Search results

1. M

What to charge for a cutting board

This topic comes up regularly. Dean O. Cliver, Ph.D. from the University of California (Davis), is a published expert in food safety and foodborne disease. I took the opportunity a while back to contact Dr. Cliver and query him about his findings as there seemed to be a number of...
  2. M

Redneck Workshop

Nothing wrong with that Tom! I have a sun room on my "shop" which is just a way over stuffed 1 car garage. Everything is on wheels as the driveway is the work area for anything of size. My buddy Dan, who's from Alabama BTW, dubbed it the "Alabama Sun room":rofl:. Here's a pic milling up...
  3. M

Shop built bowl lathe

Bart, there's more to it than just grabbing some bearings and metal rod. Bearings need tight tolerances to run true. A press fit for bearings are generally between .0003 and .0005. You're not going to find those tolerances at the metal rack of your local borg. You might get away with some pillow...
  4. M

Building a crib

Built one from black walnut & birdseye maple which was a big hit.
  5. M

Band Saw Dust Collection?

I did something along the lines of Jim's idea too. It's attached with rare earth magnets and gets about 98% of the dust. I don't have any finished pix, but you should get the idea. I think collecting the dust as it comes through the table and before it gets to the wheels is a better idea than...
  6. M

Overdone outfeed? Advice needed

Here's my solution - With the space constraints I have, everything has be Mobile so I can get it out into the driveway for those big cuts. That creates problems in itself, especially when working with sheet goods. The table, when up, is the width of the saw & added router wing (about 5' wide)...
  7. M

D handle captive hollowing rigs?

I'm planning to build a D handle captive hollowing rig and I need a bit of help. I'm going to use 3/4" round stock because I've got about 10' of it on hand. I'm planning on making the handle with a coupling on the end to attach various length boring bars to the business end. I think that's the...
  8. M

Butcher Block - Salad Oil as finish/sealant

For what it's worth... One of the premeir experts on the subject is Dr. Cliver. I took the opportunity to contact Dr. Cliver a while back and query him about his findings as there seemed to be a number of inconsistencies or "half quotes" on various web sites. Dr. Cliver was very...
  9. M

Starting big

You can definitely make your own headstock if you have access to metalworking machines. If you don't, then a pre made headstock will put you well on your way to success. The headstock is the most important part of the lathe, everything else is just part of the supporting cast so you need to do...
  10. M

Starting big

Your headstock is from a Delta 1460 heavy duty lathe, probably about a 1950 vintage or so. It will work fine for your project, it's actually the same one the guy used to build the one in the FWW article. Well, except for the bright yellow paint job:D The 1460 headstock uses a spindle that is...
  11. M

Silly Poll: how organized are you?

Yea, that's my story too and I'm sticking to it:D I like to refer to it as semi organized chaos. The semi cuz I usually know were things are, the chaos cuz sometimes I can't :o Reminds me of a graphic I have hanging in my office;) Mike
  12. M

FS - Powermatic model 30 sander

Powermatic Model 30 6" X 48" Belt 12" Disk $475.00 Completely disassembled and restored with a new single-phase 1hp, 110v motor. The platen has been flattened and fitted with graphite canvas and all wiring has been completely replaced. I would prefer local pick up, though I will consider...
  13. M

Sand Flea

The sand flea is based on the idea of running your piece of wood over the exposed drum which sticks above the table much like a jointer. With a drum sander on the other hand, the work is run between a a table and the drum like a planer. I've seen the sand flea and tied it once, though not as...
  14. M

Sand Flea

Save some more and build it outright with parts from your local bearing house. 1" dia pillow block bearings run about $16 ea, a 36" length of 1" dia steel rod will be about $20 from the local borg. The drum can be made from particle board rings epoxied to the shaft. Depending on your scrap...
  15. M

Is it just me???

Is it just me or has there been a plethora of threads in the various WW forums lately with unrealistic expectations from tools? I'm talking about the "my (you name it) is out .0001 of an inch" or "I bought a (you name it) and it's out of true .0001 of an inch". I'm not sure how feeler gages...
  16. M

Free bed extension for Jet mini

Two bed extensions for a Jet mini free to good homes. There's nothing wrong with them, there’re just taking up space in the garage. With a full size lathe the extensions don't serve any purpose anymore. I really hate the thought of throwing them in the land fill, but I'm tired of moving them...
  17. M

Need help hacking my lathe!

Bill, It's a very doable project, just jump in and go for it, you'll be happy you did when it's done. I repowered my 1950 Delta model 1460 lathe with a 2hp 3ph and VFD and my 1951 Walker Turner 900 DP with a 3/4 hp 3ph, the only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner! Don't get too wrapped...
  18. M

Roll around lathe

Jay, I've got the same problem, a 1 car garage and way too many machines. My Delta 1460 lathe is on a mobile base as I need to roll it outside to turn. The best bases I've found are the 1200lb models at Northern tools for $42.99...
  19. M

Rockwell Lathe

Chuck, The lathe is a Delta model 46-111 14/11" Gap Bed Lathe, 1972 vintage. 14" in the gap, 11" over the main bed. The stand is not original. the old ones, late 50's to late 60's had the cast iron legs. At some point, I don't know exactly when, like everything, they went to a sheet metal...
  20. M

What's up with my shellac?

This is the first time I've used shellac flakes so I'll profess ignorance here. I bought some garnet shellac flakes and mixed them to a 2lb cut. After 4 days of soaking and regular shaking this is what I have after it settles for about 12 hours. Is this normal? or is something strange going...