Search results

1. Steve Schlumpf

My First Mesquite Hollow Form

Wanted to share my first ever Mesquite hollow form. The wood was gifted to me by a friend who harvested the wood while in Texas this past winter. Seeing as how it was my first time turning Mesquite, I figured what better tribute than a Southwestern style hollow form! I know – no big surprise...
  2. Steve Schlumpf

Curly Maple Vase #5

This is the last of the series of 5 vases that I had roughed out of the wonderful curly maple that a guy from my turning club had given me. Beautiful stuff! This vase was dyed to match vase #4 as I thought a set might look pretty cool. Curly Maple vase, 8 3/4" high x 4"...
  3. Steve Schlumpf

Curly Maple Vase #4

Managed to post when rushed for time - and true to form - posted in the wrong forum! Duh! So, I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on this form - please let me know! Curly Maple, 7 5/8" high x 4 3/4" diameter x 1/8" thick. Dyed with powdered RIT clothing dye (Scarlet) mixed with denatured...
  4. Steve Schlumpf

Curly Maple Vase #3

This curly Maple vase measures 8" high x 5" wide x 1/4" thick. Color is from RIT 'Kelly Green' clothing dye mixed with DNA (denatured alcohol). Sanded to 800 grit and has several coats of wipe-on gloss poly. Will wait for a week or so and then buff. As always, your comments...
  5. Steve Schlumpf

Curly Maple Vase #2

Curly Maple, 8 5/8" high x 4 1/4" wide x 1/8" thick, sanded to 800 grit and has several coats of wipe-on gloss poly. Will wait for a week or so and then buff it out and apply some Renaissance wax. As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed! Thanks for looking...
  6. Steve Schlumpf

Curly Maple Vase

This curly maple was left over from a chunk that a new member of our turning club brought with him when he stopped in for some one-on-one lathe time back in March. Sure is some beautiful wood! Turned green to finial thickness, then soaked in DNA (denatured alcohol), wrapped and allowed to...
  7. Steve Schlumpf

Spalted Vase

This wood was a gift from a friend in Wisconsin and he told me it came from a hard maple tree that had died, then blew over in the wind with the main trunk hanging up on the stump. The tree had been hanging there for about 8 years and over time the spalting had migrated up the trunk from the...
  8. Steve Schlumpf

UP 200 Sled Dog Race

This is for those of you who do not live in snow country - just one form of entertainment we have up here in the winter! For more info on what the race is all about: http://www.up200.org/
  9. Steve Schlumpf

Ash & Ebony Hollow Form

Couple of firsts for me - first time turning Ash and the first time turning Ebony. I really like the color of the Ash but found it likes to chip out on the edges. The Ebony was amazing to turn! Very strong and dense wood that takes detail work exceptionally well! I can understand why...
  10. Steve Schlumpf

Snow & Ice Hollow Form

Maple hollow form, 6 3/4" diameter x 8 1/2" to top of finial x 1/8" thick. Finish is multiple layers of Kiwi white Scuff Coat and several coats of Minwax water based satin spray poly. I turned this for an upcoming local juried Art Expo that is coming up at the end of this month and am...
  11. Steve Schlumpf

Littlest Angel Ornament

Curly Birdseye Maple, 1 ½” high x 1 3/8” diameter, base hollowed out to 1/16”, sanded to 400, lacquer finish and a small feather to complete the look. In case you are wondering - I did not paint eyes on the Angel - it's all natural. As always, your opinions, comments and critiques...
  12. Steve Schlumpf

Shawl Pin

Had a request from my wife, Colleen - who is an avid knitter - to turn a shawl pin. This is what I came up with and it is based loosely on a design of an old Viking cloak pin. Cherry, 3 1/2" outside diameter, 1 3/4" inside diameter x a tapered 5/16 thick. The pin portion - also Cherry - is 6...
  13. Steve Schlumpf

Update on Art Show (long version)

Some of you may recall that I entered a regional juried art show awhile back. Of the three pieces I submitted, one of them was accepted to the show – this one: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15558 When I originally posted the work, I also requested ideas for names -...
  14. Steve Schlumpf

Forget-Me-Not Bowl

I was challenged to turn something that I had not done before – something to push my comfort zone – and this is what I came up with. Maple bowl, 8 ¾” diameter x 3 ¾” high, with a nice and thin undercut rim that was then drilled, burnt and inked with my version of Forget-Me-Not flowers. It...
  15. Steve Schlumpf

Desert Sun Hollow Form

Another piece of maple that was severely cracked but had enough character in the wood to justify at least making an effort. Maple, 6 ½” diameter x 5 ¼” high, largest crack filled with bronze powder and CA, sanded to 400 and finished with several coats of gloss poly. As always...
  16. Steve Schlumpf

Knotted Curly Maple HF

Every once in awhile I grab some of the ugliest chunks of wood and turn them just to see what if. This piece was roughed out a year ago and set aside to dry. Sure enough, the knots cracked as well as the stressed areas of the form as it dried. Oh well. Filled in the holes and cracks with...
  17. Steve Schlumpf

Spalted White Birch Bowl

Found a bunch of rough outs that I had stashed in the far corner of my shop and forgotten about. This one was roughed out in August of 2006! I need to look around the shop a little more often! Spalted White Birch, 9 3/4" diameter x 4 1/2" high x 1/4" thick. Sanded to 320 grit and finished with...
  18. Steve Schlumpf

Wormy White Birch Bowl

When I roughed out this bowl last year I couldn’t believe the bugs! Pulling it from the DNA bath, it looked like I had thrown a tablespoon of coffee grounds into the alcohol! At least they left some cool markings and the holes run all the way through the walls of the bowl. White...
  19. Steve Schlumpf

End Grain Maple Calabash Bowl

This Maple bowl is 10 ½” diameter x 5 ¼” high with walls at 1/16” thick. The bottom of the bowl is ¼” or slightly thicker to give the bowl some weight. Sanded to 320 and has the first of several coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly. The bowl was quite a challenge to get clean...
  20. Steve Schlumpf

Thin Maple Bowl

Wanted to turn something that was a little different and this is the result. Finally got over treating each piece of wood I put on the lathe like it is the last piece of wood I have. I was determined to turn this bowl thin and I didn’t care if it blew up in the process. I am happy with the...