Search results

1. fred hargis

Need to make a pet urn.

We lost our beloved little dog last week. Only 5, she apparently developed some kind of neuroogical problem that wouldn't allow her to control her legs. So standing, walking, and most movements were a struggle. Anyway, I had her creamated and now need to make a small urn for the ashes. Not...
  2. fred hargis

An IRS story

which may be proof of their need for additional help. In December of 2021 we received a letter from the IRS that said we had a "credit" in our account but they hadn't received our 2020 tax return. Now, that return had been filed in Feb. of 2021 (paper return) and included a check for the balance...
  3. fred hargis

Inflation (beyond the price of gasoline)

We don't worry much about inflation...that is to say we don't eat all that much, being retired we don't drive much, and Marie is handicapped so we don't go out much. Even so, my electric supplier notified their customers last week that starting in June they are raising rates by 6¢/KWH....at our...
  4. fred hargis

Question about air fryers

Marie is wanting an air fryer. Besides the fact that we don't have room for any more counter top appliances, it strikes me that these are nothing more than small convection ovens. If that's true I can't imagine one doing anything that the oven won't do. How close to truth is my conception?
  5. fred hargis

Huh??? (for you techno-types)

I'm fairly certain some of you guys will want to get in line for this introduction....I know I intend to order one. :rofl:
  6. fred hargis

The beat goes on.....

7. fred hargis

New to me Router plane

When Lee Valley had their seconds sale a few weeks back, I saw their large Router plane included for $130 (I think). I've wanted one for some time but never got around to pulling the trigger. Alas, I passed it up on their sale, though I did pick up a bench chisel. Anyway, another week or so...
  8. fred hargis

Best laid plans of mice and dipwads sometimes pay off....

(Me being the dipwad.) Ever since a discussion was here earlier in the year about pellet smokers, I've been considering getting one. I have a Kamado egg type grill (not "the" egg) and really like the way food comes off it, but it needs tending and a brisket gets to be a little tedious. The...
  9. fred hargis

A pepper mill

This is certainly not a big deal for any of you experienced turners......but I'm not a turner. Anyway, someone in the house thought we needed a pepper mill to "experience the great taste of fresh ground pepper". I thought, well I have a lathe and some tools....why not? Oh, yeh...forgot the part...
  10. fred hargis

Not totally flatwork, but.....

Some years ago I bought a lathe though I'm not a turner. I had always planned on doing turnings for my flatwork stuff and somehow just didn't get around to it. A couple of months ago I was reading an issue of PWW from last year (I'm way behind on my magazines) and came across a "William and Mary...
  11. fred hargis

Festool CS, you could've knocked me over with a feather.

I only have 3 Festool tools, and only one was bought new. I have soem problems with the way the control prices. Anyway, one of my used tools is a Domino, the 700 model (big one). A week ago Sunday I was cutting mortises with it and on the 6th one the bit/oscillations slowed down considerably...
  12. fred hargis

HOORAY! It's super bowl Sunday!!!

Lest anyone misunderstand my happiness over today, I should explain I don't follow any spectator sports. So my jubliance is over the fact the the infernal footbal season is over, and the games will no longer interfere with regular TV schedules...particularly the weekend evening news. I realize...
  13. fred hargis

CMT router bits, 50% off

I caught this on another forum, and thought some of you might be interested. Sommerfeld tools has a sale on some CMT bit patterns, and the price is great if you need any of them in your inventory. I suspect everyone knows of CMT bits, but if not these are the Italian made extremely high quality...
  14. fred hargis

Eyeglass wearers, a question

My wife doesn't get out much anymore, she's high risk and chooses to stay home. But when she does go shopping she wears a mask, normally a surgical disposal type. She also wears eyeglasses, and I watched her struggle to see through the fogged up glasses as we were in the store last Tuesday. Does...
  15. fred hargis

What the heck is a "murphy door"?

My S-I-L sent me a text (I guess millennials don't call anymore) asking if I had any plans for a "Murphy door". Dumb me doesn't even know that one is....which I think means I don't have any plans for one. But just is case it's called something else I though I'd ask here. Anyone care to enlighten me?
  16. fred hargis

LV free shipping, no minimum

I just got the e mail announcing this, as did many of you....but this is the first time I've seen their free shipping with no minimum order.
  17. fred hargis

Titebond II $8/Gal

if you have a Menards nearby, it's good today and tomorrow, One of those $10 mail in rebate deals which might not appeal to everyone.
  18. fred hargis

Finally buiilding something

Tomorrow will be the second anniversary of our move to this house. It's taken that long to get a shop up and finished to where I can work. I now have the big power tools in there and have started building the cabinets that will form my shop desk. Man, that feels good. My small stuff (hand tools...
  19. fred hargis

New computer and something isn't working..

I've replaced my old computer (Mac mini) with an Imac, it's running OS 10.12. But now every time I open my FWW link, I have to sign in; even tough I've clicked the "remember me" button several times. Not a big deal, but still bothers me it doesn't just link me up as being signed in. I may have...
  20. fred hargis

Little update on my shop

It's been quite a while since I mentioned my shop, that's because I'm been sitting on my thumbs waiting for a drywall guys to show up (since last May). Anyway, they got here last week and got started. The building is divided into 2 rooms, one will be the shop, the smaller one for storage and...