Search results

1. M

WTB 12v DeWalt Cordless Drill Motor

I was given a 12v. DeWalt battery a DW-9072, and charger a DW-9116. These things are useless to me unless I can find a drill motor such as the DC-727KA or, something else that operates at 12v. If someone has a DeWalt drill motor, preferably without battery and charger, (or maybe with?) that...
  2. M

Another veneer question

I've successfully applied the veneer to the table tops of my project. After some reading, is it really necessary to apply the veneer to the back side of the substraight as well? I'm using 1/2" birch ply as a substraight. I would have thought that this material is pretty stable, and does not need...
  3. M

Veneering without a vacume press?

I'm adding veneer to the top of two small tables. The Wood Magazine I'm using describes using a vacume press and a bag. Can I use heavy 1" MDF layers and bricks or something else? Or do I need to spring for the pump, bag, etc. and learn the vacume method? Any ideas? Thanks, Mike
  4. M

Polyurethane over Cocobolo ?

I made a table top from Birdseye Maple and used Cocobolo for "breadboard" style ends. After applying Danish Oil, I wanted to add several coats of wipe on polyurethane. Before putting the polyurethane on the cocobolo, I wiped it with minerial spirits to try to reduce some of the natural oil from...
  5. M

photo test

testing photo size.ooops This is getting frustrating. I've uploaded several pics before. Always standard email resolution of 640X480 But today I'm cursed. :( I kept changing the resolution from a standard 640X480, down lower and lower. Everytime I tried to upload I kept getting size errors.
  6. M

Another Cherry Finishing Question

I've made the Tilt Top Table from a Norm project, in Cherry. I don't plan to dye or stain it, letting it age naturally. But I'm curious about a couple of things. I know Cherry has a tendancy to show blotches. Since I'm not using any dyes or stains, I want to make sure I avoid these. To get the...
  7. M

Disk Sanders, (moved from Woodturning)

Robert, Vaughn; Thanks for the suggestion. I now have "tool-gotta-have-itis." :D A 12" disk certainly seems a more suited to a lot of tasks than a smaller disk. In my shopping, I see that Jet makes a combo 12" disk/6" belt unit with a little bigger motor, on a stand. Robert and Vaughn...
  8. M

Looking - Disk Sanders for Segmented Turning

I've been admiring segmented pens and small bowls for quit some time. I just received a book on segmented turning. Apparently, one can't go very far unless the parts are extremly accurate. So... I'm shopping for a combo belt-disk sander. I found a "new" (they claim) Jet 6" belt / 9" disk on...
  9. M

Anyone have a PC-890 Router, check this out

I must be living in a cave. Maybe everyone heard about this recall already. If so, like I said, I'm in a cave. I have a low serial number 890 router. Apparently, there has been a problem with the motor. Although I registered the router on the PC web site, I received no notice of the problem...
  10. M

You Know You're a Woodworker When...

I know this kind of thread has been started many times. But I thought this was a humorus. Everyone who adds is usually funny. I need a laugh today. I had to put the cookie bag back on top of the fridge. You know the kind that never stays closed when you roll the top. Not having a bag clip I...
  11. M

Small Shop (g-a-r-a-g-e) Tour 1of2

I thought I'd submit a couple pics of my half garage shop. Not as small as some I've seen, but eventually able to accomplish the task. Everything except the workbench and lathe are on wheels. l'll try to comment from left to right. First; is the space to right after entering from the house...
  12. M

testing upload

Testing upload phot sizes
  13. M

I'll Introduce Myself

I just joined this forum a few days ago. I like the name of this forum and the Welcome Message I received from Vaughan McMillan. After reading through dozens of posts and recognizing many contributors, it felt like walking into the local hardware store where I grew up. Outside the store, along...