Search results

1. J

MacBook and ViewSonic projector

So you live in the boonies of NV, huh? Do you get mail service? :) How about giving mail order a try? VGA is a standard. It's crummy, but it is a standard. To get the right adapter you need to know what model of MacBook you have ('Apple menu/About this Mac...' and click on 'More Info...'...
  2. J

Opinions needed - refacing brick fireplace

Thanks for everyone's input. We ended up hiring a tile guy to do the hearth and 4 ft. up the fireplace. We went with metal lath and mud for the base and to build it out some. I talked to the owner of the local fireplace store about the missing lintel. He said don't worry about it. After the...
  3. J

Oil based stain and water based poly?

So the LOML wants to use a stain she found (oil based). I like to use water based finishes, especially poly. Will these two play well together?
  4. J

Opinions needed - refacing brick fireplace

We have a painted brick fireplace that we would like to reface with stone tiles (12x24). The first bid we got is going to use a primer (Tec Multipurpose Primer http://www.tecspecialty.com/content/products.aspx?product_id=149 ) to prep the brick. Next the tiles will be thinset to the brick. I...
  5. J

A SketchUp Warm-Up Exercise

Little late to the party. Here's my version. Took 18 minutes! Reminds me of the final exams I gave in PageMaker and InDesign. Some students had no problems, some sweating bullets. I'm still in the latter group w/ SU! :)
  6. J

Aquarium stand design

Mike, Nice stands. I'm planning on a solid wood face frame. Would the same 'anti racking' happen by rabbiting the back of the FF instead of the side? How about a spline to attach FF to side? I'm trying to make the stand as plain as possible. No trim, no detail. The tank will be the feature. The...
  7. J

Aquarium stand design

I've started the SketchUp design to build a stand for a new aquarium. The aquarium will be about 48x24x24 inches. This will be about 120 gallons. Final weight will be aprox. 1000 lbs. Please take a look at the (hopefully) attached sketch. Do you see any structural problems? The stand will be...
  8. J

Removing granite back splash!

We have a full granite back splash (see pic, I hope!). SWMBO wants it GONE! We'd like to save the granite and take it out without breaking. :rofl: It will be replaced with tile so I don't care if the sheetrock needs replacing. The largest piece is 17" x 64". Has anyone done this? All advise...
  9. J

Hinge help

I'm ready to order hinges for my kitchen cabinets and have some questions. These are for face frame cabinets, 1/2in. overlay. I'm looking at the Blum Compact 33 (110 degree) and Compact 38 (105 degree) hinges. Is there an advantage to one over the other? Best price I've seen so far is...
  10. J

Finding glue before stain!

:wave: From a long time lurker, infrequent poster… I've glued up my kitchen doors and drawer fronts and need to check for glue spots. I've used mineral spirits before to do this when I’ve used oil based stains and finishes. This time I’m using Transtint dye in DNA and finishing with Target’s...