Search results

1. Ed Thomas

I hate meeses to pieces....

We had a cat that would drag home groundhogs and offer them to my mother. Mother was not impressed.
  2. Ed Thomas

I know I've said this before

Love cats. Had 24 of them born in the workshop. Most were pestiferous dustbuckets.
  3. Ed Thomas

Free HDPE

allen levine ?
  4. Ed Thomas

A Ming-Style Table

We had (my sister still has) what was a "Moorish Traveling Table". Made to throw on your camel between camps as I understand it.
  5. Ed Thomas

Best Single Serve Coffee maker

I have a Faema Family espresso kit from '89 at home and the same from '86 at the shop. I think they may be related to a certain bunny ...
  6. Ed Thomas

Artificial Intelligence

I think he was saying he had a problem with "their" and "thier", not "there".
  7. Ed Thomas

Artificial Intelligence

Twas just 10 days ago I had dinner with friends. Liz is a professor at a University in St Catherines, and she'd caught one of those. Student will get a "0" on that exam, and a warning not to do it again. Another occurrence and it will go on their scholastic record.
  8. Ed Thomas

Do No Know Where to Put This question

Actually it's a quite precise pattern. CMK are at exactly 60 degree rotation from each other (the Y is slipped in at 30 degrees). Any other pattern will result in a moire.
  9. Ed Thomas

A few sheaths...

Thanks. The leather ones were properly double-stitched (two needles as Mike's). Here's a set of shearling whip-stitched dress gloves. The cuff goes over the coat sleeve to keep the wind out. I found the hardest part is to not have the fingers do a corkscrew. BTW, hand stitching a pair of gloves...
  10. Ed Thomas

A few sheaths...

I can't recall ever making a sheath, but my mother spent some time as a glover in England working, as I recall, for Harrods. Of course she taught us kids a few things. These were for the coral & cream scoot, with matching seat and saddle bags.
  11. Ed Thomas

Gonna Be an Interesting Night

Mike: I had a chance to scoot over to the Spice Shop on Saturday and take a couple of photos of the "Stitching Hammer". This is the precursor to the pneumatic hammers in use today /\/\/\/\/\ (note the hammer is soft and dull).
  12. Ed Thomas

They don't need to be super sharp. Maybe this will show it. 'O' is the grain, '/' is the burr, '>' is the rotation. The grain is pinched/cut by the trailing edge of the burr. So, the duller edge does the work. BTW, the plates should not touch. />>> O /<<< The 800 mm stone above has 13...
  13. Ed Thomas

I've been at this for less than 20 years. It's been a learning experience. So much of what you see on YT is just plain wrong. In a former life I was a printing press technician ('78-'83), trained outside of Fukuyama, ran the service department for Canada. Then I owned a print shop ('83-'05). One...
  14. Ed Thomas

Surprised they wouldn't tip it on edge to get it through the door. They do have to flip it over to dress the bottom. That stone has had all the "dressing" worn off the "lands". I have a chipping hammer that could fix that, except the stone is probably too thin as it stands so it's been retired...
  15. Ed Thomas

Not just a 22" mill, as in one of, that's 3 of 22" mills! Unfortunately some fool was playing around in the warehouse with MY STACKER and tipped a mill on it's backside so they are down to 2 of 22" mills. We had a quote of $800-1200 to have it welded (cast iron). One mill is dedicated to...
  16. Ed Thomas

I don't think I mentioned that the facility is an East Indian spice shop. The 22" mills are for Spice. The other 3 mills are for Flour, mostly Sorghum, Millet, Chickpea etc. We have a long and somewhat unusual history going back to 1999.
  17. Ed Thomas

I'm mostly self taught and used to use a hammer & chisel. That twas a long process. Nowadays I use an angle grinder with a diamond blade. It takes about 45 minutes per stone. A properly dressed stone can move a lot of cooling air. There are 2 horizontal (600 & 800mm) and 4 vertical (400 &...
  18. Ed Thomas

Here you go ...
  19. Ed Thomas

Speaking of milling flour, it's time to swap out the stones on the 30" mill this weekend.
  20. Ed Thomas

April 2023

I remember in 2012 on April Fools Day taking my, new to me, '66 Twingle for a ride around the neighbourhood. It was above zero, but not by much.