Search results

1. Dan Mosley

Making Some Lathe Tools Out of Necessity

I can remember when I first got my lathe I had spent all I had to get my Jet 1642 with 2hp - I did not have much money after that and with buying some lathe tools to buy much of anything else - So I made my own and I recently put together a video on You Tube to show others how to make tool rests...
  2. Dan Mosley

Davis and Wells Bandsaw and Morgan/Chicago Vise Restoration

I am always looking around for old iron projects and then restore them. I thought I would post 2 video links here so that if anyone is interested they can watch as I talk thru how I restored these old iron items. One is a Davis and Wells Bandsaw and the other is a Morgan/Chicago vise. Let me...
  3. Dan Mosley

Project - Build a lathe

I was sitting around one morning and came across the website of Dale Winburn (Winburn.com) and looked closely at how he fabricated a bowl lathe. I found it to be interesting thing to play around with the possibilty of making one and thought i would be a fun project. I have written to him to ask...
  4. Dan Mosley

Monster Hollowing System Upgraded Adapter

I have had my Monster hollowing system for many years now and it has worked well for me - I have enjoyed hollowing with this system but ran into some trouble when I started using a 3/4 snake bar - Originally I had a adapter that would fit into the front block of the system that would accept the...
  5. Dan Mosley

Sealing of Wood - Experiment

Well I can't help myself from constantly experimenting and trying new ideas and techniques. So I decided to embark awhile back on figuring out a way to control the drying process of green rough and/or final turned pc's. Background - yep...... there is dishsoap soaking - wood...
  6. Dan Mosley

Finishing The Foot on Smaller Vessels Question

See Pic below - the bar and cone setup is what i use to turn down the bottom of vessels I make. I will turn the foot down a little concave to a small dowel - then hack saw it off - take it to my Master Carver (like a Dremel) grind down the dowel stub flat - change over to a 120grit flap wheel on...
  7. Dan Mosley

Modifying Your Lathe V. Buying V. Fabricating

The question poped up on me the other day when I was talking with a friend at work about lathe capacities. In particular he was wondering if he bought a older lathe with say 14-16"swiing capacity if it could be modified to accept larger diameter wood to turn - making larger vessels and bowls etc...
  8. Dan Mosley

Tool Rest - Just Make Them

A long time back I think I posted a thread on making your own tool rests but im not sure if it is still around. So I thought I would repost some pictures of tool rests I have made in the past. I will grant you that they are not pretty but they were certainly cheap to make from scrap steel and...
  9. Dan Mosley

Spray Finish on Turnings

I decided to start another thread regarding spray guns/devices after some of the comments on my previous thread regarding Deft Acrylic being junk. So the reason I like the Deft spray cans of Lacquer are because I do not have to mix or clean anything up for 1 or 2 turnings - I am not doing alot...
  10. Dan Mosley

Acrylic spray finish on turnings

Well its been awhile since i posted anything so I thought I would post a opnion on what I think of Deft Acrylic Spray finish. I would not have even tried it but when I ran out of Deft Spray Laquer and went to both big boxes I found out that it will no longer be offered for sale in the county...
  11. Dan Mosley

Large Flat Buck Eye Burl finish Question

I have had this large pc of buck eye i got along time back sitting in the garage and decided to start doing something with it. My thought it to put a metal strap on the back and create a hanger for it so it can be hung up on a wall. The problem I have with it that I do not like it that it has...
  12. Dan Mosley

Quick Help on Electrical Cord Connection if Possible........

I have a new Mig welder comming in tomm and needed to make an extension cord/adapter in order to use it for 220 - Im not a electrician - a friend gave me a extension cord with a plug on it that i Need and the other end is just bare wire - I want to make sure i connect it correctly so I thought I...
  13. Dan Mosley

Day off and cutting up some old growth and playing around - Boxes up for sale again

Well I had the day off and nothing in particular to do so I went downtown to have early morning coffee - See Pic #1 Back to the home shop and deciided to clean up and cut up some old growth I have had for along time - The wind was bad so it was a good time to play in the shop - I...
  14. Dan Mosley

Pen Turning Slimlines to Cigar styles - Arbor Press Deal

Decided a while back to play around making pens for a bit - after making a fair amount of them I went over to the Slimline Saturn then to the Slimline Pro and on to the Mesa (Cigar type). I have a friend that asked me "my opinion" on what I think of the kits I have used so far so I thought I...
  15. Dan Mosley

Sanding station question

Regarding the craftsman sanding station I cleaned up and got running - I ordered the belt that showed it was a 6 x48 inch - I tore it trying to slip it on - the guide rollers were all the way in and it was very tight and all of a sudden ripped in two - Wondering if I was doing something wrong or...
  16. Dan Mosley

Pen Turning Vendors Question and Finishing Pens

Taking off from a comment from the other thread - I have bought from Woodturningz but like I had said I have not been to impressed by the ink cartridges that come with the slim lines etc -. I called the other day to ask about other kits for the future and the rep at Woodturningz said that alot...
  17. Dan Mosley

Craftsman Disc Belt Sanding Station Story

So I have been playing around making Pens - I watched a video where the turner squares up his blanks with a sanding disc instead of a barrel trimmer (which is what I use) - I found a older Craftsman sanding station for sale (see Pic below) - brought it home and started the de-rusting and...
  18. Dan Mosley

Large wooden table top finish question ?

At work there is a large wood table top in the break room - the table was made with multiple kinds of wood cut and laminated together in a star pattern - the finish that was there is totally worn off - They asked me if I would be willing to refinish it - I have not decided on the project yet -...
  19. Dan Mosley

Experiment with Vertical Pouring for Pen Tubes

I decided to experiment around with some vertical tube pouring this evening - Before I had used PVC 3/4' tubing which works perfectly fine but I did not like the idea of not being able to see the colors in the tube or being able to make swirls in the resin and be able to see it. So, I hunted...
  20. Dan Mosley

Red Cedar - Orange Osage - and a thank you to Paul Gallian

I received a a box today from Paul Gallian and I want to thank him for the pen blanks and kits he sent - I had the day off and the postman came early so it was a very nice suprise - So, I turned several of both Cedar and Osage and sanded thru 2000 - 5-6 coats CA - Shellawax and lightly buff on...