Search results

1. Charlie Schultz

Internet forum software- recommendations?

Hi all, I'm a member of another forum that is looking to replace its old, no longer supported forum software ("Web Crossing"). There are many choices out there, so I'm wondering if anyone can offer some recommendations, cautions, caveats, etc. Thanks, Charlie
  2. Charlie Schultz

PM 54A- shimming the cutterhead?

So I installed a Byrd shelix cutterhead on my Powermatic jointer (6") this weekend and it seems just a tiny bit tilted, cutting a little higher toward the fence side of the jointer. I was wondering if it's ok to shim one of the bearing housings (between the housing and the base) to raise one end...
  3. Charlie Schultz

Folding leg ideas?

I need to make a small stool, roughly 30" long by 11" wide and 15" high. It has to be portable, so I was thinking along the lines of some kind of folding legs. It'd be nice if the legs could lock up in the folded position and down in the > 90 degree position so that it's nice and stable. Anyone...
  4. Charlie Schultz

Good place to buy Lenox BS blades?

I want to try one of their WoodMaster CT blades- can anyone recommend a good source? Thanks.
  5. Charlie Schultz

The Atlanta Woodworking Show- anyone else go?

I went Sunday afternoon and there seemed to be a good crowd (maybe due to the lathe giveaway?). Parking was free :thumb:. Stone Mountain Machinery had pretty much the entire Jet line up there, but no major equipment manufacturers were there. I did linger over their oscillating belt sander...
  6. Charlie Schultz

12" resaw bandsaws- any opinions?

Hi all, Any suggestions or opinions on bandsaws with 12" or so of resaw capacity? Looking at FWW, they looked at Griz (G0514X2B, G0513X2B), Jet (18Q, 18QT), Laguna (LT14SUV), Rikon, Shop Fox and Steel City. Their favorite was the G0514X2B. TIA, Charlie
  7. Charlie Schultz

Interesting bits of fine print

I saw an ad today for the Laguna summer sweepstakes, and thought I'd enter. So I looked at the fine print/sweepstakes rules and I saw a couple of interesting bits under the section "Claiming Prizes": 1. "Tennessee residents will not be required to sign Publicity Release as a condition of...
  8. Charlie Schultz

Wine server

This is based largely on a plan from an old Woodsmith magazine. It's cherry with BE maple in the door and on the side edges. The bottle holder is plain maple. Thanks for looking. Charlie
  9. Charlie Schultz

Eureka contest at WWJ

So I see that Woodworker's Journal is running a contest to win one of those Eureka Woodworking businesses (e.g., making adirondack chairs, etc). Have any of you ever considered doing that, or know someone who has done that? Just curious... Charlie
  10. Charlie Schultz

Looking for some clamp on lights

I'm looking for a couple of those light fixtures that you can clamp to the top of a workbench and that can swivel around (but I don't want the kind with the magnifier). The issue is that my bench is 3.5" thick and most of the ones I've seen look like they're designed for tops much less than that...
  11. Charlie Schultz

Looking for a particular kind of vise...

I'm looking for a vise that mounts in a single hole through a workbench. The mount is maybe 3/4" diameter and threaded so that you attach it with a oversize wing nut from the bottom. Anyone know where I can find one like that? Thanks, Charlie
  12. Charlie Schultz

A carved candle holder

I carved this out of mahogany and then finished it with a coat of dark brown Briwax. It stands about 12" high and the base is about 7" x 7". It's mostly from Frederick Wilbur's "Decorative Woodcarving" book. Thanks for looking.
  13. Charlie Schultz

Build a Small Cabinet

Anybody looked at this video/sketchup drawing on the Fine Woodworking site. If so, are the drawer runners correct in the plans? It looks like there's an extra notch in the front of the runner and the overall length is 1/16" too long.
  14. Charlie Schultz

Music (sheet) cabinet

A cabinet for holding sheet music. Walnut (unsteamed) with an oil finish (Tru Oil). Got a little more sap wood in there then I would've liked, but that's what I had.
  15. Charlie Schultz

Anyone ever buy those specialty pen clips?

These are the pen clips shaped like a golf club or medical insginia or g-clef, etc. Anyway, I bought some for Euro style pens and was a bit disappointed in their fit- too tight against the body. Anyone else seen that? BTW, both the pens and the clips came from CSUSA.
  16. Charlie Schultz

Butler's table

Butler's table in red oak, shellac finish, bad picture.
  17. Charlie Schultz

Looking for a book with ornamental/architectural carving patterns

I'm looking for a source for carving patterns that would be appropriate for furniture- any recommendations?
  18. Charlie Schultz

I helped out Tod...

Well, I only meant to buy 5 or 6 carving chisels (really), but thanks to Tod & Marty, I ended up with a few more (like, ummm, 28 total). Now the tools are way better than me, so there goes that excuse. Any ideas for carving chisel holder?
  19. Charlie Schultz

Stanley #4 with small crack at mouth- ok for a user plane?

I can potentially get this plane free, but it does have a small crack on one side of the mouth. Will it still work fine as a user plane?
  20. Charlie Schultz

Shop-made box latches- where did I see them?

I remember an issue of one of the magazines, maybe 2-3 years ago, that had some shop-made box latches. I think it was Woodsmith, but maybe Shop Notes or ?? (dang, it's tough getting old). Anyone remember seeing those and where?