Search results

1. Charles Lent

Pantry Organizers

"Because I have one" and if I was building these, I think I would use my "Incra I-Box Jig" on my Unisaw to make these. The joints take a bit longer to cut, but would be several orders of magnitude stronger. But then I tend to like box joints, especially when using thin materials. The jig makes...
  2. Charles Lent

Replacing drawer bottoms

I would NOT use MDF for a drawer bottom. Quality plywood would be my only choice for this. Moisture ands humidity do bad things to MDF. Quality plywood to fit the existing slots would likely last another Century, if the rest of the piece does. Charley
  3. Charles Lent

Auto trickle charger

Just be aware that some cars today have cigarette lighter sockets that turn on only when the engine is running. My Jeep Grand Cherokee has two cigarette lighter sockets in the lower center console. One stays on, but the other turns on only when the ignition is on and the engine is running. I...
  4. Charles Lent

I hate meeses to pieces....

My sister and brother-in-law had a cat that had to have it's front paws de-clawed early in it's life because it was climbing the expensive drapes and couldn't be stopped. It was young enough when de-clawed that it figured out how to adapt to not having them. It still had hind toenails and one...
  5. Charles Lent

I hate meeses to pieces....

Female cats have been the best mousers for us, but our last cat died 5 years ago. Male cats usually can't be bothered with mouse chasing. The females are the best hunters. Without a cat, I have been trapping the mice and have been using Victor traps. The old style with the metal trigger work...
  6. Charles Lent

BB-2000

If humanity has a need for something, somebody will come up with a fix for it. The greater the need, the more competition and alternatives that will become available. Charley
  7. Charles Lent

Steam box.

That should do, but I just bought a 10' length of 6" PVC and a couple of end plugs. Then added a handle to one of the end plugs and drilled the needed holes. I never did much steaming, so after keeping it 10+ years and it getting in the way one too many times I trashed it. I figured out that the...
  8. Charles Lent

BB-2000

"I'm thnking we may have a need for something like that in the future. Is it working as advertised and would you be willing to share the brand?" Ted, The seat lift that my son chose was made by Liftseat. He bought the heavy duty model because he is a big guy at 300 lbs. It's quite big and...
  9. Charles Lent

My Wife is Heartbroken

Two houses and about 60 years ago we lived in a house that had a small tree die just outside the kitchen window where we had a bird feeder. So, when I cut the tree down, I left the stump of this 4" diameter tree standing at about window level. Then I attached a small platform to the top of the...
  10. Charles Lent

BB-2000

We installed new toilet and seat made by Toto when we replaced one bathroom with a handicap version about 5 years ago. The new seat has a bidet and heated water tank built into it as well as the heated seat. I got funny looks when I told the electrician that I wanted a power outlet behind the...
  11. Charles Lent

The Farm Shop

Car wax is NOT what you should be using. Read the contents of every wax before using it. The silicone in car wax will cause all kinds of problems when it gets on your wood projects. Finishes and glue will not bond to the wood wherever there is any silicone on the wood. Fisheyes in the finish...
  12. Charles Lent

The Farm Shop

I just keep my table saw and all other cast iron waxed. Charley
  13. Charles Lent

Router speed controls.

Don't expect much from them. They don't want you modifying their tools, but will sell you a whole new circuit board. I had to reverse engineer a DeWalt 788 scroll saw because it had fallen over in our woodworking club's outreach trailer and the speed control shaft had become bent. It was...
  14. Charles Lent

Router speed controls.

It's never a good idea to have two speed controllers connected together, but maybe you could disconnect the speed control potentiometer and extend the wiring out to a new speed control potentiometer of the same resistance and type. Removing the top cover should let you see the controller. The...
  15. Charles Lent

Tergiversation

I stopped reading newspapers back when I was living in NY State and active in a fire company. We were about 18 miles from the city where the newspaper was printed, so that may have explained it. Whenever we had something happen really newsworthy in our township, the story about what had...
  16. Charles Lent

Fire extinguisher size and type for the wood shop

Heating baking soda causes it to give off carbon dioxide. It's quite effective for putting out oil and grease fires. Well done, but in humid areas it would be best to keep the box of it in a zip lock bag to keep it from caking up. It works best as a powder for fire fighting. Charley
  17. Charles Lent

"I wonder how you know this...." We firefighters have tinted eye protection attached to our helmets, at least in the fire companies that I have belonged to. Not the greatest, but it helps. It's a wrap around shield that tapers at the ends and is connected to the helmet brim above the ears. They...
  18. Charles Lent

It got me

Yes, sleeping in a recliner helps. It helped me. I lived in it for almost 2 weeks. Charley
  19. Charles Lent

Hockey Wrap for Clamp Handles

I guess that I must have come from a poor family of electrical workers. They saved the short ends of what was called "Friction Tape". Left over partial rolls from jobs, and brought these short partial rolls home for uses like Hockey Stick and clamp handles. When freshly wrapped, the handles were...
  20. Charles Lent

When a ABC or BC dry powder fire extinguisher is serviced, the valve is rebuilt with new seals, remaining powder is removed, and the extinguisher tank is hydro tested and then dried completely. It's then filled with fresh powder and nitrogen, followed with a leak test. If it passes, it gets...