Search results

1. Chuck Ellis

Maybe getting settled in...

I've made the big move from Tennessee to North Carolina to be closer to my son after Dianne passed.. Moved over her the end of February and still waiting for the house sale in TN to close... should happen next week. Jason bought an 80 year old house for me, newly refurbished and ready to move...
  2. Chuck Ellis

We had a chance of 60% rain today

From the sound on my metal roof, think we're having 100% rain now.
  3. Chuck Ellis

I need to change the on/off switch

I have a 2007 or 2008 model of a JET 1442 lathe with the Reeves unit.... Last week I broke the belt and had to replace it today... always a chore replacing the belts and pulleys on this unit.... after I got the belt installed and moving I discovered that the on/off switch doesn't turn on the...
  4. Chuck Ellis

New Cherry wood bowls

A fellow vendor at the Museum Marketplace gave me a few chunks of Cherry from a tree he cut.... I got these two bowls from half of one of the logs... The bigger bowl is 9 1/2" diameter and 3 1/2" high at the rim... the second bowl was cored out of the first with my Woodcut Coring tool and is 8...
  5. Chuck Ellis

How many bowls

We had a rain and wind storm a few days back and this tree was leaning a bit naturally, then the root ball gave way.. the top caught in another tree... another rain storm and this was the results... the base is nearly 2' diameter maybe bigger, haven't measured yet and the trunk is at least 35-40...
  6. Chuck Ellis

Wormy pecan bowl

Dave Hoskins posted his little pecan bowls, so thought might show one of mine... This is a wormy pecan... it laid in my wood pile for a while and had a bunch of worm/bug holes that I just left in place, dripped with thin CA to stabilize and turned... finished with my usually abrasive grit paste...
  7. Chuck Ellis

Pepper Mills

I also have a dozen pepper mills to take to the museum market later this week... they are one winter hours this month so will take them down on Saturday... I used the same finish on all of them, sanded to 400, then an abrasive grit (my version of Yorkshire grit), covered with sanding sealer...
  8. Chuck Ellis

Cherry and Cherry burl bowls

One of my fellow vendors at the Museum Marketplace dropped off a few pieces of a cherry tree he had cut... there were a few little burls on the wood... These 3 bowls are from the main portion of the log.... I cut the log to size, turned the big bowl, then using my Woodcut Coring attachment cored...
  9. Chuck Ellis

Finally got back into the shop

Haven't worked much in the shop much since June when I had the internal bleeding in my leg, but finally got out yesterday and turned down some pepper mill blanks I glued up over the last couple of weeks.... these are just preliminary, still need to cut off the top pieces and drill them. I've...
  10. Chuck Ellis

For Peter Rideout -- Hurricane Fiona

Hi Peter, Are you far enough inland that Hurricane Fiona won't affect you too much.... from news it's moving north and will hit the Canadian coast line in a few days.
  11. Chuck Ellis

Boy I got my come uppence this month

I've been reading posts of the guys here who have been have a little health issue and kinda gloating about how healthy I am at my age... etc... The first of May I was diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis and Atril Fibrulation.... the doc put me on a blood thinner and said he would watch the Aortic...
  12. Chuck Ellis

Another shortage I don't see as a crisis...

It's been on the news for a week or more about the baby formula shortage.... what did mothers do before formula was invented? I'm 80 years old, born at home and as far as I know my mother probably nursed me to a point, then switched to condensed milk, karo syrup when her milk ran out and I...
  13. Chuck Ellis

Some new bowls..

These are a few new bowls I finished this week. I have a booth at the Charles Hall Museum Market Place here in Tellico Plains... one of the other vendors brought me a few pieces of wood from a tree he cut... all Cherry and with some burl.... these are 4 bowls I cut from the wood. The bowl is...
  14. Chuck Ellis

Getting old is beginning to suck

I've been bragging about how healthy I am at 80 years.... went to my cardiologist yesterday... I've had a slight heart murmur for the past 4 or 5 years, but never had any problems with it and last visit he said I had a valve that sounded like it was hardening... yesterday he did an EKG and said...
  15. Chuck Ellis

It's official as of 30 years and 10 minutes ago

Dianne and I were just pronounced man and wife at about 8:35 pm Texas time, 30 years ago today.... it's been a good ride and would only change one thing if I had the power.... Dianne's health has been deteriorating slowly for the last 15 years or so... We went out to one of our local Mexican...
  16. Chuck Ellis

Another couple of bowls I finished this week

About a month or so back one of the other vendors at the Museum Market offered me some wood... he bought several short logs, two of which had some small burls about 5 or 6" diameter.... haven't turned them yet, waiting for them to dry a little more... but I did take one of the log blanks and cut...
  17. Chuck Ellis

Ain't nuthin Fancy

But I've had this piece of White Oak Burl in my shop for about 10 or 11 years.... we picked it up when we got Harley, from same place, and I just never knew what I wanted to do with it... was very irregular in shape... was cut wonky.... finally decided to more or less square it up and see if I...
  18. Chuck Ellis

Can I rant about something?

I just had a phone call from a young lady supposedly selling or offering more benefits for my medicare .... we get one of these calls about every other day, most often the caller has a very poor command of the English language - or my 80 year old ears can translate fast enough to understand all...
  19. Chuck Ellis

A new batch of pepper mills

I finished these up last Friday... was to take them to my Farmer's Market last Saturday, but the market was canceled due to weather system.... will go tomorrow. They are all glue ups from various boards... aspen, paduak, yellow heart, rosewood, brazilian wild walnut, maple veneers and maybe a...
  20. Chuck Ellis

Latest batch of bowls.

Just finished these today... all are finished with my version of Yorkshire grit, Old Masters sanding sealer and wipe on poly.... This is a piece of Poplar that i bought at my local wood supplier's warehouse... the block was 40 x 10 x 4 inches... I cut it into 4 blocks and actually got 8...