Search results

1. Julio Navarro

Glue clean up question

Its been a while since I've been here. Got lots to catch up on and lots of great news to impart. But first; I have a question about glue clean up. I recently acquired a panel glue up frame and clamps. I will post pictures tomorrow. Suffice it to say that it is great for gluing up panels but it...
  2. Julio Navarro

An amazing machine

I was able to talk the owner of the lumber mill to buy three door patterns. He made one of the knives the other day and ran me about 100 feet of sapele, maple, oak and cheery. Here is the sapele door all glued up and prettied. I used a lose tenon to join the miters.
  3. Julio Navarro

trimming laminate

I've been doing alot of laminate work these past few weeks and I have found that cleaning the bearing with DW40 helps a great deal. The adhesive tends to gunk all over the bearing and the bit. If you use DW40 on the bearing it helps to not pick up the adhesive that remains on the overhang...
  4. Julio Navarro

An amazing machine

I recently took on a part time job at a lumber mill where I get my wood. I am learning to run a Weinig moulder. The machine has six 25hp motors. it can take a 6/4 10" wide oak board and spit out a 9 inch crown at the other end at about 56 feet per minute. I ran about 1300 linear feet of...
  5. Julio Navarro

Porter Cable Table Saw

That PC saw is just a re-brand of the Hitachi table saw I have. It's actually not a terribly bad saw but not as good as the Ridgid you guys are talking about. I still have that Hitachi. I use it as a dedicated dado blade. Its still working.
  6. Julio Navarro

Spray adhesive?

How do you guys apply veneer and laminate adhesive? What kind do you prefer?
  7. Julio Navarro

Frameless construction question

I have a kitchen cabinet project coming up that calls for frameless cabinets. What is the best joining method; pocket hole screws, biscuits, or dowel or a combination of both?
  8. Julio Navarro

Stile and rail panel door question

I am trying to determine the width of the stile and rail frame pieces of a cab door. I usually make them about 2-1/2" but the client has shown me pictures of doors that seem to be smaller than 2-1/2" What is a typical width for the frames of a door?
  9. Julio Navarro

My humble shop

Just wanted to show you guys a set of wall cabinets I made for a showroom. Its cherry. I stained it with minwax red oak and finished it with a semi gloss M. L. Campbell pre-catalized lacquer. It made the beautiful grain pop out. I would normally not stain cherry just let the natural color...
  10. Julio Navarro

My humble shop

Well, I've been renting some space for my shop for about 6 months now and my cabinet and cabinet refacing business has taken off the ground, slowly but surely. I have three kitchens under my belt, a couple of vanities and some small furniture pieces. The name of my business is Forest Heart...
  11. Julio Navarro

Planing technique

Ive been planing about 80 BF of maple for some cabinet doors. That's a lot of time to think about world affairs, social issues, and just plain humming (it's amazing how good you sound with ear protection on). But I wanted to get some feed back from everyone about your technique for planing...
  12. Julio Navarro

recent trip to DC

I took my son and daughter to DC so they could see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (I think every American should make that pilgrimage at least once in their life). Here are some pictures you guys might enjoy on this Thanksgiving day. A forever vigil. My daughter at the Capitol My son and...
  13. Julio Navarro

Laquer finish with glazing

I just got a job renovating a kitchen. I am replacing all the doors with new maple raised panel stile and rail doors with a lacquer finish in canvas (color) with a "coconut" glazing (I used a Min wax cherry gel stain). I was very pleased with the results being that it was my first time...
  14. Julio Navarro

Sand flee recommendations?

Does anyone have or have used the Sandflee sanding table? Thanks.
  15. Julio Navarro

I learned something today

I was doing some cutting on my TS when I realized I was having problems getting an accurate cut. I used my tape measure to measure the distance between the fence and the blade then make the cut but when I measured the piece the dimension was off by about a 32nd or so. Frustrated, I repeated...
  16. Julio Navarro

Maple headboard

Here is a side by side comparison of the raised panels; one is the test piece without the sanding sealer, the other is the actual piece with sealer. The difference is very apparent. Here are the three raised panels for the head board. They have two coats of Min wax colonial maple. I started...
  17. Julio Navarro

Maple headboard

Well, I am almost ready to stain and assemble this maple headboard. I decided to build this headboard for a friend's daughter who my son likes very much. Her mom and I are in the process of arraigning their marriage, not their wedding but their marriage (they are only 13 right now). We are...
  18. Julio Navarro

maple end grain staining

I have some maple raised panels that the end grain stains very much darker than the rest of the board. I imagine I need to use a sanding sealer on the end grain before staining. Will this ensure that the end grain will stain similar to the rest of the board or do I need to do something else+...
  19. Julio Navarro

mixing polyurethan with stain/color?

I have soft maple cabinet doors that I only want to polyurethane no stain but I want to add a slight reddish or pink tint. I plan on spraying the poly finish. Poly alone gives the maple a yellowish tint. Can polyurethane be tinted? Is lacquer better than poly? Can Lacquer be tinted? The...
  20. Julio Navarro

Deciding on a drum sander

I am deciding whether or not to buy the Grizzly 10" drum sander (G0716) for my small shop. Factors involved in choosing this model is most and foremost the price. I cannot, at this moment, afford anything higher than this machine and this machine seems to be the least expensive in the market...