Search results

1. B

maple log for riving

Hello all, Have not been on the forum for quite some time, but need some help now and thought you good folks could steer me in the right direction. Trying to make a Windsor Sack Back chair in the Mike Dunbar style. The seat blank has been trimmed and the saddle shape made. Using Dunbar's...
  2. B

FWW Book Giveaway: The Frugal Woodturner by Ernie Conover

For you spiny guys from Fine Woodworking magazine: The Frugal Woodturner: Make and Modify All the Tools and Equipment You Need by Ernie Conover Fox Chapel Publishing, 2010. $19.95; 136 pp. Leave a comment on this Fine Woodworking magazine post by 12:01am Eastern Time, Monday, January 17...
  3. B

Rabbet plane wanted

I sent this note to Roy Underhill asking for some insight from him:
  4. B

Need a new motor

Looking for a replacement motor for my Delta Double Duty lathe recently acquired. I am thinking 3/4 hp TEFC 1 phase 1750RPM 110v reversible and would really prefer dual shaft. Biggest concern is price. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
  5. B

Scotch Brite pads on an arbor

Does anyone know where I can find Scotch-Brite pads that are attached to an arbor and can be used on a drill press? It is not an easy thing to find, Lowe's does not have it, at least not the one near me. I am looking to use it to clean up some handles from an old lathe and was told they work...
  6. B

Delta Double Duty Lathe No 952???

Hi Bart and anyone else with any ideas :wave: I still do not understand how the previous user could change speeds. Here is a closeup of the jackshaft mounting. This part of the arrangement looks like it is for the slower speeds, since it gets the power from the inside shaft on the motor...
  7. B

Delta Double Duty Lathe No 952???

I think I have a No 952 sort of lathe: Here is the lathe I got with some of the extras. Another view This shows the weird pulley arrangement. In the Delta Catalog they show the No952 Eight speed with a Countershaft set below on a low shelf of the table but this has the motor and...
  8. B

Is this worth a 90 mile r/t to see

This is on Craigslist and I am curious if anyone thinks it is worth the time, travel, and price. http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/tls/1273124281.html
  9. B

Quotes

This is what I was talking about: It has the person's name and a link to the quote. That is what I was calling a quote attribution. Attributing a quote to a specific person. How do I get that to appear when I am trying to quote someone?
  10. B

Quotes

How do you get the quote attribution to include the link arrow?
  11. B

Spindle roughing gouge

Hi All, I need to make a few dowels, 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" to thread for vises I am making for a workbench. Bought a cheap HF lathe and have some SYP that I am using for the workbench. The glued up pieces for the dowels are 3" x 3" x 30". Since I also bought a cheap HF turning set and have only a...
  12. B

Bandsaw drift question

I have a question about setting drift and distance from the blade. I just added a torsion box surround to my little Delta Shopmaster band saw table top. I have made a makeshift fence that locks in a t-slot on either end of the torsion box. I set the drift by cutting half way through a board and...
  13. B

Cutlist dimensions

Hello to all, I am looking at a project plan on FWW magazine site that has table legs with a thickness dimension of 1 3/16. Assuming (I know that is a dangerous thing to do but...) this is the finished dimension, what size rough lumber would have to be used 5/4 or 6/4? Could I reasonable expect...
  14. B

David Marks workshop

Hi All, I am trying to get time to build a new workbench and have a few questions related to that end. David Marks, on DIY WoodWorks repeats which I watch for the little extras you can catch with repeated watching, has a router built into the side of his tablesaw and uses the fence for both...
  15. B

Product review: Two routers make their mark

I think there are enough people here who wear the same two hats to appreciate this on a day like today! http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/04/01/14FE-april-fool-routers_1.html?source=NLC-NETWORK&cgd=2008-04-01
  16. B

Delta rinky dink

OK now no one laugh but I just unpacked a new Delta planer. This is the smallest and cheapest one they make, 6" "ShopMaster". I am going to be using it to finish some SYP 2" x 12" that I am ripping to make the bench top and base for my workbench. Now to my question. I tried it on a 2x4 stud on...
  17. B

Workbench question

I might finally be able to set up a small workshop. First thing to be built will be a workbench. Due to cost and availability, SYP (southern yellow pine) will be the material used. I have collected a number of different plans and have reread a few in the past couple of days and it looks like...
  18. B

Selective New Posts

Hi All, I like to use the New Posts menu selection at the top of the page to quickly check through the forum for WOODWORKING stuff that might be of interest. My question, can I select which parts of the forum that the new posts will come from for my display? I would like to minimize the New...
  19. B

Wanted No. 7 Jointer Plane

Anybody have a spare No. 7 jointer plane in decent shape they might want to part with? I have tried to find one in local flea markets and on craigslist, but this is south Florida, a woodworking desert.
  20. B

Plywood carcase with permanent shelf

If I were to build a plywood carcase for a builtin cabinet with a face frame and wanted to have a permanent shelf in the center of this box what joint should I use for the plywood shelf? This cabinet will hold fairly heavy items for storage. Just a simple dado? Would adding a front edge add to...