When I retired 26 years ago I had all kinds of projects planned, and every day I worked on those projects as if I had to get each of them done by the following Monday. Then it hit me "Wait a minute, I've got the rest of my life to do this. Why am I trying to get it done by Monday?" It took me a...
  18. Charles Lent

Inlay Conundrum

Practice, practice, practice, and then more practice. Find what works well before attempting on the finished piece. At this point I usually break out in a blue sweat (severe tension) when doing the actual real part. Charley
  19. Charles Lent

Keep a close eye on that Harbor Freight drain. My first one failed in 2 months. The second failed in 4 months. Now I have the fat pipe version of a reservoir under my 80 gallon tank and a manual ball valve and piping to vent the accumulated condensate to the outside of my compressor shed...
  20. Charles Lent

A 15 psi drop overnight is going to be hard to find, but worth looking for. You're gaining on it! Charley