Search results

1. Roger Tulk

Lookin' out for number two.

My wife is part of a group of ladies at my church who make quilts for an organization, Victoria Quilts, which makes quilts to be given to cancer survivors. Ours is only one of the number of such groups. When I get my shop going I plan to make quilt racks, and sell them when the local group has...
  2. Roger Tulk

4510 ridgid riving knife

in the last two years my sons have used my very nice r4510 ridgid table saw. Of course they removed the riving knife which holds the anti-kickback Pawl and blade protector. I have searched everywhere I could think that it might be but I cannot find the riving knife. a local repairer and...
  3. Roger Tulk

I'm baaaaaack!

I think some of you may remember me. I've been out of woodworking for sometime now since about the last time I posted. I've had 3 years of bad health and depression. The depression lifted off me somehow last November, and since then I've been trying to slowly get myself back to myself. I am...
  4. Roger Tulk

Very quick quesiton about switch

The switch on my lathe burned uup a couple of days ago, while I was doing a little job for my brother, which was the first time I had turned the lathe on this year. (Healthwise, I'm just finding my feet again.) I found the identical switch on Amazon and ordered it, and it arrived today. So I had...
  5. Roger Tulk

Post #3,000, the return of the nerd.

I've been away from woodworking for some time now. I am suffering from a lack of energy resources. Four hours light work is about my limit. I restored our porch little by little this spring, but it took way too long. I am to the point where I don't need to be pushed though airports in a...
  6. Roger Tulk

Hand me down my walking cane...

A couple of weeks ago I went with my family to a lovely wooded area called Woodend. As I couldn't keep up with the bunch I sat on a stump awhile, then noticed a small piece of branch, about 5" long and 1½" think, and decided to play a little golf. So, I took my stance and performed a nice chip...
  7. Roger Tulk

Take a bow!

I have started two new bows. The first is a Mollgebat bow, a design copied from an ancient bow found in a bog in Denmark. It is about 1200 years old, I believe. It is similar to the Homgaard bow which was also found in a Danish bog. Here are some pictures of my progress so far. The bow is weird...
  8. Roger Tulk

My Thanksgiving experiment

We had about 15 people coming for Thanksgiving dinner, which we held on Sunday night, so my wife told me I was going to smoke a whole turkey for dinner. Now, the issue with this is that I have never smoked anything much larger than a pork chop, Oh, OK, I smoked a ham once but I wasn't happy with...
  9. Roger Tulk

Stuck garden hose connection.

My wife came to me last night to ask me to reconnect the hose tot the outside tap. Turned out the hose connection had separated, leaving the brass nut on the tap. So I got a wrench, and tried to remove it. Uh-uh, not moving, and I was afraid I would damage the tap itself if I wrenched any...
  10. Roger Tulk

Does anyone else do this?

I"m very used to Facebook, where you just hit "enter" after you post, and it posts. I think I've done a couple of posts here, hit 'enter' and then gone on my merry way assuming that everything is copacetic. I was reading a thread today that I was sure Ihad posted in , ut my post wasnt' there...
  11. Roger Tulk

A flatbow build

This is the progress so far on my bow. It is a flatbow, sometimes erroneously called a longbow. This design came out of research by US scientists testing various kinds of bows including native and European bows. My primary design is from a 1941 article in Popular Mechanics. I will be making a...
  12. Roger Tulk

Board exam...

Once the weather warmed up, I started to finish a couple of small projects I had to quit last fall when the weather turned against me. Here are a kneading board, and a cheese board. I may give the cheese board to my daughter, as my wife was less than thrilled to have another cheese board. She...
  13. Roger Tulk

New whip...

I've had this for a couple of weeks now, but I'm never prompt at putting pics on. This is the replacement for my wonderful Ford Ranger. I now have a wonderful Hyundai Tucson. I can haul smaller bits of lumber ~6ft, but it's a great vehicle to drive, and gets more than twice the mileage of the...
  14. Roger Tulk

Going back home to Blighty

My last, and favourite, uncle died last Friday at the age of 94. He was a remarkable man who lived a full life, from joining the Merchant Navy in WW2 while underage, to obtaining a degree while in his forties and getting promoted from school caretaker to school teacher. He was always fun, and...
  15. Roger Tulk

My lovely 2003 Ranger

..is no more. After spending more than $5,000 on the body work and exhaust and brakes, I managed to smash into another car. See the damage below. The white car is the one I hit. Fortunately the woman in the car was in shock, but nothiing worse, and I only sprained my thumb slightly. This was on...
  16. Roger Tulk

My big super-duper turning present for Christmas

After watching Stu's excellent video for using a bedan tool, I decided to get one for myself. So I put it on my list for my Secret Santa, and he was kind enough to get one for me. As he didn't have access to a LV, he got me this lovely Robert Sorby one, making me very happy, and wishing for...
  17. Roger Tulk

Bow making?

I had started to make a bbow out of white oak, but set it aside as the weather closed in. Then the local college sent its part time calendar, which included a course in "Professional Bow Making." Well, said I, that's just the thing I need to tide me over the winter. So I went online and found...
  18. Roger Tulk

Again?

Had a nice morning trout fishing with my son and son-in-law on the Niagara River, at -7ºC, and not catching anything. Got home, sat reading for a while. went for a nap as I was falling asleep, next thing I knew the paramedics were asking me if I knew where I was. I didn't, at first, but I...
  19. Roger Tulk

Where I am.

Yesterday I had a severe low blood sugar. It occurred after my wife had got up. I was halfway out of the bed, as i had tried to get up and failed, and passed out. Marion came into the bedroom to get something and tried to get me to get in the bed properly. She was unable to wake me, even after...
  20. Roger Tulk

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Yes, it's Thanksgiving Monday in Canada and most of the Commonwealth and former colonies. I don't know what they do south of the equator, but as our Thanksgiving stems from ancient rituals to celebrate a good harvest, they probably celebtae in or around April. The date of the holiday was fixed...