Search results

1. Frank Townend

Minor Gloat

Wow I just got a whole bunch of new tools. While some are a little bit old, many are new in the package. Why? Finally getting around to cleaning the shop and all sorts of things (I purchased some time in the past) are appearing out of the dust. Lucky me. :thumb:
  2. Frank Townend

Woodworkers Safety Week 2009

From "The Wood Whisperer" The week of May 4th marks the start of Woodworkers Safety Week 2009. Last year was a huge success and this year I am expecting even more involvement from the community at large. In addition to the bloggers we all know and love, we have the involvement of Popular...
  3. Frank Townend

Safety in the Good Old Days

4. Frank Townend

Milwaukee M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera

Well the price is where this may make sense for checking your 4000 grit sanding of the inside of a hollow form with a 3/16" opening. Amazon is selling the Milwaukee M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera for $105 with free Super Saver shipping. Amazon Link
  5. Frank Townend

Grizzly Handheld Pneumatic Sander

Just saw this over at Toolmonger: What do you do if you need to sand a curved project that’s too big to get to your oscillating spindle sander — an assembled piece of furniture, for instance? Most of us aren’t big fans of hand sanding, so this Grizzly Handheld Pneumatic Sander looks pretty...
  6. Frank Townend

Oh Baby! Grizzly H8145 Baby Table Saw

In building my woodturning accessories cabinet this past weekend I got to spend some time with my $99 Grizzly Baby Table Saw. I put a nice 8 1/2" freud thin kerf fine finish blade on it (it even has a nice "riving knife" behind the blade) and did all my cuts. In the future I plan on...
  7. Frank Townend

Is Frank Townend doing Flatwork? Turning Tool Cabinet

I've never been in this area of Family Woodworking so please be kind. Tired of tripping over my woodturning accessories, I decided to do something about them. Of course I have lots of respect for those of you who can buy flat sheets of lumber and make something out of them, so I said "hey I...
  8. Frank Townend

Term of Service

Can someone please provide a link to the terms of service (user rules) for me? I did search, but had no luck finding it. In particular I am interested in the guidelines for using religious references in posts. Thank you.
  9. Frank Townend

Article - Knowing The Limits Of Rust Preventives

GUN CLEANING CLINIC: Knowing The Limits Of Rust Preventives By: Steve Schmidt This may be of interest to the few of you who may have a tool or two in the shop.
  10. Frank Townend

Sears Clarifies Craftsman Tools Warranty

The following is a post from The Consumerist: Earlier this month, we noted how a reader was having trouble getting Sears to properly honor the lifetime warranty on his Craftsman tools. Now David Figler, a vice president of the company, has responded and said, "We stand behind the...
  11. Frank Townend

Just a little model train set for your enjoyment.

Little is the furthest from the truth. The Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany is a just about 12,000 square foot model train set with: • 800 trains. • Over 10,000 train cars in total, running several hundred kilometers every day. • One train is 47.5 feet long. • Over 170 computer...
  12. Frank Townend

Table-Saw Panel Lifter

Just got my latest Lee Valley Catalog and one item jumped out at me as an answer to those who, by "Doctor's Orders", have been told to take it a bit easy in the shop. Manipulating sheet stock onto a table saw is safest when you have a second pair of hands available. In their absence, this panel...
  13. Frank Townend

Composite Hold-Down

I found this on ToolMonger: Hold-downs can be very helpful in the shop, but did you ever stop to think what would happen if your router bit or table saw blade — or any other cutting tool designed for soft materials like wood — came into contact with a metal hold-down? At best you’d have a...
  14. Frank Townend

Determining the value of a project given as a donation.

Hopefully a simple question. I have been asked to donate a few bowls to a local charity and to determine their "value". Some factors specific to this situation: I am a 'new' turner, and while they will be 'nice' I don't consider myself an artist nor have I sold any bowls. The bowls (from...
  15. Frank Townend

Which shop tool do you use to cut pizza?

How about this one? Looking to startle house guests — or impress Toolmonger friends hanging out in the kitchen instead of the shop? If so, you’re likely the target market for the possibly-vaporware Pizza-Pro 3000. And before you ask: No, it’s not motorized. (Though we imagine a little time in...
  16. Frank Townend

Close Enough? Woodworking isn't Engineering?

I went to one of the 'better' lumber suppliers in my area this afternoon to get a 1 3/4" dowel as part of my pepper mill project. The 'boss' of the outfit said he'd turn one for me on a duplicating lathe; $20 for 3' of Red Oak. Twenty bucks is a bit much (to say the least) for 3' of dowel, but...
  17. Frank Townend

An Ax To Grind

This guide published by the USDA Forest Service is an incredible resource for everything ax-related, from beginner to advanced (and it's free!). Filled with succinct and wise passages, clear photos and helpful diagrams, the book explains the in's and out's of felling, limbing, splitting...
  18. Frank Townend

Maple Emerging Bowl

A 7" Maple Bowl, finished with the Beall Buffing System. This is the first bowl I turned using a glued-in-place waste block. I used wood glue and a piece of paper bag. It snapped off nicely and only required minor clean up. Sorry about that a 'bit out of focus' side view.
  19. Frank Townend

Bowling Pin Woodworker's Mallet

Based on an idea from Larry Marley's Web Site I decided to see if I could turn a Carver's/Woodworker's Mallet from a Bowling Pin. I bought a couple of Bowling Pins from eBay, but was told later you may get them free from a local alley. I started out by driving a dowel into the bottom hole...
  20. Frank Townend

Wood Moisture Meters

Lots of years of experience on this forum so I thought I'd toss out a question about the merits of different Wood Moisture Meters. My criteria: "Good enough" - I am not in a woodworking business so my bottom-line isn't affected by a less than .00000001% accurate reading. Pin/Contact Type - It...