Search results

1. Steve Kniffen

Mortar and Pestle

Much of the last year has been spent being the executor for a cousin's estate so I haven't had as many opportunities to turn something as in previous years. Pretty well all finished now except for final income tax return next year. Have a daughter-in-law in culinary school. She asked "can you...
  2. Steve Kniffen

Piston Box Zoom Demo

Tod from Woodturning Tool Store in Allen, TX is doing a demo on Zoom about how to turn a piston box. This demo will be on Tues, 5/19, 7:00-9:00 pm CDT. A description of the demo and a short video are on his website: https://woodturningtoolstore.com/ . I have no association with this...
  3. Steve Kniffen

Woodturning classes in DFW Oct 18-19

In case you haven't heard, five woodturning clubs in the DFW area have come together and are sponsoring 2 days of hands on turning classes in Irving. Each day has been split into four two-hour blocks. You can sign up for 2 classes each day. Classes are repeated over both days so if one is...
  4. Steve Kniffen

Jimmy Clewes Class Projects

Aug 30-Sept 3, WoodworldTX in Dallas hosted Jimmy Clewes teaching a variety of projects. I was fortunate enough to attend his Friday session. I signed up because I wanted to learn to turn the tri-cornered box and I did learn to do that. That was just a morning project, though. He asked what...
  5. Steve Kniffen

PSI Revolver Pens

Penn State has come out with another novelty pen, the revolver. I saw the video of it on their site and decided I needed to get a few of those, but as with most new items in the catalog or online, they weren't in stock yet. As soon as they arrived, I ordered them. If you're not familiar with...
  6. Steve Kniffen

Latest and Greatest from Craftsman - must have

Got this from the Craftsman Club today. I think everyone will want one - maybe one for you and one for your wife...
  7. Steve Kniffen

Stuart Batty Demo - Fort Worth

Stuart Batty is conducting a series of classes 10-15 April in Fort Worth, TX. The classes are full, but he will also be doing an all day demo on April 16 for the Woodturners of North Texas. This demo is free to club members, but only $10 for non-members. It will be held at Handley-Meadowbrook...
  8. Steve Kniffen

Sweet gum cracks

A friend from a local woodworking club brought me a piece of sweet gum out of his yard. It's 4-5" thick and 12-14" in diameter. He didn't know for sure how long it had been cut, but it was plenty dry. He wanted to know if there was anything I could do with it. I looked at it and there are...
  9. Steve Kniffen

Tetra Pens

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about Tetra Pens that have become my new favorite pen. They're sold by Berea, Beartooth, and Arizona Silhouettes and possibly others. They have a new woven stylus that's more accurate than the rubber ones. They are turned on an 8.2mm tube and use a...