Search results

1. Bill Lantry

Well done BBC focus on Corruption

Rob, I'm not among those who look askance at wikipedia, mainly because I've heard a fair bit about how encyclopedias were compiled in the old days. At least with wiki, things can be checked, confirmed, or changed, unlike the old Britannica, where errors, once printed, were carved in stone and...
  2. Bill Lantry

I'm not a Yankees fan...

... But this is a pretty good idea for a pitcher's retirement gift. Mariano Rivera's farewell tour: Never seen a rocking chair made quite like that before... Thanks, Bill
  3. Bill Lantry

Wow! That's one hot saw!

Hey, folks, High on my list of dislikes is using the tablesaw in the middle of winter, when the metal's really cold. Never considered the other side, though. This pic was taken yesterday in Arizona: More from the same shop here: http://imgur.com/a/tFNnn Dang! Thanks, Bill
  4. Bill Lantry

Neverwet

Hey, folks, I've never actually seen this stuff, but I wonder if it has any applications in the shop? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57590077-1/spill-a-lot-neverwets-ready-to-coat-your-gear/ Thanks, Bill
  5. Bill Lantry

Silly Question: rewiring the basement.

Art, Oops paint is the mistakes they make when tinting the base. They sell it for somewhere between 5 and 7 bucks a gallon. Somedays you get lucky. In this case, somebody ordered some kind of deck coating ("Restore") which usually goes for 35 bucks a gallon. Waterproof, sticks to anything...
  6. Bill Lantry

Vaughn, you don't know the half of it... ;) I'm a lucky man! Here she is, paintbrush in hand, all dressed up in her wood shop clothes:
  7. Bill Lantry

More progress: I have to go put on another coat. . . But at least she looks happy! Wait till you see the next step!
  8. Bill Lantry

I think it was Napoleon, wasn't it, who said "no battle plan survives contact with the opposing force?" So I dashed off to home depot to pick up some electrical supplies, and to price some other things, when Doorlink called my phone: * ME: Hello, Beautiful! SHE: Doc, buy me some oops paint...
  9. Bill Lantry

Hey, folks, We're finally getting around to it: the basement fireplace room. The space is about 16 x 24. Eight weeks ago, Doorlink moved a box down there. This simple act led to all new shelves in the storage hallway, a completely revamped furnace/storage room, an extremely large county large...
  10. Bill Lantry

Lets not forget 65 years ago

So I was doing a little reading on this today. It's amazing how few details we've learned over the years, even after all those classes and movies and books. Here's one story I hadn't heard: The place is called La Pointe du Hoc. Here's a map...
  11. Bill Lantry

Shop Reconfiguration

Ended up using a plane to clean up the edges. Can you believe I glued them the first time around? ;) Back view of the saw installed, showing the dust collection box. Setting thing back up. While I had it off, smeared the top with naval jelly. Wiped that off, sanded the rusty top with...
  12. Bill Lantry

Shop Reconfiguration

Predrilling holes for the new (old) casters: Those lag screws were pretty rusty. They needed a bath in WD-40 Casters installed. That messy area is a holdover from the old dust collection box. Top of new platform This is the piece the saw actually rests on (is bolted to). The dust...
  13. Bill Lantry

Shop Reconfiguration

Hey, folks, You may remember I've just inherited a bunch of sweet tools from an old friend. But every silver lining has a cloud, and here's mine: the shop's too small. So I looked around and tried to figure out what to do. Biggest things first, right? Well, the biggest thing in my shop is my...
  14. Bill Lantry

Dale Nish 1932-2013

Hey, folks, Just heard that Dale Nish, celebrated woodturner, passed away a few days ago. He was best known for his vessels turned from wormy ash: More examples here. Thanks, Bill
  15. Bill Lantry

It's been a long road...

Hey, folks, Just sharing a bit of good news: #3 son had his graduation today. Here's a pic of the podium: Yes, that's the Basilica in the background. And here's Julian, the young grad himself on the left, with a couple of his brothers, and Doorlink: In any case, I'm very proud of the...
  16. Bill Lantry

Street legal plane runs on regular, requires bald pilot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7YuXQ8jFM28#start=0:00;end=6:50;autoreplay=false;showoptions=false The next version will do VTOL: you could fly it out of your driveway. Complete autopilot, and automated parking/landing...
  17. Bill Lantry

Never make bets with welders!

So there was this guy, who happened to be a welder, who made a friendly bet. The wager was a bottle of liquor. The guy lost, but he wasn't very happy about it. Still, he was a man of his word, so he delivered: Thanks, Bill
  18. Bill Lantry

Incra Table Saw Fence

Paul, I take it back. There are actually four: Blow that pic up, and look closely. Standard, metric, "project tape" (that's the one that reads 7A, 7B, etc.) and then the metallic looking rule, which I seldom actually look at. So you can work in both worlds, and still have a markable tape for...
  19. Bill Lantry

Reconstructing the pew

Hey, folks, After a week away from the shop, I'm finally back at it. Before I flew off, I had to rapidly move the pew into the shop, and of course it came apart in my hands. Now I need to put it back together, and I have some questions. Someone, and I ain't naming names, really went to town on...
  20. Bill Lantry

Remind me not to take up woodcarving...

. So there's this guy, his name is Ian Brennan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Brennan He got hold of a piece of the HMS Victory: And spent 5000 hours, over 17 years, carving this: Think about it: that's two and a half years of full time work. I'll never have that kind of patience...