Search results

1. Ian Gillis

Task lighting trick

Hi My bench doesn't get enough light, so I use 1 or 2 Luxo type lamps (articulated) to give me extra light for saw filing, joint making, and for anything else the 50 year old peepers need help with. My bench is too thick for the clamp that came with the lamp, and the cast iron base takes up...
  2. Ian Gillis

Drawer planing jig

Hi Took a few shots tonight of last night's wee project. I'm going to be making a few drawer boxes out of pine. I decided to go 7/16" thickness on the backs and sides. This is not to save money on materials (I'm resawing 3/4" S4S stock for this), but because it'll make the drawers look lighter...
  3. Ian Gillis

Before pic... yeah, that's the ticket!

Can you tell a man's state of mind by the amount of clutter on his workbench? Perhaps. I spent quite a while at the saw filing vise this evening and I decided that tidying up could wait til tomorrow. I am in the process of organising my resources. I've put together some storage units which...
  4. Ian Gillis

Oilstones - containing the mess

Hi I've been a Japanese water stone user since the early 80's. I plan to keep using them for certain certain situations (fast removal of metal), but I've switched to oilstones for the most part. What I'd like is to see is how oilstone users set up a honing station (pics very welcome), and how...
  5. Ian Gillis

Hello -- again :)

Hello Folks, I was active during the first several months of FWW, then I left to pursue other interests. I'm back now because I've dusted out the basement workshop and I'm back at it. I feel much better talking about woodworking when I'm actively doing it. I've done a bit of browsing, and it's...
  6. Ian Gillis

Another "What is it?"

Hi Gang There's a new set of photos up on the "What is it?" site. Link I missed last week entirely (got a house guest) - be sure to take a look at last week's set for a very attractive wood plane. I'm sure lots of you will recognise this type of plane. Some pretty obscure (to me) stuff this...
  7. Ian Gillis

These week's "What is it?"

Hi Gang Another set of photos has been posted at What is it? This week's assortment looks well suited to us tool oriented people. There's one kitchen gadget that I've seen in use at an historical recreation. That claw hammer looks like it comes from the golden age of tool patents - last half...
  8. Ian Gillis

Why I haven't been around much lately.

I just thought I should say why I haven't been posting much in the last few weeks so people won't think I've soured on the forum. One of our members (who shall remain nameless, Larry) and I got to talking about family histories, genealogy and such. I decided, for about the 3rd time in my life...
  9. Ian Gillis

this week's What is it?

hehe, I'm almost ahead of schedule this week :) A new set of photos is up at the What is it? I think I know a couple of them, but there're a few head-scratchers as usual. Post you guesses here.
  10. Ian Gillis

What is it? Ides of March edition

Hi I totally forgot about last week's puzzle - sorry. You can still find it on the site. What is it? Let's see what we can figure out!
  11. Ian Gillis

A classic saw with eye appeal

I came across this Atkins floor saw while poking around on eBay. I just love its lines - looks a bit like a scimitar. The tote is also very untypical. It would really add some variety to somone's saw collection. Link to Auction
  12. Ian Gillis

This Week's "What is it?"

There's a new set of pics up at the What is it? site. Link Take a look and come back here with your guesses :) Enjoy !
  13. Ian Gillis

Unbelievable Folding Chair - Video

I didn't post this in woodworking cus I don't know how it was made. Pretty cool however they did it :D Chair vid
  14. Ian Gillis

Get your mind around this gauge !!

A 4 beam marking/mortise gauge - with a sliding extension. Just what you might need when laying out a couple of mortises of different widths or offset... or what ? This looks like a tool for somebody who's got all the tools. Pretty cool to look at anyway :) eBay Link
  15. Ian Gillis

This Week's "What is it ?"

Hi A new set of photos has been posted at: What is it ? There's a couple of easy ones this week :) I got 908 and 912 nailed, but I'll keep my mouth shut so I won't spoil anyone else's fun. Enjoy !
  16. Ian Gillis

SawStop Contractor Saw TV sighting

I searched a couple of forums and it looks like nobody has posted on this yet. I watched "Ask this Old House" today. Sparky the host and Tommy Silva did a little piece on table saw safety. They scared the life out of a wiener on a SawStop contractor saw. Sheet metal wings, open stand - it's the...
  17. Ian Gillis

Woodworking Wiki thread on Woodnet

Hi There's a very active thread on Woodnet right now regarding the creation of a woodworking wiki. Wiki thread We discussed the same idea here and put it aside as being too ambitious for the time being. Their thread developed form the same idea as ours - the need for a woodworking FAQ. (So...
  18. Ian Gillis

This Week's "What is it ?"

A new set of photos has been posted at What is it ? Man, these things are getting more obscure all the time ! Have fun with it :)
  19. Ian Gillis

Variable speed motor drive for your tools ...

...not quite ready for prime time? I tried to scam Greg Cook into finding the answers for me, but he's too busy gloating today ;) The idea was to use a variable frequency drive (VFD) with 110vac single phase input to run a 3 phase motor (huff puff) and provide things like variable speed and...
  20. Ian Gillis

Online Hardwood Guide

Hi I came across a site put up by the Hardwood Manufacturers Association. They have a species guide to domestic North American hardwoods. It's not very in depth, but it packs a lot if info into a short article on our common hardwoods. Species Guide There's also a section called Design Values...