Search results

1. Robert McGowen

Lathe, bandsaw, table saw, dust collector, miter saw

An acquaintance of mine, Richard Madison, passed away last week. His wife contacted me to help sell some of his tools. I did not know Richard very well, but I am just trying to help the wife out. I went to Richard's shop and personally looked at the tools, so if you have any questions send me a...
  2. Robert McGowen

Black Poisonwood

This is the first time to use this kind of wood. It is Chechen from Mexico and South America. It is also known as Black Poisonwood, due to the nature of the sap, which will burn your skin. I got it as a 2"x4" in a large purchase of wood from an individual going out of business. It was a dull...
  3. Robert McGowen

Leopardwood potpourri bowl

6.5" wide and 4.5" tall. 60 pieces of leopardwood and 1 piece of curly maple floating between rings for the bottom. Finished with 3 coats of Antique Oil and still waiting to be buffed. Critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.
  4. Robert McGowen

potpourri bowls

Two segmented potpourri bowls. They are both 61 pieces of wood. One is curly maple and walnut and the other one is purpleheart. The maple has 2 coats of antique oil and just needs to be buffed, while the purpleheart does not have any finish on it. I am waiting a few days for it to turn back...
  5. Robert McGowen

Segmented Birthday Vase

All of the vases that I make keep leaving the house and the LOML is not always happy about them finding new homes. So...... I made her one for her birthday. I finally have enough confidence to chop up a $20 a foot piece of wood into 1" pieces, so here is 296 pieces of bocote and hard maple. The...
  6. Robert McGowen

Segmented Vase

Hi, I just finished this one today. 11" tall and 7" wide. 385 pieces of purpleheart and yellowheart. Finished with Waterlox Original. Please let me know the positives, but especially any negatives in the shape. I am designing these myself on the computer and sometimes they come out the way...
  7. Robert McGowen

Segmented Vase

I have seen a few segmented pieces lately, so I thought that I would add one that I finished yesterday. I designed it from scratch with "Segmented Project Planner" (no affiliation with company) While kind of challenging with the 3/8" rings, I learned numerous things to add to the mental...
  8. Robert McGowen

Several bowls in progress........

I guess this would be the first step? :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: Someone on Craig's List offered this Texas mesquite tree to any "craftsman" that wanted it for something more than firewood. I guess that was me! :D Just for reference, the chainsaw is an 18" model.
  9. Robert McGowen

Lyptus cutting board

Vaughn got on to me for making a vase from a cutting board last week. So I used the lathe to make a cutting board this week! :thumb: Most of you f--- work guys know that Lyptus is a managed hardwood tree that is super fast growing. I have used it several times for cutting boards, as the...
  10. Robert McGowen

Segmented vase

This is a segmented vase that I did a while back that had an accident. The LOML knocked it off of a table and chipped the base and put a small knick in the side. I figured out a way to re-turn the bottom by cutting a piece of wood down to a taper, inserting it into the mouth of the vase and...
  11. Robert McGowen

Segmented vase

This is a vase I designed based on a rather large vase that I liked the form of. The vase turned out to be 16" tall, which is about the max of my Jet 1220 when you get the tail stock, face plate, etc., on the lathe that I needed to turn this. I would appreciate any concerns on shape or design...
  12. Robert McGowen

Segmented vase

Malcom Tibbetts was kind enough to get me pointed in the right direction and this is what I ended up with. 60 pieces of walnut and maple that are 7" high and 6" at the widest point. Danish oil finish, to be buffed in a couple of days. All 4 photos are of the same piece from different view...