Search results

1. Mike Henderson

Folding Party Stands

About a year ago, I did the marquetry for these party stands (something to sit your drink and food on). But other projects always got in the way of finishing them. Over the past week to ten days, I was able to put some time into them and finally got them finished. Each one is a different wood...
  2. Mike Henderson

Rustic Chair (in process)

Some months back, a house in my neighborhood was being renovated and the homeowner put some things at the curb with a sign that said "Free". One thing was a header beam, about 5 1/2" by 9" by about 10' long. I had no idea what I'd use it for, but free wood is free wood, so I picked it up (with...
  3. Mike Henderson

Coffee table in progress

My wife, Judy, has been asking me to build a coffee table for over a year. But somehow, other projects just got in the way. Late last year, the threats grew serious and I knew it was time to get cracking on the table. It's still in progress but I'll show what I've done so far and update when...
  4. Mike Henderson

Repair - Refinishing of six dining room chairs

I really dislike repairing and refinishing old furniture but I sometimes get hooked into it. Most "old" furniture is just factory made stuff, and "old" usually means early 20th century. Anyway, this is six walnut dining room chairs. I wish I had taken "before" pictures but I didn't think of it...
  5. Mike Henderson

Evaluation of the LV PM-V11 chisel for chopping dovetails

Some time back, I expressed an interest (in a forum post on Saw Mill Creek) in the new Lee Valley PM-V11 chisels for use in chopping dovetails. Rob Lee contacted me and offered to send me a 3/8" chisel to evaluate, providing I gave him feedback on it. I set up a testing procedure and tested the...
  6. Mike Henderson

Need film scanner for 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 negatives

Back in the dark ages, before digital cameras, I used to do professional photography (mostly weddings) and used a camera that took 2.25" by 2.25" negatives (actually that's the outside dimensions so the actual image size is a bit smaller). I also used my camera for personal photographs. I have...
  7. Mike Henderson

Pirate joke

Okay, Vaughn's posting of the parrot story inspired me to tell this joke: How much does it cost a pirate to have his ears pierced? Oh, about a buccaneer. Mike
  8. Mike Henderson

Morning Glory on Trellis Marquetry

Here's a couple of marquetry panels I'm working on right now. I'll cut them to size, add some banding and a border, and glue them to a substrate - then finish. So there's still a lot of work to do yet. This was a "difficult" project. I did three revisions of the design, so just the drawing...
  9. Mike Henderson

Some Marquetry

I'm doing a project right now which will require a number of marquetry panels. Here's one that I thought came out nicely. The field is figured white oak in a half radial pattern (I discovered that oak veneer can be quite difficult to work with). The marquetry woods are holly, cherry, mahogany...
  10. Mike Henderson

Tutorial on Installing Quadrant Hinges without a Router

Some time back, I volunteered (on another woodworking forum) to do a tutorial on installing quadrant hinges. But to install quadrant hinges, you need a box and I didn't have any plans to build a box anytime soon. Scott Krallman contacted me and volunteered to send me a box to do the tutorial. He...
  11. Mike Henderson

For Vaughan McMillan

I was in Santa Cruz recently and stopped in a high end kitchen supply store. One thing that caught my eye was that they had rolling pins - probably hand made - for sale. I took some pictures with my cell phone so they're not very good. Some were just solid wood - I don't remember all of them...
  12. Mike Henderson

New Shop Dog

When Judy and I married last year, she brought her dog, Jonas, into the marriage. Jonas quickly became a shop dog, keeping me company while I worked in the shop. But Jonas was older and developed cancer - we had to put him down recently. So, a couple of days ago, we went to the pound and...
  13. Mike Henderson

Marquetry Course with Paul Schurch

I took a five day marquetry class with Paul Schurch (in Santa Barbara) over the past week. It was a pretty intense course but I feel I learned a lot. You can see more about the class - I posted every day on my progress - here. Anyway, you can see pictures of the panel I did in the class...
  14. Mike Henderson

Hawk Model 226VS Scroll Saw

I bought a used Hawk 226VS scroll saw yesterday to use in my marquetry work. However, the guy didn't have a manual. Before Hawk was sold, they used to make their manuals available on their web site. If someone downloaded the manual, and still has it in PDF, I'd very much appreciate if you'd...
  15. Mike Henderson

Second Marquetry Panel

Here's another marquetry panel I'm doing in preparation for my class in November. On this one, I did the drawing myself, based on a picture of a water lily flower I found on the web. There's several problems with this piece: the lily pads should show more depth, which I could have done by...
  16. Mike Henderson

CPSC ANPR on table saws

That means "Consumer Product Safety Commission Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking". They are asking for comments on requiring a safety feature on table saws. See here for one commissioner's comments. Anyone know how to submit comments on this subject? They say you can go to...
  17. Mike Henderson

First Marquetry Project

I've done veneer work for a number of years, including geometric designs in veneer. But I've never done marquetery. Recently, I signed up for Paul Schurch's marquetry class in November in Santa Barbara. To prepare for the class, I got his DVD and followed the instructions to do a modification of...
  18. Mike Henderson

Need Scroll Saw Recommendation

It looks like I'll have to buy a deep throat scroll saw soon. What would you recommend for a 22" or 24" throat length saw, to be used for marquetry? I definitely want a variable speed unit. Beyond that, I'm willing to make tradeoffs for price. Once I have a couple of recommendations, I'll...
  19. Mike Henderson

4GB (2x2GB) Laptop Memory - $20 shipped CONUS

Well, my laptop gasped it's last and died (your life passes before your eyes when your computer, which has EVERYTHING on it, won't boot). Luckily, the disk drive was okay so I was able to connect it to my desktop and save my data. But the motherboard in the laptop is gone. I had 4GB of memory...
  20. Mike Henderson

Making a Step Stool

I just completed a tutorial on making a step stool. While this might seem elementary, when the legs splay out (as they should) the project gets a bit complex calculating the angles to cut, and actually cutting them, so everything fits together well. Your comments and suggestions will be...