Search results

1. Barry Stratton

Wiring question!

Okay folks, I need help. "We" are adding a home office to existing space to free up a bedroom downstairs in case the girl we are adopting EVER comes home from Haiti. I'm adding a 6'x10' closet in the garage for file cabinets and storage. I need to add a switch, light and plug in. I can jump off...
  2. Barry Stratton

SOMETHING FOR ALL MEMBERS and GUESTS

So......................how do you react when you post a picture of your woodworking, and are asked to remove it because someone complained that it was against the COC?
  3. Barry Stratton

For the birds....

...a lyrebird to be exact. This video was shared by a classmate in one of the online classes I am taking. My favorite sound is the chainsaw, although the motor driven camera is pretty cool too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y
  4. Barry Stratton

2011 Toy Swap

And the stuff you mailed to me is just AWESOME as well!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: Here is what was waiting for me today. They are wonderful Ken, perfect actually. They will be heavily played with as soon as the girls we are adopting from Haiti come "home" as they LOVE wooden puzzles. So...
  5. Barry Stratton

Here you go Jim O'Dell!

A few pictures for you from my recent trip to Haiti! Shanty towns abound. Market in Port Au Prince A secluded shelter. Goat grazing in the rubble.
  6. Barry Stratton

Turning Pens and Pencils

...by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham. This is a great book if you are interested in turning writing instruments! It is in great shape with no dings, rips, tears, or dirt. First $9 gets it via media mail. If you are from Canada, we'll have to work something out postage wise but I'm sure...
  7. Barry Stratton

Just back from Haiti

I just returned from an incredible trip exploring some potential future mission trips AND to meet the little girl we are adopting. I thought I would share a few pictures here as it really and truly does look just like the media portrays it. A trip like this really puts American...
  8. Barry Stratton

My apologies to Mark Cothren...

.....whom I shamelessly stole this idea from! I had this ugly walnut hunk laying around from last year's free tree's, about 11" x 16", couple coats of Danish oil.............. ...and the bottom. Any and alll comments, cracks, slams accepted. Sorry for the pics, my photo tent is loaned...
  9. Barry Stratton

Box Elder bowl

Here's a little bowl outa box elder from the neighbor's yard (they had a tree blow down). Measures 7 1/2 x 7 and is 2" tall. I turned from start to finish in one session and it is a-moving! Walls are ~3/8"....... AO finish. Comments and critiques welcome.
  10. Barry Stratton

Buckthorn bowl

This little guy is Buckthorn.....a noxious invasive bush/small tree that I have a TON of on my property. They are a small tree, but WOW, I like this wood. It cracks easily and my pics don't do it justice...but it is 3-D awesome wood. Measures 6 1/2 wide x 2 1/4 tall. Walnut oil finish as it...
  11. Barry Stratton

Walnut NE.....

Still working on the walnut I scored last November :thumb: This one is 10 1/4" x 7 1/2" and is 4 1/2" tall at the tips. Walls are just under shy of 3/8". AO finish, not buffed yet.
  12. Barry Stratton

Future dinners.....

Thought I'd share some pictures of our JM Hatchery rangers, (www.jmhatchery.com) born 6/3/09. We received 36 and have 35 in the pen. One dislocated a hip at 3 weeks and became a snack! Very healthy and active birds, if not the brightest;) Looking forward to taking them in at 12 weeks...
  13. Barry Stratton

2 bland birch bowls....

.......finally finishing up some of those crotch pieces I roughed out last winter. Both finished with BLO, no buff. I have an "art festival" in a couple weeks and want a variety of finishes...... First piece is my Jeff Bower chunky look....about 8" wide.:D:wave: This wingy dingy is...
  14. Barry Stratton

Rectangle bowl......

A "friend", and I use that term loosely:p, pointed me to Mark Placek's website filled with amazing square and rectangle bowls. How hard can it be I thought, just some scraps, glue, and clamps. Well, it's also patience and precision...both of which I lack....but here is my first attempt...
  15. Barry Stratton

"Gift" Bowl and 3 others....

Our area got hit with some impressive winds last summer when a "twister" almost touched down...... I helped some folks from church clean up their yard and got about 1 1/2 cords of firewood for my trouble. This bowl is turned from a piece of elm that the wife's father planted back in 1915 or...
  16. Barry Stratton

"Egg" bowl

My newest "finished" bowl............. This was a squaring cut "slab" from the bandsaw mill when I took some walnut to get cut up. I've got one more rough out like it waiting to be finish turned. :thumb: Bowl measures 9" x 8", stand 3" at tallest, 1 1/2 at shortest. Finish is AO and buffed...
  17. Barry Stratton

It was a "rough" day!!

Got to the shop and fired up the chainsaw at 8:00 a.m. Quit at 1:00 p.m. No one's interested in the truck load of walnut I posted in Classifieds so I figured I'd better get to turning it:wave: Roughed out 3 walnut bowls, 3 walnut NE's, 1 cherry NE (burnt rim), 1 dunno wood bowl, and 1 locust...
  18. Barry Stratton

Walnut anyone??? (don't look Vaughn)

I scored a few walnut trees awhile back and had some cut into slabs. I'm just now getting around to offering it up to folks here. Once I cut them into blanks and anchorseal the ends, they'll fit in Flat Rate boxes (both $9.80 sizes). They are currently inside my unheated "barn" and frozen...
  19. Barry Stratton

my chickens lay more than eggs..............

....Tiger Woods is thinking of ordering a dozen........:eek: Our 13 hens lay 8-10 eggs a day. Not bad given the cool temperatures. Our 1 rooster smiles a LOT:D:thumb::rofl:
  20. Barry Stratton

4 saved from the woodstove....

A tornado ripped this tree down a couple years ago. I got a piece of the tree while hauling firewood to my house from the farm. Measaures 9 1/4 x 2 1/4 with a walnut oil finish. I love turning ash! Rescued from a pile destined for the firepit. Measures 12 1/2 x 4 1/4, finished with veggie...