Search results

1. P

New wall table

I recently finished this black walnut table for my wife. It's about 4-1/2 feet wide and 13" deep. The top is a single piece 1-1/4" thick. The "apron" is three layers (1/8" thick each) laminated around a curved form. The apron rests in a 1/2" deep groove routed into the bottom of the top with...
  2. P

Slowly getting there ...

Well, it's pretty much done now. I've got a few minor things to take care of yet, but it's about ready to start cutting wood.
  3. P

Slowly getting there ...

Today's update - The height stop is completed, and the arbor casting is installed: One other thing to figure out - the three belts are different tensions when installed. The belt closest to the motor is tighest, the middle one is quite a bit looser, and the one furthest from the motor is...
  4. P

Slowly getting there ...

Time to showcase my Dad's handiwork. First the pulley sleeve - nothing earthshattering here, but a very neat and clean job of it. He centered the pulley based on the V-groove machining, bored it out and turned a recess on the face to receive the flange on the bushing/spacer, turned down a piece...
  5. P

Slowly getting there ...

Some progress pics -
  6. P

Slowly getting there ...

In September of 2010, i came across a 1959 Powermatic 65 that a fellow had gotten from the Springfield Missouri public schools. It still had the inventory stickers on it. (I am amazed at how much old school shop machinery there is floating around out there). I brought it home, knowing i didn't...
  7. P

Up and running

I decided to make my wife a small wall mounted table for Christmas - sooo . . . It's got a curved front apron made with laminated layers of walnut - sooo . . . I needed to put a bigger motor on my Crescent 20" band saw for the resawing - sooo . . . I had to rebuild the 2hp motor sitting in my...
  8. P

P-wood Derby

My son had his first Pinewood Derby over the weekend. We started out by having the all of the kids in his den over to the shop for a "meeting" where we started working on the cars. Of the 6 kids, i'm the only parent that has a shop, much less a work bench or basic hand tools. I was a bit...
  9. P

one last part . . .

I'm chomping at the bit to tear into the Powermatic 65 table saw that's been sitting in my basement for the past few months. Now that the holidays are over, i'll have some time coming up. Since getting the saw, i've addressed the mechanical / electrical issues - found a single phase motor...
  10. P

VFD on old saw

A Powermatic 65 cabinet saw followed me home the other day. The rebuild is on the docket for this fall / winter (after i finish up the "summer" projects i'm not quite done with). I'm pretty excited about it. The contractor saw i've been using is a great tool, and i've done a lot of good work...
  11. P

not really old & not much iron

I just picked up a 10 year old Hitachi 10" dual compound sliding miter saw. I had been using an old Makita 14" fixed model - no slide or compound cut and was fairly limited by its capacity - not to mention intimidated by the size of the blade and the brute simplicity of the thing. This "new"...
  12. P

One man's trash . . .

An old Craftsman / Parks planer found its way into the back of my truck this weekend. I've been eyeing these machines for years now and was pretty excited to find one. I'm an absolute bottom feeder, so it's got to be free or really close to it to come home with me. I always assumed that, as...
  13. P

And the ax falls . . .

Just got my two weeks notice at work. At least they gave me that. I've been at the same place for the past 12 years. It should be interesting hitting the job market again, especially with the economy in its current state. Anyone near St. Louis looking for an architect / planner? paulh
  14. P

clamps at Rockler

I picked up some small F clamps at Rockler. Their flyer lists them as Besseys, but they're actually Gross Stabils. They're 40% off. I got a half dozen 6" clamps for right at $20. The sizes range from 4" through 12". I do believe i'm headed back for more. paulh
  15. P

Did i NEEEEED another drill press?

This found its way into the back of my truck on friday. I'm pleased as punch with the Walker Turner DP that i've been using for the past 9 years, but couldn't let this one go. My wife dutifully shook her head and rolled her eyes, then accepted the fate of being wed to an addict. It's a South...
  16. P

Organic table

I'm not sure this is what you'd call flatwork, but i don't know where else to put it. I'm making a small table that hangs on the wall. While the top is a flat single black walnut board (hand flattened and thickness planed because, at a bit over 15" deep, it's too wide for my jointer / planer)...
  17. P

first drill press

One other little project we're working on in Hubbman's Hide-a-way - a small drill press rebuild for my 6 year old. A couple of weekends ago Nick (my son) and i were walking through a resale shop full of building materials (Habitat for Humanity "Restore") looking for a kitchen wall cabinet to...
  18. P

super smooth

I parted ways with my rebuilt Walker Turner 24" scroll saw a few weeks ago (gave it to my Dad) to make room for the Delta 24" scroll saw i got from my boss (along with a junior unisaw and a light duty shaper - all well maintained vintage Delta). I liked that old WT, and had fun rebuilding it...
  19. P

toy for kids (and me)

I thought i'd share this - Santa put this under the tree for the kids this year. The hardware and instructions came in a kit from Lee Valley, and i spent a week or so of evenings making the box, puting it together, and painting it up. It works pretty well - a fun little project. Paul Hubbman
  20. P

finally done - almost

OK, so the built-ins i've been harping on about over the past few months are finally done (except for another coat of poly, but i'll wait until warm weather so i can open up the house for that one). There's even a pic of the cat who wasn't too fond of the first stain job i did on the tops -...