Search results

1. Mike Stafford

Sawdust and Snakes

My father bought 37 acres of land when he moved in Winston-Salem although we actually lived right outside in Forsyth County. He gave his mother and father one acre of that property where they built a house not far from ours. It was a long and narrow piece of land which included some open...
  2. Mike Stafford

Pedestal bowl....

One of the hardest things for me to do is to turn a tall pedestal bowl and hollow out the foot afterwards to reduce the weight of the project. In this example I turned a pedestal bowl with a Hawaiian calabash form sitting atop the simple pedestal. All was well until it came time to hollow the...
  3. Mike Stafford

Little Japanese inspired condiment bowls...

Had a scrap of wood in my bucket that was included as filler material in a shipment of wood from a friend. I thought it was just a piece of scrap. It was dirty, nasty, painted on one end and not recognizable as anything of value. It was like a section of an undersized 2x4 but was fairly heavy...
  4. Mike Stafford

Router Bits for Sale

I have a very large accumulation of 1/2" router bits that I no longer use. Most of these bits are very lightly used and they all are premium carbide brands. They are all in their original rigid plastic display boxes. I don't begin to have any idea what they are worth as a group but I would...
  5. Mike Stafford

Box Books for sale SOLD!

When I was building boxes for sale I bought and referenced virtually every book on boxes I could find. I also clipped from magazines every article I could find on box building. I haven't built any boxes since I started wood turning. Here is a list of the books on boxes by author that I have...
  6. Mike Stafford

Japanese inspired bowls

I came across some interesting items while researching rice bowls- a huge history of Japanese wooden tableware. I have been trying to reproduce some of the bowl forms that have been in use for hundreds of years. Everyone recognizes a "rice bowl" but these bowls are not just for rice; they are...
  7. Mike Stafford

More Woodturning magazine

Dennis Daudelin of the Woodturning Online site recently acquired the More Woodturning online magazine that had been operated by Fred Holder for more than 20 years. With the loss of Woodturning Design magazine More Woodturning should help fill the niche for woodturning articles, projects and...
  8. Mike Stafford

Taco Soup

Jim Burr posted a chicken tortilla soup that I will be adding to my collection as it sounds delicious and flavorful. Here is one of my favorites using ground beef. Not as healthy as Jim's recipe but absolutely delicious to me. Taco Soup 2 lb ground beef (or ground turkey) 1 chopped onion...
  9. Mike Stafford

Cabbage Beef Soup

I don't know how many of you like soups but we really enjoy them and this is one of our favorite recipes for a wonderful meal in a bowl. It is not too difficult to make and fresh and hot out of the pot is delicious. It freezes well although as you would expect the cabbage loses some of its...
  10. Mike Stafford

Big Rattlesnake

Almost twenty years ago I came across a canebrake rattlesnake that had been hit by a car that was 7 feet 2 inches long and had 14 rattles and I thought that was a big snake. I came across this post on FaceBook where a father and son near Midway, Texas were hunting wild hogs from a blind when...
  11. Mike Stafford

Drill press and Skill saw lathe....not for the faint of heart!

I guess this qualifies as new lathe related equipment. If you are a redneck and fearless this may be the lathe set up for you. As someone said on another forum, "Hold my beer, watchiss!" :rofl::huh::p:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=unmYI5ruEeY&NR=1
  12. Mike Stafford

Steam Powered Box Shop

A friend sent me this link to a YouTube video showing the process this family uses to make boxes in their steam powered shop. The video is very high quality and I loved seeing how things were done in the good old days. I don't think this company has been visited by OSHA and I hope they never...
  13. Mike Stafford

How not to build a shed

Another friend came across this building thread in, of all places, a sport bike forum. Apparently this guy's landlord decide to build a shed for his garden equipment and the guy decided to record the event with his camera. When you see this you will not believe that anyone could know this...
  14. Mike Stafford

Need a good used pick up truck?

Saw this video and thought the woodturners out there looking for a beat up old truck with which to haul wood might be able to pick up one near the Alabama shoreline..... http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=125_1337256709
  15. Mike Stafford

Stu's Box

Now that I know it has safely arrived I will post a picture of a box I turned from some red keyaki that Stu Ablett sent me. It is a fabulous wood to turn as it cuts, sands and finishes beautifully. Stu gave the box to his wife and says she is thrilled with it. Makes me very happy to hear such...
  16. Mike Stafford

Sign on problem...

Today when I signed on I received this message. Have I been bad or is something screwy going on? Obviously I was able to navigate to the Forums page but I have never landed on a message such as this when signing on. Normally I land on the home page.
  17. Mike Stafford

Christmas gift birdhouses

After seeing Bernie's birdhouses I thought I might share some of mine. Don't tell any of my relatives about them as that's what they are getting for Christmas. Like Bernie they have been selling very well and I have no inventory left which is always a good thing. Most are about 1 3/4" in...
  18. Mike Stafford

What do you get.....

if you stick five blondes in a freezer? Keep scrolling.... Keep scrolling.... Keep scrolling..... Are you ready? Frosted flakes.....:rofl:
  19. Mike Stafford

Sunsets

Seeing Ned Bulken's beautiful pictures inspired me to share a few of my own from my trip to Norway. I recently was blessed with the opportunity to spend two weeks on M/S Gann during the Woodturning Cruise 2011 demonstrating for Hunter Tools. What a fabulous trip! I highly recommend this trip...
  20. Mike Stafford

Saving Social Security and Medicare

To save the economy, on September 28, 2011, Congress announced that it is ordering the immigration department to start deporting old people (instead of illegal aliens) in order to lower Social Security and Medicare costs. Old people are easier to catch, and will not remember how to get back...