Search results

1. Curt Fuller

Hey Vaughn McMillan and..........

Hey Vaughn and any of you other So Californians, is the "Carmaggeddon" closing of the 405 as bad as they're making it out to be? I have family heading to Disneyland and they're wondering.
  2. Curt Fuller

Russian Olive HF

This Russian Olive blank was cracked really bad. But I love the wood so I decided to try and save it by filling the cracks. I used black epoxy mixed with copper shavings on the big cracks, just epoxy on the smaller ones. The blank had a big divot in the top so I just started hollowing and let...
  3. Curt Fuller

NE Walnut winged dish

This is turned from a piece of old weathered walnut firewood. Lots of cracks but pretty solid in the bowl part. It's about 10" across at the widest, 3/8" thick in the wings. Finished with AO and the waxed with briwax.
  4. Curt Fuller

Shattered, Shattered, Shadoobie

This hollowform ain't nothing to write home about but I thought the wood was kind of cool. It's English Walnut from a small crotch with three piths spaced almost perfectly around it. English Walnut has a lot of of sapwood so you have to get a pretty good sized piece to get into much of the dark...
  5. Curt Fuller

A little of everything

I probably got a little carried away with trying to incorporate too many things into one piece here. But I was experimenting with a few things, an end grain winged form, some off center eccentric turning, and a natural bark edged pedestal base. So this is a natural bark edged lidded winged...
  6. Curt Fuller

Birdhouses and Poetry

I've been making some goofy birdhouses on tall pedestals. Today I posted one on another forum and Vaughn McMillan wrote this poem that was perfect for it. So, here's the birdhouse....... And here's Vaughn's poetry....... There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile, He found a crooked...
  7. Curt Fuller

Russian Olive pedestal box

This is some Russian Olive burl wood. It's bigger than any of these pedestal things I've ever done before, 13" tall by 6.5" across. The pedestal and finial are just some kind of mystery wood dyed black. I tried to replicate some of the shapes in the box in the finial and pedestal. The base of...
  8. Curt Fuller

Back and White Elm HF

This is in direct contradiction to my long held belief that wood should be finished just as it grew on the tree. But what the hey, sometimes you get a wild hair. I've seen this done before but recently I saw a piece on another forum by Andy DiPietro that was amazing, so I'm giving him credit (or...
  9. Curt Fuller

Oak HF

This is some Gambel Oak from the foothills around here. Turned from a small log with the pith down the center. It had some wierd dark stuff in the center of the log. The finial is walnut ebonized with black ink and then partially sanded off. It's about 5" x 9".
  10. Curt Fuller

Bird Feeder

This is for feeding peanuts (in the shell) to the freeloading scrub jays and stellar jays that hang around here in the winter. It's 15" tall, 6" dia not counting the perches, made from walnut scraps and Home Depot dowels. You put the peanuts in the hole on top and then slide the cone back down...
  11. Curt Fuller

Juniper vase

This wood came from a tree I had to take out of my mom's yard. It's some kind of ornamental juniper, not red cedar but similar. It's about 8" x 5.5" I'm guessing, didn't really measure it, and just has a first coat of oil on it so far, still wet.
  12. Curt Fuller

Ponderosa Pine bowl

I haven't turned much pine and after turning this I'm not sure if I'll turn much more. But this sure made my garage smell good while I was working on it. This bowl is Ponderosa Pine, 11.5" x 2.5" and finished with Briwax. The dark areas in the grain are some kind of resin, very hard, and...
  13. Curt Fuller

Some birdhouse ornaments

The first two are Walnut, about 2 1/2" x 4 1/2". The second two are from some Ponderosa Pine that was still alive a couple weeks ago. The wood was so sticky and sappy that I couldn't sand them. They just have lacquer brushed on to make it so you can handle them without getting sticky. The grain...
  14. Curt Fuller

A whole slug of Christmas Ornaments

I haven't post here in a while and I haven't turned much besides ornaments for a while so here's a whole lug of them.... I warned ya!
  15. Curt Fuller

Cherry vessel with a story

A while back I got this message, kind of right out of the clear blue, from Mark Rios.... "Sometime around Tuesday set your table saw fence at 9 1/8" and the blade height to 5/16". In the off chance that 5/16" doesn't do it, reset the blade to about 15/16" and recut. That should do it." Then...
  16. Curt Fuller

The Mark Rios Box

About a month ago I got a message from Mark Rios.."Sometime around Tuesday set your table saw fence at 9 1/8" and the blade height to 5/16". In the off chance that 5/16" doesn't do it, reset the blade to about 15/16" and recut. That should do it." Then on tuesday, just like he said, the Fedex...
  17. Curt Fuller

Spider Jewelry Box

This is a jewelry box turned from African Mahogany with ebonized walnut legs. It's about 15" across the legs, 6.5" tall. More spindle turning and skew work than I want to do again for a while. Each leg is 3 sections, the neck is 2 sections. So that makes 32 pieces counting the boxes, lids...
  18. Curt Fuller

Cottonwood box

This is another piece turned from old dried cottonwood. It's 5" diameter by 7.5" to the top of the handle. The handle is rosewood. I left a little of the natural edge on one side. Not sure I should have but it is what it is.
  19. Curt Fuller

Cottonwood rimmed bowl

This is a piece of cottonwood that has a little bit of cracking, some spalting, a couple nail holes, some crotch wood, and some of that chatoyance type stuff. It's just under 12" diameter, 4" tall.
  20. Curt Fuller

Walnut NE winged bowl

Walnut winged bowl from a small crotch. The limb growing out the side had been cut or broke off at some time and the tree grew back around it. It's about 12" corner to corner, 2.5" tall, the bark was gone the second I turned the lathe on. Oil and lacquer finish.