Search results

1. Roger Tulk

Let me be the first

Great quilt! A year or so ago when my wife and I drove down to Boston to see my daughter and grandchildren, we stopped at about half-a-dozen quilting stores along the way, taking an extra half-day on our trip. Marion makes quilts for the family as well as for Victoria Quilts and all of that...
  2. Roger Tulk

Lookin' out for number two.

My wife is part of a group of ladies at my church who make quilts for an organization, Victoria Quilts, which makes quilts to be given to cancer survivors. Ours is only one of the number of such groups. When I get my shop going I plan to make quilt racks, and sell them when the local group has...
  3. Roger Tulk

I'm baaaaaack!

I'm sorry to hear that, Bill. I have to say these two medications have been very good for me. Different Strokes!
  4. Roger Tulk

I'm baaaaaack!

Bill, I have two medications, Pregabaline and Duloxetine. they are both antidepressants with an off-label use for neuropathy I also have Tylenol 2 for when the pain gets a little harsh. I already take an antidepressant and a couple of my other medications are also antidepressants with...
  5. Roger Tulk

I'm baaaaaack!

I am truly overwhelmed by the kindness of your responses! Thank you so much, all of you. In my absence I have taken up archery as a hobby because I can do it while standing still. Because I like making things, I assemble my own arrows from parts, and also make my own strings. I started the...
  6. Roger Tulk

4510 ridgid riving knife

in the last two years my sons have used my very nice r4510 ridgid table saw. Of course they removed the riving knife which holds the anti-kickback Pawl and blade protector. I have searched everywhere I could think that it might be but I cannot find the riving knife. a local repairer and...
  7. Roger Tulk

I'm baaaaaack!

I think some of you may remember me. I've been out of woodworking for sometime now since about the last time I posted. I've had 3 years of bad health and depression. The depression lifted off me somehow last November, and since then I've been trying to slowly get myself back to myself. I am...
  8. Roger Tulk

Very quick quesiton about switch

The switch on my lathe burned uup a couple of days ago, while I was doing a little job for my brother, which was the first time I had turned the lathe on this year. (Healthwise, I'm just finding my feet again.) I found the identical switch on Amazon and ordered it, and it arrived today. So I had...
  9. Roger Tulk

Post #3,000, the return of the nerd.

I've been away from woodworking for some time now. I am suffering from a lack of energy resources. Four hours light work is about my limit. I restored our porch little by little this spring, but it took way too long. I am to the point where I don't need to be pushed though airports in a...
  10. Roger Tulk

Hand me down my walking cane...

A couple of weeks ago I went with my family to a lovely wooded area called Woodend. As I couldn't keep up with the bunch I sat on a stump awhile, then noticed a small piece of branch, about 5" long and 1½" think, and decided to play a little golf. So, I took my stance and performed a nice chip...
  11. Roger Tulk

Take a bow!

I have started two new bows. The first is a Mollgebat bow, a design copied from an ancient bow found in a bog in Denmark. It is about 1200 years old, I believe. It is similar to the Homgaard bow which was also found in a Danish bog. Here are some pictures of my progress so far. The bow is weird...
  12. Roger Tulk

My Thanksgiving experiment

We had about 15 people coming for Thanksgiving dinner, which we held on Sunday night, so my wife told me I was going to smoke a whole turkey for dinner. Now, the issue with this is that I have never smoked anything much larger than a pork chop, Oh, OK, I smoked a ham once but I wasn't happy with...
  13. Roger Tulk

Stuck garden hose connection.

My wife came to me last night to ask me to reconnect the hose tot the outside tap. Turned out the hose connection had separated, leaving the brass nut on the tap. So I got a wrench, and tried to remove it. Uh-uh, not moving, and I was afraid I would damage the tap itself if I wrenched any...
  14. Roger Tulk

A flatbow build

At last, my pictures are ready. I've shot about 140 arrows through the bow, and it is very comfortable to shoot witn no unpleasant vibration. I'm getting a little more accurate with it, and with a little tuning I should be able to shoot it very well. The pics are self explanatory, i think.
  15. Roger Tulk

Does anyone else do this?

I"m very used to Facebook, where you just hit "enter" after you post, and it posts. I think I've done a couple of posts here, hit 'enter' and then gone on my merry way assuming that everything is copacetic. I was reading a thread today that I was sure Ihad posted in , ut my post wasnt' there...
  16. Roger Tulk

A flatbow build

Almost there! OK. This is the bow at full draw, 26" on the tillering string. So far it only racks up 15# on the luggage scale. I understand we have another one around so I'll double check. If it is that light, I'll fire a couple hundred arrows through it, and then give it to some kid whose...
  17. Roger Tulk

A flatbow build

OK - Peetchas! I applied a backing today - two layers of Fibatape which I chose because it has a finer mesh and is thinner than the usual drywall tape. I have to leave it to dry overnight, and will trim it down tomorrow, and probably shape the handle if everything looks OK. Then I have to...
  18. Roger Tulk

A flatbow build

Here is the bow on the tillering stand. I think I made a slight mistake in taking too much wood off in shaping the limbs. It draws about 15# as shown here. As there's a lot more draw to come when I put a real string on it, and if I put a backing on the bow, it should be over 20#. I'm hoping for...
  19. Roger Tulk

A flatbow build

Don't knock my nocks! Yesterday and today I applied tip overlays, in walnut, and also shaped the overlays and cut the nocks for the string. I'm hoping that when painted black, people will ask me if they are horn nocks, but then again.... I glued together the pieces of wood, walnut and canary...
  20. Roger Tulk

A flatbow build

This is the progress so far on my bow. It is a flatbow, sometimes erroneously called a longbow. This design came out of research by US scientists testing various kinds of bows including native and European bows. My primary design is from a 1941 article in Popular Mechanics. I will be making a...