Search results

1. Kirk Constable

Bath redo is OVER

I'm calling it done now, with the completion of three cabinets... all simple plywood boxes with beadboard sides and door panels to match the wainscoting. :thumb: And just to clarify, the door reveals don't look nearly as bad in real life as the do in these pictures. Not sure why they look...
  2. Kirk Constable

Internet car sales

I made a couple Internet dealer inquiries last Friday night, both with big-city mega-dealers. One of them got back to me bright and early Saturday morning... the other midday on Monday. The 'late' one is the same one that took three days to get back to me when I was Fusion shopping a couple...
  3. Kirk Constable

Who's got a late model Mustang?

I'm giving serious consideration to buying a 2011 Mustang (waiting on the new V6). What specifically concerns me is wind noise. The Taurus has spolied me. :o I'm not sure I like the way the windows drop 1/2" or so when you open the door and go back up when you shut the door. How does that...
  4. Kirk Constable

Snow flurries

Well, we've had our annual snow flurries in the San Antonio area. Now we can get on with spring, which shoulda been here already. :mad:
  5. Kirk Constable

Valentimes Day hint

If you wait until the morning of, there are bargains to be had at the stores first thing. :thumb: Even the things not actually marked were on sale. One of the benefits of having a night job is not having to make an excuse to sneak out. :wave:
  6. Kirk Constable

Jelly Beans

Somebody at work keeps a big ol' bowl of gourmet jelly beans on her desk. I've never been much for jelly beans but these are good. So today I spent some time in the candy aisle at the gorcery... :eek:. Goodness! Starburst jelly beans... Hawaiian Punch jelly beans... Skittles jelly beans. A...
  7. Kirk Constable

Cash for Appliances

Curious to me why the government would be handing out 'rebates' for new refrigerators and freezers, but not electric dryers...especially when washers are on the list as well. :huh:
  8. Kirk Constable

GE washer/dryer sale

In case anybody's shopping... HomeDepot has the lower end GE front load washer (and matching dryer) on sale for $499 each, which is $200 off EACH. We've had the washer for maybe a year with no problems... so ordered the dryer this morning. Unlike a lot of folks, we've not been hit with the 'GE...
  9. Kirk Constable

Rant of the day#2

I spent all day helping a buddy put snap/lock together fake tile laminate in his kitchen (Dupont 12x48 pieces). After working all night, and with my back already sore before we started. And of course, we had to cut everything outside in the 31-36 degree weather. Anyhoo, sometime in the middle...
  10. Kirk Constable

Rant of the day#1

Got home from work this morning and some lowlife had thrown a couple of eggs at the Escape. Pretty well all over the windshield and hood and down onto the lights and into the crevices of the trim/grille. It was probably 31 degrees this morning when I noticed it... and 36 degrees 10 minutes ago...
  11. Kirk Constable

Vehicle inspection sticker rant

Preface by mentioning that Texas isn't smart enough to tie vehicle inspection and registration into one process... Had the wife's Escape inspected the other day. The tech (dealer) put the windshield sticker on crooked. :mad: I know I can get carried away over little things, but I just...
  12. Kirk Constable

Official new Taurus review

I've had the new Taurus now since Dec 21, and have driven something around 1000 miles. I got the SEL with SYNC and 'leather trimmed' seats. Tuxedo black/charcoal leather. This is a 'love it' or 'hate it' car. The center console pretty well keeps you in place, and if you like to stretch...
  13. Kirk Constable

New penny design??

WHAT? The dollar bill isn't counterfeitted enough to warrant a redesign... but they actually spent money on SEVERAL new penny designs?? :doh: Will collectors buy enough of them to pay for the design/tooling costs?
  14. Kirk Constable

TimeWarner v FOX

I keep hearing that FOX wants $1 per subscriber... but I've never seen whether that's $1 per month or year or what, and what kind of increase that represents. Anybody know?
  15. Kirk Constable

2010 Taurus

My Fusion has been a fine car... but by golly, I want me some Taurus. I finally gave up and sat in one this morning. OMG. They have nailed that interior. Anybody got one that can provide a 5K mile report? I'd probably stay away from the SHO and Limited... most likely the SEL. :confused:
  16. Kirk Constable

Bath/bed/laundry remodel

This is what was originally the stand-alone garage to this old house... now the 'second addition'... joined to the main house by the 'first addition, a finished breezeway (which in itself was actually two additions... first just a closed in breezeway,then expanded into a big room). This is...
  17. Kirk Constable

PSA... Fall Mesquite Show

For anyone interested, this will serve as my annual reminder that the fall show put on by the Texas Mesquite Association is the weekend of 9-11 October, at the Marktplatz in lovely Fredericksburg, Texas. Show hours and info at the TMA website. Free parking, free admission, lots of mesquite...
  18. Kirk Constable

Pedestal or vanity for bath redo?

Redoing the 2nd bath in what may well end up a master 'suite'. Or it may just be the 2nd bath with a guest room attached... I have a 52" space for the sink... open to the left (with the door opening into the side of the sink space), shower wall to the right. My original thinking was to...
  19. Kirk Constable

Another delayed project

I know for a fact that I moved these cherry legs back from Las Vegas in 1992... but I can't remember if I'd already started on them when we went there in 1989. Regardless, I have moved them to the new shop, and whether they've been sitting around for 17 years or 20, I'm gonna build the table...
  20. Kirk Constable

Table critique (pics)

Comments/criticism solicited on this little 'lamp table'. This is probably the first thing I can remember making where Jean said flat out she didn't like it. Didn't like the top, didn't like the legs sticking up, didn't like the crossed pieces at the bottom. :eek: This is a prototype, and I'm...