Search results

1. Jeb Taylor

New Family Member

I meant to post this earlier, but I've been a little busy lately. Finally got a good night's sleep last night :) Last Saturday my wife and I became parents. We have been very blessed with a wonderful baby boy. Ethan Stuart Taylor
  2. Jeb Taylor

Toybox #2

Another toybox I made for my stepbrother. Simple design, but I really liked the lines on it. Soft maple, Transtint water based dye, and Target EM6000 finish.
  3. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

I've been a little busy lately, got a promotion (which means I volunteered to work a lot more hours for just a little more money) but I did manage to do some woodwork lately. Haven't been keeping up with my internet time, but I'm getting a nice break over the hollidays. I have a nice surprise...
  4. Jeb Taylor

Shaper upgrade

While I don't use it much and haven't even worked in my shop more than a couple hours a week lately, I couldn't resist upgrading my shaper. I got a grizzly 1-1/2hp shaper, raised panel cutter, and two reversible rail/style cutters for $325. Here's my old shaper. 3/4" spindle, 1-1/2hp. What...
  5. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

Finally got a little time off work to get back out to the shop this weekend. A major outage at work put a dent in my woodworking :doh: This is the first time I had all the cabinets laid out on the floor at once, it's starting to take over my shop. One of the boards in the face frame didnt'...
  6. Jeb Taylor

Face veneer thickness-supplier-cost

I'm not sure what you call thick veneer, but I get two options locally. One is import birch with about 13 ply that I wouldn't try sanding. The other is a domestic that has 5 thicker ply and 2 veeners. Last time I bought any of this was spring 2011, it was $65/sheet for B2. This pic is the...
  7. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

The bottom side cabinets are almost done. Got the sides on and sprayed a coat of sanding sealer on it to see how it was all going to look. It's turning out pretty good so far, the side panel ended up 1/16" short somehow :dunno: The top that goes over these will cover that up though. I hit...
  8. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

Here's some of the lighter and darker walnut I have with just a coat of BLO on it. I wish everything looked like the lighter walnut, but I didn't really know how to accomplish that.
  9. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

I finally got the first batch of panels sanded, here's my attempt at an "equalizing stain". The second panel in the after dye looks lighter due to the flash, but they are all more or less the same shade now. Before Dye ______After Dye The dye is 1/4" from a bottle of transtint...
  10. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

Last week was busy, but I finally got some time this afternoon to get back in the shop. I started cutting up pieces for the raised panels on the ends and doors for the 2 cabinets I'm working on right now. Got to use up a lot of shorts :) I got the face frames attached and sprayed sanding...
  11. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

Here is what I was thinking on the sides of the upper half. I had planned on raised panels everywhere (not going to draw those in sketchup for now). I'm not exactly sure what to do about the side panel here. I think the top rail should be as high as the arched face frame on the front of the...
  12. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

I'm using breather mesh on both sides that I got from veneersupplies.com, and all raw wood veneer. The area I wasn't getting enough glue on was the edges, some spots just weren't adhering good enough. I didn't notice until I had a piece chip out. It wasn't to hard to fix where it wasn't...
  13. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

I've finally started working on my entertainment center. I started looking into this project last summer. Since then I've asked a lot of questions, looked at a lot of pictures for design ideas, and changed my own ideas a good bit. Here is the rough sketchup model. The bottom half of the...
  14. Jeb Taylor

Indoor Planter/Plant Stand

Thanks guys. It was quite a learning process on the finishing. Thanks to everyone who posts their work here too. Seeing all the great projects people post and reading the little tips here and there helps me keep challenging myself to get better. I got it inside now, here's a couple more...
  15. Jeb Taylor

Indoor Planter/Plant Stand

My wife wanted a plant box to put her potted plants in by the window in the kitchen. I thought this would be a great project to experiment on, so I challenged myself with a lot of new finish products and construction. This is the first time I made any curved legs, figured maple, or used just...
  16. Jeb Taylor

New Shop

New Shop - Rearrangement Ok, so I've been in it a year. Got a couple new tools, made a couple re-arrangements, so I thought I'd post an update. This wall is pretty much the same. I still need to build some more cabinets for the wall, and I'd like another 4' of drawered cabinets, probably...
  17. Jeb Taylor

Vertical Chest Board and Chalk Board

I've been busy and haven't gotten anything posted lately, but I did manage to get a couple little projects off the list. The chess board is for a friend that is going to get it framed for his son. 3/4" MDF back, with resawn tiles about 3/32" thick, glued on with just a little spacing between...
  18. Jeb Taylor

Toy Dump Trucks

It took me a while, but I finally got the plans drawn out on autocad. I'll try and remember to convert them to pdf at work, then post the pdf's also. There are some rounded corners and clearances that I sanded to fit that aren't on the drawing, but it was all just as needed to make the bed...
  19. Jeb Taylor

Toy Dump Trucks

This year's christmas present for my nephews/neices and children of a couple friends. It took forever to get the first one out, I kept changing things on it. I have almost all the parts cut for the other 9 I need to make by christmas, so it shoulnd't take to long to assemble them. Combination...
  20. Jeb Taylor

Train Bank

I made this bank for a friend's nephew. Kind of a sad story, he's really into trains because the last time he saw his dad was dropping him off at the train station. His father passed away in a car accident later on his trip. I wish I'd had even more time to spend on it, but I put what time I...