Search results

1. S

Cooper's Plane and other stuff

this plane is soilid cast iron, not a transitional i spent some time on the blade, tool works nicely this brass plate is riveted on can we not embed larger pictures directly in the post?
  2. S

Cooper's Plane and other stuff

a relative had this coopering stuff sent over from england the plane is 110 lbs, 5 1/2 feet long!
  3. S

1940's Beaver Jointer

and then while the paint dries on the small stuff, we'll build a stand using a set of the beaver castiron legs
  4. S

1940's Beaver Jointer

and it continues:
  5. S

1940's Beaver Jointer

a photo essay on rebuilding a 1940's beaver 3800 jointer designed and built by the callander foundry, guelph ontario, production ran until the mid fifties when rockwell, who bought the candian operation in 1953, replaced it with the 37-220 aka beaver 4800 the 3800 had some unique features...
  6. S

Dining Chair Build

So the adventure begins! picked up a pile of 8/4 and 5/4 hard maple and some 4/4 walnut(for the slats) i believe it was 32 bdft of 8/4 and 20 of 5/4 for the maple plus 6 bdft of the walnut i rough cut all the backlegs on the big bandsaw in such a way that i could get some front legs in between...
  7. S

My Shopful of Old Iron

this is my 1950's beaver 3700 drill press its got an old delta 1hp, power switch is the rod with the brass knob, reversing switch is on the right side, its great for drum sanding! work lamp is an old delta part with modern flexneck interesting design, all four bearings are tapered roller...
  8. S

My Shopful of Old Iron

next is my Delta Homecraft shaper, not sure of its age, but late 50's is my guess i use it for template shaping mostly, it has a 3 inch byrd shelix cutter on it with a guide bearing. i also use it for lock mitres using a big freud 3 wing cutter and also for raised panel cutting i do have an...
  9. S

Dining Chair Build

so the prototype is complete, we're trying to decide on maple or walnut slats, i have 4 of each as a trial the left front leg is 3/16 off the table surface, an easy fix also here is the form for making the slats, they are 4 layers of 1/8 material
  10. S

Dining Chair Build

we decided it was time for some nice dining chairs to match the other dining room furniture made by my father. the 30 yr old store bought stuff just doesnt go!! besides ive reglued every one of the old chairs several times! we chose this design from popular woodworking...
  11. S

My Shopful of Old Iron

The Wood Lathe i posted pics of this in the turning forum, but here it is again for those who dont visit there its a 1940 Henry Power Tools, aka craftmaster. made in london ontario. henry supplied bench vises to the allied forces during ww11, but diversified into small power tools after...
  12. S

Angled Mortise and Tenon, Chairmakers Saw and Tenon Clamp

thanks for that info bob, i did come across that error when drawing out my rear leg pattern, my 48 inch piece of plywood was too short!! i will post a build thread when i actually get started in a couple of weeks, it will be my first "real" chair project im still working on perfecting the...
  13. S

Angled Mortise and Tenon, Chairmakers Saw and Tenon Clamp

faced with the prospect of making 6 dining chairs with angled M/T joinery, i came up with this jig and saw via a google search they are called a chairmakers saw and a tenoning clamp the clamp is pretty simple, 3/4 plywood, glued and screwed, then a clamping jaw with a bolt, nuts and washers...
  14. S

My Shopful of Old Iron

next are the bandsaws, ive a few and more than one of some of them these are the ones i have right now: the Crescent 20 inch, covered well in another thread, easily my oldest tool at 101 yrs old and a pre war beaver 12 inch. this is actually a 1935 walker turner bn100, beaver imported...
  15. S

Recycled Cedar into a Small Outdoor Table

and the finished table. pretty fussy getting all those pie shaped pieces evenly spaced made the legs by laminating 6 pieces of cedar over a form
  16. S

Acouple of new toys for the shop

Simple Simon bandsaw, all aluminum, complete and in good shape i'll tear it down, new bearings, tyres etc etc and this really nice old motor. i just redid it, it wouldnt start reliably and had a bad rumble when it did complete tear down, removed what seemed like 3 lbs of sawdust and grease...
  17. S

My Shopful of Old Iron

the 6 inch beaver was coplaner as were the other 3 or 4 i rebuilt the 4 inch rockwell beaver was terribly out, i suspect quality control issues at the old beaver factory after rockwell bought it yes i fixed it by shiiming the outfeed table with brass shimstock. did that 5 years ago and its...
  18. S

My Shopful of Old Iron

this is my other jointer, a beaver 2800. this is actually the same as a rockwell/delta homecraft 4 inch model 2801 but made in Canada after rockwell bought beaver in 1954 my fil bought this brand new in the late 50's and used it for many years. when i got my hands on it, he had replaced the...
  19. S

My Shopful of Old Iron

for those who dont frequent the turning forum, here is my wood lathe its a 1940's henry power tools aka craftmaster "boat tail". 36 inch bed, 14 inch max dia. inboard powered by a Hoover 1hp with a 5 speed jackshaft and 4 speed head stock, motor is reversible(switch on the motor's side)
  20. S

Recycled Cedar into a Small Outdoor Table

i'll get some pics of the various jigs and setups today. i stated with nominal 2 by 3 cedar, actually 1 3/4 by 2 3/4, so a little larger than typical construction stuff these days. picked through the pile to find all nice close grained stuff(easy pickins!). i cutup blanks for all the...