Search results

1. Billy Burt

Tool handles

SWMBO got me some P&N gouges for Christmas and I needed some handles for them. I also got a Sorby 1" skew off Amazon that need a handle. The 1st pic is the skew handle is laminated oak flooring and I inserted a bent wood veneer lamination into the two outside lams after scroll sawing. It...
  2. Billy Burt

Angel Bell Christmas Ornament

The body and bell are all one piece of Ash Juniper. It's a little soft, but finishes nicely. The wings are red oak that I cut out on a scroll saw and used a wood burner for the feathers. The clangor is Mesquite. It's 3 1/2" across at the wings and 5" tall.
  3. Billy Burt

Not new, but kinda outta the game for a while

Had to take a break from the wood stuffs a few years back due to unexpected respiratory issues. Actually took a couple of years to get over it. It started after I cut down and cut up some spalted hickory and spalted Black Jack oak. Since then I installed and plumbed a proper dust collector...
  4. Billy Burt

Floating Shelf sanaity check, please

Hey, guys and gals, I've either been sick or busier than a cat covering up... well, you know. Anyway, I've been commissioned to build three floating shelves for a couple's kitchen. Apparently they are all the rage right now. These are to replace an open face cabinet that currently hangs on...
  5. Billy Burt

Live Oak with a twist

I have often looked at the amazing grain structure of much of the Live Oak I cook with and wondered, "Why don't I see anyone turning this beautiful wood?" Now I know. It is a BEAR! Especially if you are undercutting or hollowing. The blue strip around the lower middle is my own Micarta inlay...
  6. Billy Burt

Inside-out Ornament

Finished this one up this week. Walnut, Butternut with Red Oak finial and icicle. I didn't turn the inside deep enough so I put it in my V block and cut the holes with a Forstner bit. Then I finished turning it and sprayed it with Deft.
  7. Billy Burt

A few odds and ends

I've been practicing my tools skills since my much anticipated return to turning and came up with these. Two spalted Maple snowmen (one 5" and one 6.5"). And a 3" by 3" mesquite pen pot. Nothing special really, but I had fun.
  8. Billy Burt

Yippee!!!!!!!

Finally! I have an elctrician coming in the morning to run a drop for the Mustard! I've been seriously missing this beast! And I can't wait to get back to some serious turning!!! My Delta Midi is fine for pens, but with the PSI variable speed kit on it is way under powered for anything but...
  9. Billy Burt

Paying attention

to details seems to be important when turning hollow vessels. Especially details such as depth of cut. If you let your concentration lapse, you can cut too deep. This is the result. Now I have to find something contrasting to use as a pedestal base and finial. Hhmmm, I may have some DI that...
  10. Billy Burt

Question about Cherry

I've turned and worked a fair amount of Cherry. I was going through my stash of spindle stock to make a tool handle for a turning tool I got from Cap'n Eddie and found what appeared to be Cherry. Everything about the grain structure told me it was Cherry. However, when I started turning it, I...
  11. Billy Burt

Lidded box for my granddaughter

Finished this up this afternoon for her 12th birthday. The box and lid knob are figured Walnut and the lid is fiddleback Cherry. About 3.5" wide and just over 2" high.
  12. Billy Burt

Delta LA200 midi lathe

Ok, guys, the start capacitor on my Delta midi crapped the bed yesterday afternoon. Delta no longer makes the part, but I know I should be able to find a suitable replacement somewhere. The problem is, I don't know the specs and while I haven't had time to take it apart to check, every post I've...
  13. Billy Burt

Simple lidded box

I never throw wood away. EVER! So when I found an Oak headboard being thrown out, I cut it apart, and salvaged the pieces. One was a 4" wide stretcher. I wanted to make the neighbor girl a box for her birthday so I cut 5 4" squares from the stretcher. I glued up 3 for the box and 2 for the lid...
  14. Billy Burt

Lathe stand solutions... a work in progress

I saw on IAP where a guy bought a short Dewalt Mitersaw stand and m ounted his Delta midi to it. So I borrowed the idea and did likewise. The lathe mounts up perfectly! But I needed a way/place to store my lathe chisels. The wife bought me two cheap plastic tool racks a few years ago and one of...
  15. Billy Burt

Delta 10" midi lathe motor

I thought I'd pose this question to my fellow spinney folks. I have 2 older Delta midi lathes. One of them is fully functional and I use it regularly. The other has a bad motor. Delta has discontinued the replacement motors and I know that PSI makes a varialble speed replacement that will fit...
  16. Billy Burt

Jet 1236 w/29" extension, $425

Not mine. Found on craigslist in San Antonio. Comes with a 4 jaw chuck and tools. Not a bad deal, especially for someone thinking about upsizing.
  17. Billy Burt

Crazy stupid!

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I had to share it just in case. This is INSANE!
  18. Billy Burt

Hey, gang!

Pics you say, oh doubting Thomas? Actually, it's still more of an almost shop. But at least I can use my midi lathe, drill press and bandsaw. Well, that's as good as it gets for now.
  19. Billy Burt

Hey, gang!

I'm back from my long hiatus. It took me awhile to get off my hinder parts and get the garage into some semblance of a shop since moving back to Texas. Now, hopefully, I can get back to my therapy! So what have I missed? LOL!
  20. Billy Burt

Speaking of grandkids

Our 11th was born yesterday afternoon at 2:54. Her name is Alexianna Marie (we call her Lexi) and she was 8 lbs 10 ozs, 20.5" long (two weeks overdue). Mom and baby are doing just fine. Haven't seen her except via this quick phone photo since she is in NC, but we'll see her soon enough.