Search results

1. Alex Reid

Article: Making a Wooden Bench dog

You can view the page at http://familywoodworking.org/forums/content.php?127-Making-a-Wooden-Bench-dog
  2. Alex Reid

Switch Wiring

My switch on my TS has finally bit the dust. I have a replacement ready but I want to confirm the wiring on it as I am so prone to making the kind of mistakes where I'm left scratching my head after blowing the motor or something like that. Below are some photos. Obviously if I use it for...
  3. Alex Reid

Incra Router Table

I probably have the biggest roun-to-it than anyone here. This project - not quite complete but almost there - took me quite a while to get to. The plate and fence set up has been sitting in a box under my bench for close to three years. But for what it is, it seems to be worth the wait. I...
  4. Alex Reid

Spinning Tops and Plate Set

Just finished this set of tops and a plate to spin them on. The plate is 42cm diameter done in bubinga. The tops are maple, ebony and bubinga. It was a fun little project and even more fun to play with. I did the plate with a concave surface so the tops gravitate to the center. That way we can...
  5. Alex Reid

Quick Question About Caulking

I am re-doing the caulking in my bathroom where the tub and shower is. In some places is was pulling away from the wall and moldy. I have pulled all that out cleaned it up and re-done it. In other places the caulking is not so bad but will have to be re-done sometime in the next while. My...
  6. Alex Reid

TS Arbor Nut

My table saw arbor nut just plain wore out on me. I noticed the other day when I gave it the last torque it skipped a little. After doing that a couple of times it gave up the ghost and couldn't hang on any more. So while my TS is out of order I have a nut on order. But it kind of piqued my...
  7. Alex Reid

Firewood Carrier

Finally after seven years of carrying wood up two flights of stairs in my arms. Sometimes it takes me a while to get to it.:rolleyes:
  8. Alex Reid

Chainsaw Recommendations?

Looking to get a new chain saw. Currently I'm using a 14inch Ryobi that is getting old and is inadequate for my needs. Any recommendations for a 16 or 20 inch?
  9. Alex Reid

Acoustic Guitar Build

As I mentioned in this thread I will start an acoustic guitar build. I am already about 1 month into it and already have the top plate completed. But I am going to start here from the beginning. I wanted to get a blog setup on my site before I start but was unable to get it going this week...
  10. Alex Reid

Been a while/Kitchen Prep Table

Hi folks it's been a while since I last posted or even logged in for that matter. Been busy with other projects and such. It good to see all the familiar faces and names. Anyway I'm feeling like I want to get back into it and to start if off here is a picture of my last completed work done in...
  11. Alex Reid

Lifehacks

I just read a great thread on another forum called Lifebacks: post you tips for everyday living. My favourite tip was measure your hand from the tip of your longest finger to the base of your palm and remember that length. Also measure one joint of the same finger. You can now use your hand or...
  12. Alex Reid

Strongest Joint

I was thinking recently about joint stregth and took a look at FWW to see what they had to say. I found the following test and poll. Here are the results from a Fine Woodworking test on joint strength using a hydraulic press. The press stress tested for racking on a 90 degree joint constructed...
  13. Alex Reid

Serving Tray

My wife asked me to make a small gift for a friend ah, ah, ah a few months back. Don't worry I said I'll get there. Not one to forget but usually it takes me a while, I finally did it today. So the idea for this tray came one day when I was at one of those fashion furniture stores in Tokyo. I...
  14. Alex Reid

Kitchen Cabs Complete

I have completed stage 1 of my kitchen reno. Not much of a renovation really just building and installing what the builders never did. These cabinets were made with 3/4 lumber core ply, painted inside to match the wall paint and veneered with 3mm ash on the outside. The face frames have a bead...
  15. Alex Reid

Sam Maloof Passed Away

I was just watching a video of this great man the other day thinking how wonderful it is that he is still woodworking. His legacy will inspire many. http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_webmaloof.297bb99.html Renowned woodworker Sam Maloof dies 02:44 PM PDT on Friday...
  16. Alex Reid

Perilla Oil

I have just bought some Perilla oil. My supplier of BLO and Tung oil was offering it so I thought I'd give it a try. Wikipedia states that it is used along with synthetic resins in the production of varnishes and has a faster drying time then linseed oil. Just wondering if anyone here has used...
  17. Alex Reid

A small coup d'état

I had a small coup in my house yesterday. For several weeks now the drain has been running very slow in our bathroom. I finally told my wife not to wash her oil paints there as that was the reason why it was clogging up. (As a side note I didn't tell her in the beginning though I saw the...
  18. Alex Reid

Table Saw Info Request

This saw is up on the auction site here is Japan. There is no info about the maker but if you can see the voltage is 220v which means it is likely an imported saw. Anyone have any info on this based on the pics? http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k113866881
  19. Alex Reid

Butterfly Inlays - How to

(Originally From This Post) On my recently completed project you may notice there are two butterfly inlays near the rear of the top. So I thought I would write up my method for doing them. I usually cut them on a bandsaw. But there are probably simpler ways like a router and jig, which I will...
  20. Alex Reid

Butterfly Inlays - How to

On my recently completed project you may notice there are two butterfly inlays near the rear of the top. So I thought I would write up my method for doing them. I usually cut them on a bandsaw. But there are probably simpler ways like a router and jig, which I will probably get around to making...