Search results

1. W

Help build my shop

This is really premature as we don’t even own an acreage yet, see this post for details on the land. My wife and I made an offer on some land last night and we were discussing our plan for the property. Ultimately we’ll be building a home on the land but that’s 8-10 years out due to our kid’s...
  2. W

Purchasing an acreage?

My wife and I have found an acreage which is right outside the city limits. We’ve always thought about this but just never found the right place. We love the location and the land, but won’t be ready to build for at least another 5 years. Our kids are currently 4, 2, and 1 so living on an...
  3. W

FYI: August 9 Auction in Columbus, OH

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this upcoming auction in western Columbus. I believe Jeff Kerr (auctioneer) is a member here as well. I have no affiliation but will try to attend. Go to www.auctionzip.com for pictures of quite a few items. PUBLIC AUCTION TOOLS, ANTIQUES &...
  4. W

3/4" and 1-1/4" Melamine near Columbus, OH

I have four sheets of ¾” and three sheets of 1-1/4” melamine that I’d like to get out of my garage. I have two grey, one cream, and one white of the thinner stuff. All of the thick sheets are white. Shoot me an email if you are interested in any of this. I’d even be willing to split some of...
  5. W

Sold: Freud RS2000 Rail And Stile Shaper Cutter Set, $300 - Columbus, OH

I have this set available that I bought at an auction and just don't need it for a home shop. I'd like to get a dedicated set with just one profile. It looks like only one profile has been used and that's pretty minimal. All the parts are there and in good condition. Let me know if you want...
  6. W

Building cabinets with MDF core plywood

Sorry for the long post but I feel I needed to explain my reasoning for using the MDF prior to asking my question. A couple of years ago I was at an auction for a cabinet shop. At the end the auctioneer asked for a $5 bid on a 6' tall stack of hardwood plywood. Thinking I couldn't let it go for...
  7. W

Carter quick release bandsaw tensioner?

My wife bought me the Carter bandsaw quick release tensioner, high tension spring, and dust brush for Christmas. My question is, I remember someone saying the high tension spring shouldn’t be used with the quick release. Can anyone here tell me I’ll be alright installing both of these on my...
  8. W

Show me your screw organizers

I've been putting my shop together for the last year and finally have dust collection setup so I can start cutting wood. The first projects need to be for storage and I'd like to start with screw storage. I have approximately 100 plastic Akro bins which I want to build a hanging cabinet. My...
  9. W

Decking dilemma

I've got a good dilemma. We are replacing our cracked and splintered treated decking boards with Trex. I ordered 19-12' and 19-16' to cover the deck below. Home Depot screwed up the order and delivered 19-16' and 19-20'. I've talked it over with my wife and we are thinking of adding on to...
  10. W

FS: 7116 Omnijig in central Ohio - $150

As the title says I have this jig for sale and would prefer to sell it locally. I'm going to try to upload multiple pictures but if I fail just send me your email address and I'll send them to you. The first picture is the overall view. There's no corrosion anywhere on the jig. The next set of...
  11. W

Compressor cart ideas

I’m looking to get my shop more organized and have been thinking about a rolling cart which would hold my compressor, nail guns, hoses, and extra nails. I’d love to hear any suggestions from those that have built such a cart or thought about it. My thoughts are that it must hold the compressor...
  12. W

Dust collection hoods for equipment

I am hoping those that have central dust collectors can help determine the best way to hook my newly installed 6" duct work to each tool. My plan is to use a 1-2' piece of flex between the ridgid duct work and the tool but I'm having trouble deciding how to hook the 6" flex hose to the tools...
  13. W

Another picket fence question

I’m just full of questions lately. I have a question about the layout of a concave top picket fence I’m starting next week. I’m having the posts installed by a contractor and then I’m putting up the horizontal rails and pickets. I’d like for the layout to look like this but I’m wondering how...
  14. W

Auction in central Ohio on August 11th

Just wanted to give anyone in the Columbus, OH area a heads up about an auction this weekend. I plan on going, just out of curiousity. http://www.westlakeauctions.com/westlake%20auction%20welch.pdf If anyone from here will be there let me know. Wes Billups
  15. W

Questions on using 6" PVC for dust collection

I have a few questions regarding 6” PVC. I purchased all of the ASTM D-2729 6” PVC I need to connect my tools to the cyclone and have a few questions as I’ve never used 6” PVC for dust collection. 1. I need to buy some 6” flex hose for the short distance between the PVC and tool. How well...
  16. W

Painted project question. How?

This may seem like a dumb question but I have never built a painted piece of furniture and am getting ready to do just that. It will be a changing dresser for our next child. This will be more a utilitarian project than fine woodworking but I'm looking for suggestions on finishing. I'll be...
  17. W

Attaching cedar pickets to rails?

I hope this is in the correct forum. If not please feel free to move. I'm getting ready to build a 42" high cedar picket fence to try to keep my kids corralled in our yard. I have a 1/4" pneumatic stapler and was wondering if 1-1/2" long staples would be sufficient to hold the pickets in...
  18. W

New Yankee Workshop new episodes?

I was just wondering if anyone has heard what the 2008 NYW episodes are going to be. Their webcam is running and it looks like Norm is going to spend all season building kitchen cabinets. Thanks, Wes
  19. W

Bessey's and Milwaukee Router in Columbus, OH

Just thought I'd post this as I was in Anderson's on Sunday and they have 40" Bessey K-bodies for $24.99. They also have the 1-3/4hp body grip Milwaukee router for $99. I didn't buy either due to my wife being with me. I'm also not sure were else Anderson's has stores but I thought both of...
  20. W

Plunge router recommendation need

I’m getting everything put together to plumb my shop with 6” PVC dust collection pipe and realize I really need a plunge router. I have some MDF donuts to make for joining the blower to the cyclone. I also plan on making my own blast gates out of MDF and Masonite. Good dust collection on the...