Search results

1. Drew Watson

New Dewalt Flex volt Circular saw

Just picked up the new flex volt 60 volt circular saw yesterday. I have been waiting for this one to arrive as I got a screaming good deal on it. Its a bit heavier than I expected but all the controls are exactly like my old Sawcat. No cord to drag around though. It has a light which in my...
  2. Drew Watson

Dewalt Flex volt Battery

So just heard they have released their new line of batteries. Flex volt 20 - 60 volt battery. Will work on tools between those voltages. though 20 volt tools will get 4 times the run time. The 60 volt will double up to run the new 120 volt battery / corded 12 inch miter saw. I heard this was in...
  3. Drew Watson

new shop in the works

Hi All been a while since my last post. Lots has happened in my life and now have moved to Salt Spring Island ( just off Victoria BC Canada. and am undertaking design and building a new shop. Nothing fancy. Have bounced lots of design ideas around and after talking to my Step brother and fellow...
  4. Drew Watson

Stu have I got a bike ride for you

There is some wood construction in this so it does sort of have to do with wood working. http://www.wimp.com/impressivebike/ :eek::eek::eek: these guys have what it takes.
  5. Drew Watson

A little disapointed

Well I ordered the grizzly 15 inch polar bear series thickness planer from Grizzly in Bellingham with extra blades. I waited the week for it to arrive at our shipping depot. Got the call today two packages. I arrived and was in the process of unpacking it to load it, (Good think I did) and...
  6. Drew Watson

Just in the nick of time for christmas

Just put the finishing touches on the chess set for the kids. Wish that I had taken more pics through the construction but was in a bit of a hurry to get it done. The board and men are maple and black walnut. The rest is all cherry that I salvaged from a job I did years ago. The inside of the...
  7. Drew Watson

Skew practice continued

Well Just finished off the last chess pieces for the set. been quite the challenge and have had a few set backs along the way. Now I can focus on finishing off the board. No idea how this is happening but once again the pictures are appearing upside down on the post. Please can someone give me...
  8. Drew Watson

Getting some skew practice in.

Well it has been a busy year for me with work and now that winter is upon us I finally got some time off before Christmas to get to that chess set I had been talking about. I already did the re saw of the black walnut and maple and glued it up to a 1/2 piece of ply ( for stability) I am still...
  9. Drew Watson

Las Vegas

Hi All long time since posting but have been really busy with work. :) I am finally heading off on a vacation to Vegas with the wife for a week ( first time to Vegas ever for either of us). I was wondering if anyone here has any info on any good wood working / turning supply stores, flea...
  10. Drew Watson

Yew box

I recieved some Yew wood a few months ago and I have determined this is by far my favorite wood to work with. I just love the way the wood works and finishes. I turned this as a bowl but then started thinking of how to make it more interesting so i added a lid. The lid even thouigh from the same...
  11. Drew Watson

Teak glue up

I scored some teak a few weeks back and was thinking of trying some segmented turning with it. Never had any experience working with teak. I know it is an oily wood so how does it glue up? anything special in the way of glues to use with it? anything special to do to prep the wood? what woods...
  12. Drew Watson

Where I stand on this planet

Ok silly as it may be here is the link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15391515. I am the 3,098,427,403 person alive on the earth. :eek: Just had to share that. :rofl:
  13. Drew Watson

Taming the skew ??

I picked up a new P&N ( no handle) 1 inch skew chisel for the lathe the other day and of course the angle is off so i set about sharpening it to the 70 degree angle ( what a chore in itself) I have realised that I am not getting exactly what I want in the way of the angle and am resigned to get...
  14. Drew Watson

baby rattle

I have not posted much as I have been real busy with work but my Nephew and his wife had a little girl a month or so back and I promised a home made rattle for little Eve. Well I finally got on it this weekend and am doing two for thanks giving. One captured ring rattle and one with beans. A...
  15. Drew Watson

work project

Don't know how the pics are going to turn out as I took them on my cell phone, but here goes. The story behind it is that I work for the school district ( carpenter) and was given a work order to build a set of permanemt stairs to replace the old rolling metal stairs in the community theater...
  16. Drew Watson

Lost a friend

Well it has been a difficult week as our miniiture Schnauzer of 14 yrs (Skipper)had to be put down last sunday. He was sick and had developed cushing disease as well as Diabetes and things went from bad to worse for him. When the end came he went in my loving wifes arms. He was very special to...
  17. Drew Watson

Power problems with the new saw

Been thinking about heading to Bellingham Washington to do some shopping at grizzly. I have been thinking about getting a grizzly 17-19 inch band saw. Any advice or personal experience with these saws or other advice?
  18. Drew Watson

Thank goodness for the COC

Yea I can't really say what i want here right now but I can explain it and you can fill in the words yourselves. I recived an old chunk of burl last year. I mean gray old burl bone dry and sort of rotted a little but I put it on the back burner till last weekend. Figured that I had enough...
  19. Drew Watson

recieved the call today

Well it was yesterday at noon and from my old employer the school district. back to my old job with the district. New boss was totally understanding and regretted loosing me as he said I was the only one that knew what he was doing on the job site. I have been working on a new condo project...
  20. Drew Watson

Accident at work

Just heard that one of my old co-workers at the school district had a nasty accident with a router. Don't know all the particulars as to how it happened but it involved a 1 1/4 router bit and his hand being pushed through it. not just a nick. This man has many years behind him in the business in...