Search results

1. Dave Black

Looking for upgrade to random orbit sander

I have a bosch ROS20vsc (or an older model of it) that works fine but Im looking for something faster, Ive been doing a lot of tables lately and sanding the tops it taking too long working up through the grits. Would one the dual mode sanders (like the 1250devs or ros65vc) work faster, ie use...
  2. Dave Black

Byrd head for powermatic 100 planer

I have a powermatic 100 planer that Ive had for a few years and now Ive been using my grizzly 490x jointer with a spiral head I was thinking that I should upgrade to a byrd head on the planer too. Any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on a byrd from holbren.com Anyone know of a promo code, I...
  3. Dave Black

Drying turning blanks

I am getting started turning more things since I have a newly made big lathe to play with. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?36232-Shop-built-large-lathe I made a ball turning jig and made a few balls from some largish scraps I had around. They came out pretty and I wanted to...
  4. Dave Black

Pentz blower sizing

Several years ago I built a Pentz cyclone and blower. Well I'm going over my setup and I'm changing some stuff around and I see that my blower housing is not to the correct size. I believe that when I built it it was correct to the plans listed but now it seems that there was a redo of the info...
  5. Dave Black

4 Jaw chuck runout

I just got one of these for my custom lathe I just built and noticed that there is quite a bit of runout on the jaws, the chuck body spins true but the jaws are obviously not true. I know that the jaws are only round at a certain opening and that is not what I'm talking about. If I chuck up a...
  6. Dave Black

Shop built large lathe

I'm thinking of building myself a serious lathe. I have an old jet lathe that's been good but it's just not big enough for large work. My original idea was to use some I beams for the bed then I got thinking why not make a oneway style lathe. So I started looking around and saw the Robust lathe...
  7. Dave Black

Grizzly moving sale

Grizzly is moving out of PA and is having a moving sale. Sad that I won't be so close anymore. http://www.grizzly.com/events/2015/09/PA-Moving-Sale-2
  8. Dave Black

Metal lathe search

I know this is the wood lathe area but I alread have a wood lathe and now I need a metal lathe. I don't know much about metal lathes so I don't know what to look for in one. I will be using it for miscellaneous stuff, making parts for the wood machinery I build, making replacement parts for old...
  9. Dave Black

5 string jazz bass build

I decided october 9th 2014 that I should build myself a new bass, so I bought some pickups from eBay which lead to buying tuning machines, then an onboard preamp and bridge and strap locks and all the rest. So november 15th I started making some saw dust. These pics are in rough order of how...
  10. Dave Black

Delta 17-959l upgrades

I've had this drill press for a few years and have done some upgrades over the years. I thought I would show what I have done to it. The first thing I did was correct the quill slop that developed a year or so ago. I converted the regular head casting to a split casting by cutting through the...
  11. Dave Black

ES Build

I was finally fortunate enough to have someone pay me to build one of these. I think it turned out well. I laminated the bent sides over a male mold the pressed them with an air filled hose inside a female mold during the glue up.
  12. Dave Black

20" disc sander

I decided that I wanted a 20" disc sander... so I built one.
  13. Dave Black

Les Paul style guitar

Here is a guitar I finished at the end of January, I built it for a friend. Its loosely based on a 1959 les paul standard. Unlike most les pauls this is all maple except for the walnut strips in the neck, It also has a multi piece neck rather than the traditional single piece. More pics to come
  14. Dave Black

Server Rack tool Box

I needed more tool storage in the shop and didn't want to buy something or spend a bunch on plywood so I decided to make use of an old server rack someone gave me. I pulled all the rack rail out and put some stringers inside so I had something to mount the drawer slides on, made some drawers...
  15. Dave Black

removing bug stains in maple

I am building a guitar and the body blank I am using has some streaking from something in it( bugs or maple sap taps). I was't too worried early on because they are not on the front face or back face, but are on the end grain. The front of the guitar is going to be a vintage style sunburst and...
  16. Dave Black

Contemplating an 8" jointer

I have a decent older 6" delta rockwell jointer that I've been using for a few years now but I keep running into trouble when I try to join longer boards, so I was thinking it may be time to upgrade. I have been on the lookout for a decent used jointer, mainly a powermatic 60 but Im not having...
  17. Dave Black

Bridgewood MS10 mortiser

I picked up a bridgewood ms10 mortiser this past week, I came across it listed for $50 on ebay, started bidding a few bucks at a time, I ended up the high bidder with 8 seconds left. $151 and a half hour later I had it in the truck. Its very heavy, I think 360 or so pounds. I had to take the...
  18. Dave Black

Looking at powermatic model 60 jointer

I have a delta 37-220 6" jointer now which works well but I would like to get something longer. I found 2 powermatic model 60s fairly local that seem to be in decent condition but have 3 phase motors. What would a fair price be?
  19. Dave Black

Fixing quill slop (delta 17-959l)

About 2 years ago I bought a delta 17-959l drill press for my new shop, this was after I had a steel city 17" at my old shop and a delta 17-950 previous to that. The cheap delta got returned a couple months after I got it because of quill slop, then I got the steel city because of the split...
  20. Dave Black

Delta 1200 Scroll Saw

I picked this up on craigslist a little while ago, I completely tore down the machine, painted it and built this stand for it. I would still like to reproduce the decals that came from the factory. I need to get some decal paper and find some time to do that.