Search results

1. G

Belt Driven Wood Saw

Forgive me if this is the wrong area to post this. Recently we had a shed destroyed by wind. One of the items in the shed was my dad's old wood saw that was driven by a belt attached to a tractor wheel. We are thinking about selling it and I am trying to get an idea about value. Any thoughts...
  2. G

Back after some time off

Starting to turn again now that my shop is warming up. Started turning some pendants and had a piece of cherry burl turn out like this. Sprayed a couple of coat of lacquer on it. Needs a few more Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated
  3. G

Pendant question

I have ordered my backer plate to join "pendantmania". One question. How thick are you making them. I am trying to determine what pieces in my "scrap" pile are suitable.
  4. G

My first goblet

Finally decided the only way to make a goblet is do it. Since the cup did not explode during hollowing and the stem is smaller than the cup I consider it a successful effort. All comments appreciated
  5. G

another watch

This one is out of a piece of cherry burl. I really like it but am not sure which side is the top because of no grain direction.
  6. G

latest pocketwatch

My latest pocketwatch. It is made out of bocote. The first time i've used that wood. really like the grain. I have to put the post on for the chain. Any comments appreciated
  7. G

bowl within a bowl

I decided to try a bowl out of a piece of scrap sycamore just to get back in the game the other day. My dad says it looks like I found a bowl in a bowl!
  8. G

Time to get back at it.

Haven't turned anything in a while so I decided to make a box today out of a piece fo Canary wood. Thanks to Mike Stafford and his class at the NC woodturning symposium last week. I know this isn't a mosque box like he did in the class but I picked up several handy bits of advice.
  9. G

My latest box

Made out of Canary wood. I have to work on my photo setup. All comments appreciated. I just have a coat of BLO on it for the photo
  10. G

burl lumber question

My novice question for the day. Someone is sending me a few pieces of sample burl cherry and oak. Not sure how dry it will be. Does burl lumber need to be sealed to avoid checking?
  11. G

Latest box

This a my latest attempt at a box. Wood is bubinga. So far just a coat of sealer on it. All comments appreciated
  12. G

lidded box - Mahoghany

Comments welcome
  13. G

dust collection

I am looking into dust collection. I have a jet mini that I get to use on weekends if time permits. Not a high volume turner. What are thoughts on portable collectors versus air cleaners?
  14. G

sharpening a skewigouge??

any comments on sharpening a skewigouge? Did I spell it right?
  15. G

Chip Carving

Sorry if I am in the wrong forum. I was wondering if there are any chip carvers out there. I am interested in learning more about this.
  16. G

Signing work

I would like some comments about signing work. Type of pen, before/after finish, etc.
  17. G

captive ring tools

I was thinking about trying some captive rings and have seen articles about using dental tools for the job. I would like any comments, especially about making your own tools. I might try this before expense of a specialized tool
  18. G

sycamore lidded box

Warm weather brings a chance to get back into my shop. I decided to try a lidded box with finial. The box is sycamore and the finial walnut. I have not put a finish on yet. Let me know your thoughts
  19. G

signing work?

Not sure if this is the right forum but I was wandering the proper way to sign work(Type of pen, before/after finishing?)
  20. G

bud vase,

I needed to practice(or is it all practice) my spindle turning and decided to see what I could do with a piece of ash I had. All comments are appreciated.