Search results

1. M

Screws or Nails

I'm getting started on my deck. Finally! :thumb: One question I've been kicking around is to use mostly screws for my framing or nails. My county allows for both. What do you guys prefer? The decking will be all screws. I have found myself leaning more towards screws since they tend to be...
  2. M

Deck piers

I'm working on my deck rebuild. The last one had lots of issues with rotting etc. In my plans, I have to have a set of foundation piers that are less than 5 feet from the house foundation. Unfortunately, my county code requires that I dig the piers to be at the elevation of the house...
  3. M

Recommendation for blade sharpening service

I need a recommendation for a good saw blade sharpening service. I'm in Virginia so anything on the east coast would be preferred to save on shipping and time.
  4. M

Alignment Question

Ok so since I have not provided pictures of my new saw this never happened! :D I was tinkering with my General 650 this weekend. Calibrated the 45 degree and 90 degree settings (90 was dead on and the 45 needed 1 degree more), adjusted the miter gauge etc. I checked for alignment and found...
  5. M

General 650 Start Up ????

Ok this is a stealth gloat. But since I don't have pictures it may not have happened! :D I just finished moving my 650 into my basement shop. Pretty easy overall, but I'll wait until I post the picts to tell you about that. The question I have for the General owners is my saw thumps a little...
  6. M

Mower issues

Hey guys, I went out to cut the grass for the first time this year. I had my riding mower wrapped up because last year a bunch of mice got in and built a very nice nest. Well it cost be a couple of hundred to replace the entire wiring system and get a tune up. So this year I decided to wrap...
  7. M

Delta 36-431 Contractor Saw - w/Pics

I'm selling my 2002 Delta 36-431 contractor saw. It is in perfect condition. This was one of the last USA made contractor saws. Some of the features: - 30" Biesemeyer fence - 1 1/2 HP Marathon motor - 2 cast iron wings - Delta extension table - Delta mobile base - PALS system - Delta combo...
  8. M

Moving a cabinet saw

I'm in the process of looking for a used or new cabinet saw. One of the issues I have is my shop is in the basement and the only access is through the house and down a flight of steps. With my 17" bandsaw, moving in was a challenge using an appliance dolly. I did not pull the motor on it...
  9. M

Buying from Ex Factory

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has bought from Ex Factory. I know it is sold "as is". I'm curious as to their pricing and willingness to negotiate as well as customer service. I'm looking at buying a cabinet saw in the next several months. It seems they have a decent selection.
  10. M

Contractor Saw Tune Up

So I got my PALS alignment kit and installed it tonight. (Note to self, don't follow directions!) The instructions did not say to tighten up the first post installed so when I went to install the second post the trunnion was way off! :huh: That's not why I posted.... :rofl: I'm going to use...
  11. M

Table Saw Alignment

I'm in between projects so I thought I work on getting things in order in the shop. One thing that I have put off for awhile is addressing my table saw alignment. When I do a crosscut my cut is not square. To address this I've measured the left miter track with the blade. It is off by about...
  12. M

HVAC Question

OK this will probably be a dumb question, but here goes...... I have a 2 zone HVAC system. One of the outside heat pump units runs pretty cold. So cold that after today's rain, the top has frozen chunks of ice around the fan shroud. The second unit that sits right next to it and is also a...
  13. M

Clipped or Full Head Nails

This may need to be in the tools section but here it goes... I'm getting ready to buy a framing nailer. Are there any code requirements for full vs. clipped head nails in your areas? I can't get a real live inspector on the phone for my county and thought I'd ask the group. I thought I had...
  14. M

My Workbench 1 Year Later!

Well it's been about a year since I started this!:dunno: Work was VERY busy for me this year so shop time up until a few weeks ago was bascially non-existent. I thought I'd share with everyone where I am. All that is left to do is sand the aprons and put a BLO/mineral spirits finish on the...
  15. M

My circular saw is dying

My 10 year old Black and Decker circular saw is dying. I've been doing a deck tear down and I think I've reached its useful life :(. Now when I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood it bogs down. So I'm looking to replace it. Any recommendations on a good saw that will last? I was looking at the...
  16. M

Plumbing Question

I have a 3 year old WH that has a white crust on the hot side at the male/female coupling between the copper pipe and the brass fitting going into the WH. When the plumbers installed the WH they specifically said that they were using a brass fitting so that there would not be a metalergic...
  17. M

Shed Foundation

I'm starting to design my long overdue shed. It's going to be 8'x12'. I'll be using some recycled 2x8's from our deck that I am removing. It's being replaced with a stone patio. So for the shed foundation, since I'm using 2x8's I was thinking that I could run them across the 8' span so they...
  18. M

My holdfast won't hold

I just drilled the front row dog holes for my bench. I went to test them and put a Gramercy holdfast in and gave it a really good whack with my mallet and the piece of wood that was being held slipped pretty easily. All holes are drilled with a 3/4" spiral upcut and are .75" based on my...
  19. M

Dog Hole Spacing

I'm ready to drill my dog holes in my new bench. Just curious what is the rule of thumb (if there is one) for how far in from the edge the line of dog holes should be for the ones that run the length of the bench. I was planing on 2 sets, one in the front and one in the back. I was planning...
  20. M

Insulating a cantalevered bump out

Ok you know how the small projects turn into the project from he!!.... I have a 2' by 8' cantalevered bump out in my breakfast area. The underside has rotted out. The only wat to get to it was to tear down the deck, which was due for demolition anyway. :D The deck is/was only 2' off the...