Search results

1. Bryan Cowing

Fishing Pole rack-red oak

One of our kids wanted a rack for poles. I bought this paper Woodcraft 10 pole plan. I eliminated the center secret drawer. The fish carving I couldn't do as per plan. Instead of the fancy carving, I bandsawed the fish shape, rounded it somewhat on the belt sander. Cut an oval plaque to mount...
  2. Bryan Cowing

Walnut Bench

Another bench! This replaces an identical one, but with a bit more red in the upholstery. Has to match the pillow :huh:! I will give the other bench to our daughter.
  3. Bryan Cowing

Bedroom bench x 2

DIL wants an oak bench for the end of the bed, so I am also building one for us in walnut. I made 2 of these benches a few yrs back, so out with the leg pattern for the copier. Mortise and tenon joints and corner cross braces. I'm almost ready to spray the benches with the oak one now stained...
  4. Bryan Cowing

Vega lathe copier video - a 6 minute bench leg

Making 8 legs for 2 benches I am building. Add 10-15 minutes more time to use lathe chisels to smooth and sharpen details and sand to complete each leg. From this pattern, bench #'s 4 & 5.
  5. Bryan Cowing

2 nightstands

I started 2 nightstands my son wanted as christmas gifts a few weeks back. He drew up a plan, includes a 2.5 inch high shelf for laptops. He wanted it 6" off the floor so I turned some feet. I finally did a dry fit yesterday. Been away from any woodworking for several months, this is the 1st...
  6. Bryan Cowing

Charles Brock Rocker build W.I.P.

Bought plans and some tools last May:rolleyes:. I guess I better get at it. I started with the seat, making it from 2 pieces. cut the notches and routed the 1" tenon. 2x10 spruce jig laminated 8 strips at 1/8" thick, they bend easy I had 5/8" radius round over & rabbet router bits on...
  7. Bryan Cowing

New Tig / stick welder & some metal work

going South soon, need a bike rack for the old travel trailer. Got a budget tig / stick welder, comes with regulator, finger and foot pedal. Can't seem to master the foot pedal so back to the finger control. For a lunch box size welder, sure puts out a lot of heat. I made a wood prototype from...
  8. Bryan Cowing

4' x 7' Pantry Project

A co worker talked me into building him a large pantry this winter during layoff. He wants it built in 2 pieces to make it easier to get into the double wide home. I found a pic of the general style, 4 doors and 2 drawers, he wants it all raised panel, soft close hardware. So far I made up a...
  9. Bryan Cowing

Rocking chair

I'm using up a lot of shop scraps , and some donated lumber. Chair is going to a member of our woodworkers coffee night meetings. I was given enough 8/4 cherry to make the legs, using 3/4" walnut glued in the middle to make 2.5" turning blanks. The idea was to build a chair from donations of...
  10. Bryan Cowing

Small roll top desk for a Granddaughter

Our daughter wants a desk for her 10 yr old. I found a free roll top plan, and making a few modifications. I added 2" to the leg length so a pencil drawer could be installed. And I want to use a ball and socket tambour so no cloth backing . I made up a jig to cut the tapered legs on the TS's...
  11. Bryan Cowing

Kid's Rocker

Both chairs are assembled, one I stained yesterday brown. Today I wanted to stain the other chair red, but what I thought was red mahogany stain was stained polyurethane. I wondered why it was going on weird! :huh: I finished wiping the chair with it , but now I can't get the desired color I was...
  12. Bryan Cowing

Blanket Box.. the easy way

I use Norm's NYW plan for the size of the box, but what I do is make it as 4 raised panel doors and join them together. Got the parts cut out a week ago and yesterday ran them by the shaper cutter. I leave my 3/4" bore cabinet set double mounted on the spare 1/2" shaft. And with a Wixey mounted...
  13. Bryan Cowing

traditional bed #2

For several weekends now, I have been building another 4 poster bed . This one is for my wife, as she really liked the one I made for our daughter. The Head and footboard is higher on this one! I got it to the test fit stage today.:thumb:
  14. Bryan Cowing

Future Project, a traditional 4 poster bed

I want to build this bed, from a 1995 WW magazine article I saved. I have a stash of air dried 8/4 hard maple (12% moisture) picked up for $300 to use. Posts are 3 pieces, 2 @ 36" + finial. I got a start on drawing out the post parts full size from the info in the magazine article. Posts are...
  15. Bryan Cowing

4 poster bed build for Son & Wife

I got a start on laminating the 3 part 6"x 6" blanks posts for the bed. Got to use the new BS to rip the 8/4 to width. The 12" RAS got a work out, but not impressed with the newly sharpened blade!:mad: Used up all the 80 bd ft of 8/4 oak , only a few long 2x2 off cuts left. That was close...
  16. Bryan Cowing

TV wall unit a W.I.P.

Fellow I made a stereo stand for a few years ago wants a wall unit for his rec room. From his sketch, this online one is close to what he wants. So far I picked up the oak veneer from HD , cut to approx size. Had this used TS for 5 years, 1st time trying the scoring blades on veneer. Took a lot...
  17. Bryan Cowing

Maybe my router bit is a bit dull?

Had 15 minutes left of my lunch hour, so put in a cove cutter in the router table and routed a 3" long recess for fingers at each end of the soft maple sink cutting board. Had a few minutes left, so got the sandpaper out to ease the edges. Then I started to smell smoke, looked at the router...
  18. Bryan Cowing

Video of projects

Video showing projects we have in the house, from as far back as 32 years ago when I built a garage / workshop & re-started the woodworking hobby after a 6 year hiatus. Edited on the Mac with iMovie.
  19. Bryan Cowing

Video shop tour

spent a few hours cleaning up my last mess, shot a video with a cell phone camera. tour #3, longer video, slowed my walking speed down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSx5bAcKFs
  20. Bryan Cowing

Kitchen step stool / chair

5' 1" Swmbo wants a chair / step stool for the kitchen! Found a plan, but 5-6 weeks wait , & almost $40:eek:. Used a free plan to get sizes and draw my own plan full size. Construction pics! backrest is next, then plug screw holes , be ready to finish