Search results

1. T

New Marking Gage

I have been considering getting a new marking gage for a while. I really like the one I have . I got it off from a retiring Pattern Maker back in the 80s. The bar is hex so when it gets dull I just rotate it. The long bar comes in handy but it is also sometimes cumbersome so I have been looking...
  2. T

A friend request

I have a request to someone to be friends and I don't know what that is. Computers are kind of a mystery to me.
  3. T

New work bench in use

I posted pictures of my finally finished bench a couple of weeks ago, and I though it would be nice to post some pictures of it in use. Having the bottom of the tool tray slide out has some advantages.
  4. T

Finally finished my new bench

A lot of the bench was inspired by a picture of a Shaker bench from Scott Landis's book The Workbench Book. The bench pictured is in a museum in Hancock. Massachusetts. I actually spent a lot of time trying to match the color and still make that part of the bench look old at the same time. I...
  5. T

Where it ended up so far

I posted, Building Grandsons Christmas Present, earlier on this forum. I did however manage to show my grand son, who is 12, how to assemble his workbench when we had our family Christmas a couple of weeks ago. I didn't put it all together but I thought he had the idea. I did get it to my...
  6. T

RE: repurposeing

RE: repurposeing There have been, and I am sure there will be again, times when I wished I had a chisel plane. As far as I know my only choices for one was Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen. And those are over $100. Now I had cut the front of from a regular angle Dunlap block plane before and it works...
  7. T

More pictures ofmy as yet unfinished bench

A lot of times I do not go back and revisit a post once I have looked at it unless there are a lot of views so I thought I would do a new post. Here are some pictures of more uses of the bench. The first is clamping a long board with a shoulder vise. Because it is a split top the next two...
  8. T

Building Grandsons Christmas Present

I took a little time off from building my new bench to get my grandsons Christmas present built. I do not have to far to go. I need to fasten the top on and put some holes in it. I also can't forget the bottom shelf. I have two short bench dogs, one I used in my tail vise, the other works...
  9. T

Not another Roubo bench

I posted a while back in the design section about laying out for my new bench, I have been busy building so I haven't posted much. I did post in the jigs and fixture section on a couple things I had to build just to build the bench. My new bench is 34 1/2 inches high, just under 8 foot long. I...
  10. T

support at the table saw.

I also made an infeed table support for my table saw. The top of my new bench is almost 8 foot long . I made a plywood sled to hold the long pieces of hickory for so I could get a straight line rip I have a roller stand but if I position out far enough to support every thing at the beginning I...
  11. T

working heavy material on a Jointer

A while ago I posted in the design section about working up my design about my new work bench. Since then I have been building and haven't taken time to write about the actual building process. One of the problems I have encountered in my 45 years of woodworking as a hobby is using the fence...
  12. T

laying out bench top

My first bench had bench dogs and a record type vise ( home made) that didn't have a quick release on it. And depending on the length of the piece being clamped, in many cases, the vise was either all the way open or nearly closed and because the dogs were equally spaced there were many time I...
  13. T

building a new workbench part one

I sold my work bench so I have to build a new one. This will be my fourth and hopefully the last bench I build for myself Okay, so where does one start when making their, first or last, bench? Probably the most often asked question I see asked on wood working forums, is how high do I make...
  14. T

Dove tail chisel

I have wanted a set of dove tailed chisels for a long time and I love the look of the Lie-Nielsen one. But the cost kind of out weighted the amount of times I would need one. On a comment I made a long time ago One person said why don't you just take an old chisel and grind it. My return comment...
  15. T

I finally finished most of it.

I saw a cabinet under the floor standing drill press and I though it was a good idea so I started one may be 4 years ago. I had the case finished for at least that long. I bough another metal lathe metal and the only place it would go is to move the drill press. And in doing so I moved it...
  16. T

Metal Lathe

I have wanted one of these for a long, long, time. It must have set for years without anything ever being touched. I just started scrapping crud off from the ways with a paint scraper. Anyway it is mine and it has a quick change gear box and for $100 US I am a very happy camper. It took two of...
  17. T

partial shop tour

My shop is in a separate building. It has a total of about 1900 sq. feet. Lighting is florescent with daylight bulbs. It has wooden floors with tile on top. It has 200 amp service and no heat or air conditioning other than a couple of space heaters and a couple of fans, so it is only useable...
  18. T

latest project

Here are a couple of pictures of the mantle that I started just before Christmas. My wife only had to ask me once to do it. Well maybe once or twice a year for the last 18 years. The bottom and sides are rough sawn red oak. The top is also red oak. The depth of the mantle is about 11 inches ...
  19. T

Bailey planes

If a person pays attention to the cutting pressure of a plane it is down and back against the blade. So on a Bailey, if a person just snugs the screws that hold the frog on the frog can still be moved. The downwart cutting force keeps the frog from lifting and the frog adjusting screw takes the...
  20. T

My new old bandsaw

I finally picked up an old Delta - Milwaukee band saw at an auction the other day. I have been looking and hoping for one for a while. It is cold in my shop so it just sets there. So far I have bought new tires and a carter bladesabilizer to put on it in the spring. I plan on only running a 1/8...