Search results

1. Steve Southwood

Dust Collector remote

Here's a new option for controlling anything 12 amps or less.
  2. Steve Southwood

Cut the Superbowl cord? How to watch

How are all the cord cutters watching the Superbowl? Give me some options that have worked for you in the past. I don't mind paying a little to watch, if I have too.
  3. Steve Southwood

I'm a Grandpa

Sometime around 4:15 yesterday afternoon. Baby girl, Aria. Don't know much else, only gotten a few pictures so far. Can't go due to Covid restrictions. First grandchild, so pretty pumped.
  4. Steve Southwood

Sort of like Woodworking

5. Steve Southwood

FREE Lost Art Press book

LAP has made the 3rd book in the Anarchist series a free download. This one is on workbenches, I am pretty far into it already and it's a good book, as always. It also has some personal Schwarz history that I wasn't expecting. Give it a shot, I think it's worth the time to give it a look.
  6. Steve Southwood

Wall Cabinet

So I made a thing, a Handtool School Wall cabinet thing. This is one of the class projects in The Handtool School. Started Jan 1 and completed it a few days ago. I made just the middle section, as I am getting used to working out of the traveling tool chest on its raised base. This will be...
  7. Steve Southwood

I had high hopes

8. Steve Southwood

Nesting Crosses

Last Saturday my oldest daughter got married. She ask me to build a set of Nesting Crosses for the occasion. They take the place of the Unity candles from back when the wife and I got married. Nesting Crosses I used Butternut for the outside cross, the backer board was 1/4" ply covered with...
  9. Steve Southwood

New software alert?

I have noticed that the new software gives me an alert, either when there are new posts or I have notifications. Haven't figured out which is doing it yet. What it does in my bookmarks, it puts a small red dot next to the FWW logo. Pretty neat
  10. Steve Southwood

Shaker Candle Stand

Finished up this Shaker Candle Stand that I made in a class at LAP back in early October. Class was taught by Will Myers and is build to match templates he took from one of the originals. It was a fun class to say the least. The finish I used was OSMO Polyx-Oil if you haven't tried this stuff...
  11. Steve Southwood

Lost Art Press Class #4

Just got home from my 4th class at LAP. In 2 days we built the Shaker Candle stand, that Will Myers has a video of. All the pieces were at a sized to rough shape, when we arrived. Legs are sliding dovetailed in place. The class was basically 2 days to spokeshave work. Before anyone says they...
  12. Steve Southwood

Moravian Workbench Build

This is going to be a long build; my job requires most of my time. This will not be a total hand tool build. I like to think of it as multi-craft, using both powered and hand tools. No, I am not a fan of the term Hybrid Woodworking. Using either form of the tools is a craft. The power tools are...
  13. Steve Southwood

Cabinetmaker Sector class at Lost Arts Press

This past weekend I attended the Cabinetmaker Sector class at LAP and it was an outstanding class. Class was taught by Brendan Gaffney, who had originally built these for sale. Chris Schwarz attended the first day as shop assistant, he was also work on some ATC commissions. Megan Fitzpatrick...
  14. Steve Southwood

2017 4-H project

Going to do a journal of sorts for Gator's 4-H project. She chose to build Kevin Rodel's Limbert inspired coffee table, from Fine Woodworking magazine. First off was board selection. I picked up 65 bd ft of QSWO from the local dealer. She picked out what she thought was the best match...
  15. Steve Southwood

Darken Brass

OK gang, how to I get a deep dark finish on new brass? How do I age it?
  16. Steve Southwood

Larry's Lacquer

OK seeing as the great traveler is still out and about, what lacquer does Larry use. He told me the name but old age has taken it's toll. All I got is Sherwin Williams.
  17. Steve Southwood

What's in the box?

Any guesses as to what is in the box? Didn't make it to WIA and was planning on going. Took the coin I had set back and bought this.
  18. Steve Southwood

New Toys

Got a few new pieces for the collection. Stanley 100 & 100 1/2. Pretty small and will probably never see use.
  19. Steve Southwood

Mama's new ride

Rob's truck post got me to remembering, I never posted about the brides ride. Picked this up in January. 2013 Equinox LTZ, V6 FWD. Didn't mean to buy it when we did but it had only 6500 miles and got a pretty good deal, I think. Got more options than we know what to do with.
  20. Steve Southwood

Done with spring storms!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am giving up on spring storms. I won't have anything else to do with them. Just look at the damage they havedone Rant mode off