Search results

1. Jeff Wright

Way to Go, David Richards!

This month's issue of Fine Woodworking features a great article on using SketchUp. Contributor David Richards is featured in that article. Great work David! Edit: Whoops! I now see David's publishing success was already mentioned in an earlier post. This site's editors may want to delete this...
  2. Jeff Wright

Pocket Door Track Recommendations

I am about to build a wall and install a pocket door. The wall will be wider than the standard 2x4 wall as the existing opening is in a block wall. Both sides of the wall are inside living areas. So the wall thickness to be built will be about 8 inches or so. I want to be sure the track I use is...
  3. Jeff Wright

New Duginske Band Saw Book Out

I placed my pre-order some months ago for Mark Duginske's new band saw book. I just received the book last week and have read most of it. It is clearly written and not embellished with too many words . . . to the point. It includes a good section on blade selection. He addresses blade tensioning...
  4. Jeff Wright

Great SU Streaming Learning Video

You can watch a one-hour streaming video at this site that is very comprehensive and an outstanding way for folks new to SU to get a fast start in learning the program: http://download.sketchup.com/downloads/training/tutorials50/Sketchup%20Video%20Tutorials.html
  5. Jeff Wright

SU Plugins Inoperative

I have tried installing a couple additional SU plugins without success. I have been simply placing the plugin file, a Ruby file, into the Plugin folder in SketchUp. Some plugins are contained in their own folder within the Plugin folder while others are placed in the SU Plugin folder without...
  6. Jeff Wright

Tutorial For Using Cutlist PlugIn in SU and CutlistPlus

Here is an attempt to create a how-to on using the the powerful plugin cutlist in SU and importing that file into Cutlist Plus. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58571 Note: If such links to other forums are not permitted, please delete . . . and then please explain why they're...
  7. Jeff Wright

Problem Push/Pulling A Rail

In the attached photo of a rail I created, I am having trouble changing the length of the rail. Looking at the end, you'll see that the rail appears to be comprised of many smaller parts. When I try to push or pull to change the length, each area needs to be altered and some of those areas won't...
  8. Jeff Wright

SketchUp Ogee Rail & Stile Template Available

I couldn't ignore the buzz any longer. I began my quest to learn SketchUp a few days ago by printing out the 370 page user's manual, watched a number of video training clips online and lurked around a few threads. Below are some pics of a wall cabinet I created that features a 3/8" rail and...
  9. Jeff Wright

Domino Refinement

Here's a patent-pending (by yours truly) idea . . . . One of the limitations with the Domino is mortising narrow pieces such as rail and styles. The two registering pins are great when using wider boards, but are unusable with narrower 2 to 3-inch boards. I've tried the approach of aligning the...
  10. Jeff Wright

Working Towards 1/64s Accuracy

[NOTE: This thread is a duplicate to one posted on SCM. I'd like to get the input from members of this forum as well. Thanks!] At age (nearly) 60, I look back over my lifetime and see myself as having been (and now being) two woodworkers. Thirty years ago, I accepted cutting tolerances of a...
  11. Jeff Wright

DMT Diamond Sharpening Bench Stones Recommendation Request

I am assembling my sharpening tools. I plan to get both the 4000 and 8000 Norton stones, and since I have read disappointing reviews of the Norton coarse stones, I will instead get a DMT duo diamond sharpening bench stone to both flatten my Norton stones and the backs of my chisels and plane...
  12. Jeff Wright

Laguna Driftmaster Bandsaw Fence Upgrade

Anybody have the recently introduced Driftmaster bandsaw fence from Laguna? I am considering installing it on my MM20. I especially like its ability to adjust on-the-fly for drift and the microadjustment for cutting veneers without having to rejoint after each cut. How involved is its...
  13. Jeff Wright

Plywood Panel Carrier Handle - Help Me Find It

I recently saw a handle device designed to carry a panel of plywood (or I suppose drywall). It is NOT the one that attaches itself to the bottom of the panel, but instead it slips over the TOP edge of the panel and as you lift it up it clamps onto the panel. The heavier the panel, the greater...
  14. Jeff Wright

Using Drawer Slides With Inset Drawers - Is It A Nightmare?

In building our kitchen, I prefer the look of the inset door rather than an overlay style. I also want to use a high-quality drawer slide, one that prevents drawer slamming. Do any of you have experience installing slides like the Blum BluMotion Tanden undermount (the style not visible when the...
  15. Jeff Wright

Why Would The Delta 20" Drill Press NOT Be A Good Choice?

I am researching a new Drill Press. I have looked at the new Delta 20" introduced at the Atlanta show, but its availability keeps getting delayed - now sometime February or March '07. I like its 6"+ quill travel. The new Powermatic 2800 is out and available. However, the Delta 20" 70-200 has...
  16. Jeff Wright

How Do You Create Your Cut Lists?

I will soon begin designing and building our new kitchen. I am leaning towards face frame construction with inset drawers and doors. My shop includes a MiniMax combo machine equipped with an 8' slider to handle the sheet stock. 1] What methods do you use to create your cut lists? Do you have...
  17. Jeff Wright

Festool Sander Advice

I am outfitting my new shop and want to add some sanding tools. I will be making furniture and cabinets mostly. I have no sanding equipment currently (except for a small jitterbug). I am getting the Festool 1400 router and C22 vacuum and like their dust handling capabilities, so I want to stay...
  18. Jeff Wright

Machine Delivery Help Resource

I have just completed a 10-page .PDF file (a little over 1MB in size) that contains nearly 50 photos with descriptive captions showing the delivery of my new MiniMax 410 Elite combo and MM20 band saw. I believe it could be a help for those folks expecting a new machinery delivery. Because the...