Search results

1. Tom Niemi

Exciting night!

Don’t have all the details yet, but we have a brand spanking new great granddaughter 😁. We will go up to the hospital tonight with our 6 year old great grandson (he doesn’t know she was born yet, he is staying with us till they get home sometime Friday, exciting times 🙂 Edit: her name is Lanah...
  2. Tom Niemi

JET JCDC-2 Cyclone Dust Collector

I guess since I've been doing this woodworking stuff for 18 years now, I guess I may as well continue. So I have decided to improve my dust collection system, it has worked well, but I'm ready for a cyclone system. Today I ordered a Jet JCDC-2 Cyclone Dust Collector, 2 Micron Filter' 938 CFM, 2...
  3. Tom Niemi

Gibson ES-335 Kit Guitar Build

I mentioned earlier in a post that I am going to build a guitar kit, I've found it to be fun and challenging. The kit is a Stu Mac ES-335 and I am only using the body and neck, all else is upgraded from the kit, bit by bit have been working on this, nice kit, decent veneer, so far so good.
  4. Tom Niemi

Dad’s bird carvings

A while back there was some interest in my dad’s carvings, he was a song bird carver, and IMHO a pretty darn good one, so here are some of his carvings, pictures are shot through glass so there is some reflection.
  5. Tom Niemi

My Dad’s Urn

I made this using Michigan’s upper peninsula Birdseye Maple and Walnut I helped mill. My dad was from the upper peninsula so I felt this wood is fitting for him and he will be buried up there 1/2 mile from where he was born and raised. The engraving was wonderfully done by Bill Arnold, thank you...
  6. Tom Niemi

Lost a great man today

I normally don’t post things like this, but felt compelled to anyway. I lost my dad this afternoon at the age of 92, stubborn ole finlander has battled cancer and beat it 3 times since 1999, but the 4th time, along with Alzheimer’s, lost the final battle. We were heading there weds for a visit...
  7. Tom Niemi

Barn doors

Last summer, my friend of 55+ years asked if I could build some barn doors for their place in Florida, of course I said sure. Then he said he would supply the wood, perfect! THEN he brought me the wood :doh: After a ton of milling, cutting off unusable material, and contributing some oak for...
  8. Tom Niemi

Outdoor Bench

We have an old Cast Iron bench with wooden slats and it has seen its better days sorry, only pic I have of it, you can see the cast is not looking good and the wood is much worse My son's FIL offered sandblasting services and took him up on it and it came out FANTASTIC! Sprayed with...
  9. Tom Niemi

Good day today!

Spending the day at my son and daughter-in-law house watching their boys, they have about 30 acres that are bordering 60 more family acres of land, FULL of trails. So they have a golf cart with a 6” lift kit and my oldest grandson was my chauffeur 😊 as I said good day😊
  10. Tom Niemi

Wedding gift

We have some friends getting married next weekend, so I made a cutting board and matching trivets as a gift. Outer edges are jarrah with maple, walnut and cherry in the center, and thanks to my bud Larry for wide belt service👍
  11. Tom Niemi

Ooni Pizza Oven Table

I picked up a Ooni Fyra 12 pellet fueled pizza oven and needed a table to put it on, this is what I came up with, it is 18" wide, 32" deep and 30" tall, used up some scrap oak, finished with 2 coats General Finishes candlelite and 2 coats of Cabot's spar varnish and hinges came from amazon. Now...
  12. Tom Niemi

Little Stool for Mom

My mom liked the stools I made for the grand kids and asked if i could make one for her, only taller to sit on and put her shoes on. This is a little wider and deeper and 17" tall, made from cherry and stained Sedona Red, Poly and TreWax. Hope she likes it :)
  13. Tom Niemi

Toy box

This is one of many projects that keep pushing the dry bar project off, but the grand kids come first 🙂. Purchased these plans years ago and altered to two panels wide picked out some quarter sawn red oak from my stash cut to size, made the tongue and groves for the joints Assembled the...
  14. Tom Niemi

DW735 new parts

I've been having a continuing issue with my Dewalt planer, finally got to the point that enough is enough. Tired of taking it apart after 2-3 boards and vacuuming it our so I could adjust the height to continue, just filled up with shavings. Took it apart, removed the fan blower assembly and...
  15. Tom Niemi

A “little” board

Well, a little larger than little lol, a friend of ours asked if I would make this for her, it’s going to set on an old treadle sewing machine base her husband restored for her. It is 32” x 16” x 3 3/4” maple and walnut. Weights in at 53lbs!
  16. Tom Niemi

A few stool's

I made some stool's for the grandkid's for christmas, Cherry for grandson #2, walnut for Great grandson #1 and QSRO to keep here for the little one's to reach the sink or what ever. I think they came out all right :)
  17. Tom Niemi

Fabric Hutch in the works (Was Dry Bar in the works)

I have been wanting to make this for a while and finally have it in the works, it will be 44" wide x 36" tall x 18" deep. So far I have the pieces for the base carcass cut out, drilled for 1/2" dowels and dry fitted. Now on to more parts and pieces :)
  18. Tom Niemi

Clock Shelf

Some time back I asked a question on how to clean a 1880’s family mantel clock. Had great ideas and success! Now I decided it needed a nice shelf to display it on, simplistic and functional 🙂
  19. Tom Niemi

What to do with this???

Had my friend of 50 years over the other night and he brought these over and gave to me, not sure about the usage of this lathe, if its worth doing anything with or not (maybe I'll drop it off at Larry's :ROFLMAO:). Lots of old tools, a few nice ones! #89 stanley scraper is kool, and 2 nice hand...
  20. Tom Niemi

Kitchen Knives

I've always wanted a good set of kitchen knifes but found them out of my price range. One day a few years ago, I found this 5 piece set of Damascus blanks on sale at Woodcraft at I believe 50% off (could be wrong of the %) but enough that I felt they were affordable. Also 4 years ago, the misses...