Search results

1. G

Wood Sculptures

I guess I can't post a link. I'll try to figure out how to do this. Gary
  2. G

Kinetic Wood Sculptures

Must be seen to be believed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehXioMIKg0&feature=player_embedded Gary Curtis:)
  3. G

Literature on Making a Story Stick

Where can I learn how to make one of these suckers? My need is especially important because I am so totally awful at drawing anything. When I sketch plans for - say - workbenches with drawers along the walls of my shop, I can't even progress to the stage of creating a cutlist. The books I have...
  4. G

Phenolic of UHMW in Thin Sheets?

Who sells Phenolic or UHMW? To be used to laminate 1" Baltic Birch ply for my router table top. Gary Curtis
  5. G

Cut Optimization Program for Macintosh Computers

About 2 months ago I bought a copy of CabinetPro and have been thrilled. It comes from Australia, costs $58, and does everything CutList Pro does on Windows computers. And I didn't have to waste much time in learning it. (I have no connection to this company) LINK here...
  6. G

Depth When Cutting a Mortise with Router

I just bought a whole range of Floating Tennons from Festool. Hardwood. They are part of Festool's Domino system. I'll be using my own router to cut the Mortise slots. I know from reading that the mortise should be fairly tight for the sake of strength. I've been told that to prevent 'hydraulic...
  7. G

Grizzly 1182 Jointer ??

Any knowledge of this product? I'm in line to buy one in 'barely used' condition. Gary Curtis Northern California:D
  8. G

Running a DC and Machinery on Same Circuit??

I have a 1.5hp dust collector that can be run either 110v or 220. I just bought a planer and a joiner and want to run either one at the same time as the DC. Because my 110 circuit has a 20-amp breaker, whereas my 220 circuit has a 30-amp, should I rewire the DC for 220? The jointer is a 110v...
  9. G

Opinions on RBI 12.5" Planer for sale

I have the chance to buy a RBI 12.5" Planer. I've never seen nor heard of this manufacturer, so I'm asking your opinions. The thing is almost brand new, used by a WW hobbyist, and has a 2hp 220v Baldor Motor. The motor alone is worth what the guy is asking ($400). I was a little worried about...
  10. G

Online Source for Metric Machine Screw

I've looked at Grainger and McMaster-Carr and Bolt Depot and Fastenal. Nobody has M8 Machine Screws with the allen and countersunk head. If our leaders are grooming us for a 'metric makeover', they had better get cracking! Who sells these in small quantities? Gary Curtis:)
  11. G

How Hard is Hard

I was just ordering some bits from CMT and noticed on the flyleaf of their big product catalog that the Carbide they use has a Rockwell hardness of 92. No wonder carbide tools don't sharpen easily. Gary Curtis
  12. G

Source for Jig Clamp

Did anyone read the latest issue of FWWing magazine? The issue with the gorgeous boxes on the cover. On page 74 is shown Michael Fortune's Mortising Jig. What would be a source for the interesting hold-down clamps shown there? It isn't Rockler, 'cause I checked. Gary Curtis
  13. G

Ratings of Forstner Bits

My close friend owns a cabinet shop and builds for customers with a lot of money. He told me that the best drill bits were ones sold by Lee Valley. I'm getting ready to buy a set of Forstner bits ranging from 1/4" to 3". It was puzzling to read the latest issue of FWW magazine. Their test of...
  14. G

Sizing Shelf Pins

I foresee boring a lot of shelf pin holes next year, and thought using a plunge router rather than drilling, would be the ticket. What size do you bore for shelf pins. Lee Valley sells 5mm pins, 5.5 mm sleeves, 1/4" paddles with 5/16" sleeves. Are the sleeves for softwood? Gary Curtis
  15. G

Source for Aluminum Compressor Tank

My 19 year-old air compressor looks like a mess. The tank paint is almost completely peeled. And when I drain it, the water that comes out contains a lot of rust. I would like to replace it with a 30 gallon aluminum tank. Does anyone know of a good source that wouldn't break the bank? Gary...
  16. G

RBI Planer --- Any good?

I have a chance to get a nearly new 12" RBI planer. It has a 3hp, 220v Baldor motor. That's great. But what about the machine overall? I'm not too excited about the 12" capacity. I posted earlier under the title HCI Planer. The correct manufacturer is RCI. It looks pretty industrial-strength to...
  17. G

HCI Planer ... Anyone Familiar with the Brand???

I have a chance to buy a nearly new HCI planer. The good is that the machine is virtually new. It also has a 3hp, 220 v motor. A chain drives four Acme thread posts for adjust height. It looks pretty industrial strength. I'm just not sexually excited about buying a 12" machine. I was previously...
  18. G

Panel Thickness on Cab Doors

I just bought 3 sets of Rail & Stile router sets. How thick are panel doors generally? Naturally, a raised panel will be thicker and then flare down to the edge. So how thick is that edge that is mortised all the way around? Gary Curtis
  19. G

HVLP Spray Gun Recommendations

I want to get a conversion gun to run on my 4hp air compressor. I've had a lot of experience, including doing lacquer jobs on late 1930s car restorations. Before I got serious about woodworking, I would use my Binks 'door jamb' spray gun and was moderately pleased with the results. What is the...
  20. G

Choice of Coping Sled for Router?

I want to start cutting Cope & Stick joints for small cabinet doors on my router table. My training for this was on a shaper table. But I want to use the router table I have. Who makes a good coping sled? What would you suggest as a minimum for router horsepower? (these will be cabinet doors)...