Search results

1. K

The Baby Dresser

Thanks for the compliments...one enjoys hearing accolades for their work. Jig and fixtures: Jigs will increase both your accuracy of placement/cutting as well as your consistency. This was a feature of woodworking I never truly appreciated. From simple boards to align drawer slides and...
  2. K

The Baby Dresser

This is literally under (beside) the Christmas tree, ready for expectant parents of twins. It has been quite an adventure, quite a learning experience. It is made from red oak with poplar drawers, some sheet red oak inside and on the back. This is my first major "fine furniture" project in a...
  3. K

Help me approach this problem

We have a tiled shower stall, white 4x4 tile up to about 6 feet surrounding the stall. We see a stain on the vertical drywall just to the side of where the shower pipe emerges from the wall and just above the tile. I suspect a hairline leak in the elbow just behind the wall. My question is...
  4. K

Numerous Jigs for Bed Design

I am planning a project to replicate the bed shown in the pictures below. I am fairly inexperienced with jigs and totally inexperienced with bentwood lamination. The headboard/footboard in this design is replete with challenging jig setups. Check me out on my predictions for needed jigs. 1...
  5. K

Watchouts in making a bed

I am planning a headboard/footboard combo. I posted a picture in the design forum (asking a SU question). Would any of you who have made a bed, comment here on any watchouts, tips, things to plan for, etc. This will be my first bed project and I would like to be informed. I am planning a...
  6. K

Need Help with Parts with Arcs

I find using the SU arc tool to be simple in a few cases, and utterly frustrating in many others. I am trying to bring together the arced rail in the bed shown below, with a corresponding short curved section of the vertical leg. I am struggling with many constructions lines, trial and error...
  7. K

What is a "Woodsucker"?

As I gather information to improve the absolutely miserable dust control I have in my basement, I came upon the excellent site by Bill Penze: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm. My question here is that he and some others in related links, refer to something called the...
  8. K

Belt Sander vs a Drum (thickness) Sander

Can you folks comment on the relative tradeoffs of thicknessing stock with a belt sander vs a thickness sander. Now, it is obvious that the thickness sander will be superior but in making the tradeoff of cost vs results, can a belt sander be made to work? I have heard that belt sanders are...
  9. K

Extending cherry stock with MDF

I have about 200 bf of cherry in the basement and as I am considering various projects to use it on, the following thought came to me...yet I need some experienced reactions before proceeding. Instead of machining up 3/4 boards of cherry could I not take a 1/2 MDF and laminate a 1/4(+) resaw of...
  10. K

Hook and Loop Pad Wears out on Random Orbital??

I snagged the offer at Amazon for a free ROS in part because a friend says that he keeps three or four !! ROSs loaded with a different grit paper mainly because the Hook and Loop facing on the sanding pad will "rip off" or "wear out". The fewer changes, the better the life. Can someone confirm...
  11. K

Laminations to get contrasting designs

I almost don't know how to phrase my question: it has to do with a jewelery box I saw that had a dark wood cover but had a contrasting wood crossing the face...it was a narrow and non-constant width; the majority of the surface was the dark wood (walnut?--not sure). So my question is how does...
  12. K

A Discussion of Hand Cut Dovetails

Well, I just completed my first handcut dovetailed drawer and wanted to share my observations and ask for comment. I am building a baby dresser changing table under the guidance of a Master Woodworker who takes in students and helps them along 1 on 1. It has been a great learning experience...
  13. K

Push or Pull: what dovetail saw do you use?

For those who tackle the hand cut dovetail approach, can you describe the type of saw you use and why you use it? As I am trying to learn to cut dovetails, I have a Japanese Dozuki which my instructor uses and I am not sure I like it--but I do not have a push saw so have no side by side...
  14. K

Incra Dovetails on Wide and Long Boards

I am building a baby dresser/changing table pictured here (scroll down)...http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6284 ) and I need your advice on the drawer dovetails. The drawer dimensions are 5 1/2, 8, and 11 1/2 deep by 35 inches wide. I have a very old incra positioning jig...
  15. K

What Are My Options for Decorative Drawer Fronts

I am building a three drawer/one door baby dresser with changing table on top, and am noodling what kind of choices I have to put on some "decorative" designs on say the drawer fronts or the door front or both, or maybe the sides. "Decorative" designs? What does that mean? You tell me. I...
  16. K

Complex Model: components, materials and cutlist

Well, my model is nearing (drawing) completion with 58 components and 28 scenes and probably just as many layers. I had to create this seeming complexity in order to get individual drawing of parts and subassemblies in order to have drawings to take to the shop. I followed Dave's suggestion...
  17. K

Help with Unexpected Change in the Display

I have been busily working away on a dresser type piece of furniture and everything has been proceeding fine until all of a sudden I observed that the ogee surfaces I had pushed (F/M tool) into the edges of some drawer fronts display horribly on the screen. For a long while since I made them...
  18. K

Compound, complex curves

I am looking for help in drawing/constructing complex curves (in a single plane). An example could be the starting profile for a cabriole leg. I have seen and understand several videos (one from the Tauton site) on making the leg after having or drawing the complex shape in a single plane...
  19. K

Drawer Component Dimensions as Function of Size

I do not have experience making drawers and as I am designing a children's chest of drawers, I am uncertain how to dimension/configure the drawers. Specifically, as the width of the drawer gets larger, do other dimensions have to increase. Can a 1/4 inch ply (nowadays really 3/32) serve as a...
  20. K

Getting Good Parts Dwgs from a SU Assembly

The recent poll by Dave Richards was interesting, especially as I am using SU for all of my design work. I am struggling with how to get working, dimensioned drawings of parts from the screen onto paper to take to the shop. On complex assemblies, this does not seem to be an easy or intuitive...