Search results

1. Tom Baugues

Broken tooth on blade.......fix or throw away?

Tonight I was gifted a brand new pair of 10 inch table saw blades. A 60 tooth and a 40 tooth. As the owner picked them up to show them to me, both blades fell out of the package and crashed to the cement floor very hard. One of the two blades now has a broken carbide tooth. Can these teeth be...
  2. Tom Baugues

Is Stu (from Tokyo) still here?

Does Stu still check in here? I recently watched a YouTube video he made where Stu had shown some set up jigs he made to set his grinder up to sharpen bowl gouges for different angles. The link he provided no longer works so I was hoping to find him to see if he still had the angle profiles...
  3. Tom Baugues

Will this stop the cracking?

My next door neighbor trimmed up his Maple trees a couple days ago and had this pile sitting out waiting for the city to come haul it away. I went over and cut myself a log to turn on my lathe. I'm thinking (3pc) candle holders. Of course the wood is VERY wet right now. I turned off the bark and...
  4. Tom Baugues

How to clean "varmit stink" from a table saw?

Last summer the motor on my table saw burned up. I didn't really use it much, so I have not replaced it. Now I have a need for one. My father-in-law who passed away several years ago had a shop full of tools in an outbuilding on his farm. There is a Craftsman 10" heavy cast iron top table saw...
  5. Tom Baugues

Maybe I'm spoiled...UPDATED

Maybe I've gotten used to ordering online and actually receiving my orders in a timely manner.... but my latest order has me concerned. I needed some new band saw blades. Last couple times I ordered blades I bought them from Ellis Machinery due to a recommendation from this group years ago...
  6. Tom Baugues

Going to the Woodworking Show in Indianapolis

It's been many years since I've gone to one of the "Woodworking Shows" and the past few I did go to I told myself that I wouldn't go again but I find myself sitting here (retired now) in the middle of winter with nothing better to do so I've decided to go to the show on Friday just to have...
  7. Tom Baugues

Snow blower exhaust repair advise

For the second year in a row now the bolts that hold the muffler onto my snowblower have come loose. I believe the threads on one or both of the bolt holes have started to deteriorate. It's a 30-year-old snowblower. Still runs well and starts easily. I kind of hate to give up on it. The bolts...
  8. Tom Baugues

Live Edge Ash bowl

I've been working with my lathe more lately. I saw a post here from Ryan Mooney who turned a live edge bowl. It inspired me to try turning my first live edge bowl. This is just a piece of Ash wood. (not near as pretty as Ryan's Cherry bowl) but I was happy for my first attempt. It's only about a...
  9. Tom Baugues

Wooden mallet

I thought this was going to be very straight forward but I learned a few things along the way. Alignment issues mainly. I measured several times and was sure but something just didn't look quite right and once glued up...sure enough. Oh well...for a beater stick it will work just fine. Made...
  10. Tom Baugues

Can't log in on mobile devices

I have Tapatalk on my iphone and tablet. For some reason I cannot log in on those devices. It always tells me that my password is not correct but I'm 99.9% sure it is. (I never admit I'm 100% perfect). Confused.
  11. Tom Baugues

Inflation is out of control!

I was shopping online to find a quart of mineral spirts and saw this Menards ad. Well out of my price range but it MUST be some nice stuff. I'll keep shopping.
  12. Tom Baugues

How to turn a "lidded bowl"

I've never turned a bowl with a matching lid before. My question is.....is the lid usually a separate piece of wood to start with or is there ever a case where the lid is cut from the same piece as the bowl. If from the same piece, then at what point do you cut the lid piece away from the bowl...
  13. Tom Baugues

The bug has bit hard.

While waiting on some finishing supplies to get here I threw the next piece on the lathe tonight. This one hasn't told me what it wants to be just yet.
  14. Tom Baugues

Merry Christmas to everyone!

I hope everyone here is having a great Christmas holiday. After some family time this evening I came home and got to looking for some information I had posted here many years ago. I ended up going through my old threads since 2009 and it made me realize how much advise you all have given me...
  15. Tom Baugues

Wow...2 projects in the same week...no way!

The bowl I turned on Tuesday/Wednesday this week was so much fun I decided to throw another chunk on the lathe this morning. This is a piece of Walnut that was laying in the corner of the shop for 15 years so is plenty dry. Anyway, as you can see from the photos there is a "void" inside the bowl...
  16. Tom Baugues

I could use some advice.

It's been about 5+ years since I attempted to turn a bowl and today was not planned but I saw a piece of wood today I've had stored for a few years and the next thing I knew it was spinning on the lathe with no real plan in place. So far, it's going well but I have a question......Many years ago...
  17. Tom Baugues

A few rings today

I found myself with nothing to do today so pulled out the lathe and turned a few rings.
  18. Tom Baugues

Christmas Ornaments

I hope everyone is having a good holiday season. I recently made these Christmas tree ornaments for family and friends using my laser. My wife painted them to add some color.
  19. Tom Baugues

Flower Planter Box

I recently had a new section of driveway poured and we had to remove some plants that set up near the house. So, I decided to build a couple of flower planter boxes that can now sit on top of the concrete in that same area. I set out with a general picture in my head of what I wanted to build. I...
  20. Tom Baugues

Upgrade cnc machine?

I've had a very small 7" x 7" cnc machine for about 5 years now but never had the time to really learn how to use it. Now I have time but cant get things to work. In my quest for answers to my current issues I've been seeing a lot of really nice larger projects that people have made using there...