Search results

1. Jeb Taylor

New Family Member

I meant to post this earlier, but I've been a little busy lately. Finally got a good night's sleep last night :) Last Saturday my wife and I became parents. We have been very blessed with a wonderful baby boy. Ethan Stuart Taylor
  2. Jeb Taylor

Toybox #2

Another toybox I made for my stepbrother. Simple design, but I really liked the lines on it. Soft maple, Transtint water based dye, and Target EM6000 finish.
  3. Jeb Taylor

Shaper upgrade

While I don't use it much and haven't even worked in my shop more than a couple hours a week lately, I couldn't resist upgrading my shaper. I got a grizzly 1-1/2hp shaper, raised panel cutter, and two reversible rail/style cutters for $325. Here's my old shaper. 3/4" spindle, 1-1/2hp. What...
  4. Jeb Taylor

Entertainment Center

I've finally started working on my entertainment center. I started looking into this project last summer. Since then I've asked a lot of questions, looked at a lot of pictures for design ideas, and changed my own ideas a good bit. Here is the rough sketchup model. The bottom half of the...
  5. Jeb Taylor

Indoor Planter/Plant Stand

My wife wanted a plant box to put her potted plants in by the window in the kitchen. I thought this would be a great project to experiment on, so I challenged myself with a lot of new finish products and construction. This is the first time I made any curved legs, figured maple, or used just...
  6. Jeb Taylor

Vertical Chest Board and Chalk Board

I've been busy and haven't gotten anything posted lately, but I did manage to get a couple little projects off the list. The chess board is for a friend that is going to get it framed for his son. 3/4" MDF back, with resawn tiles about 3/32" thick, glued on with just a little spacing between...
  7. Jeb Taylor

Toy Dump Trucks

This year's christmas present for my nephews/neices and children of a couple friends. It took forever to get the first one out, I kept changing things on it. I have almost all the parts cut for the other 9 I need to make by christmas, so it shoulnd't take to long to assemble them. Combination...
  8. Jeb Taylor

Train Bank

I made this bank for a friend's nephew. Kind of a sad story, he's really into trains because the last time he saw his dad was dropping him off at the train station. His father passed away in a car accident later on his trip. I wish I'd had even more time to spend on it, but I put what time I...
  9. Jeb Taylor

Tea Box

I built this as an anniversary gift for my wife. Some walnut I had laying around and a small piece of butternut that Larry so graciously gave me for the inside. The top was a little curly walnut piece that was on the end of a board I milled down. I put it aside a year ago for something...
  10. Jeb Taylor

Radial Arm Saw

Anyone got any experience with a mid 70's model Dewalt Radial Arm Saw? I think it's a 770 from looking at pictures on the web, but I emailed him to confirm. I'm mostly interested in it for breaking down stock and possibly dado use occasionally. Assuming it's in good condition, is this...
  11. Jeb Taylor

Grizzly Dust Collector Problems

I had a recent failure of my Grizzly dust collector remote relay switch. The screws that hold the circuit board for the push buttons/remote in place came loose from vibration, and got into the relay and shorted out the board. Grizzly replaced the box under warranty and everything is fine, but...
  12. Jeb Taylor

Walnut Blanket Chest

This is a present for my wife's grandmother. She has made a lot of quilts over the years, so I thought she'd like something to put them in. It's inspired by Bryan Cowing's walkthrough: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21174&highlight=bryan+chest I made it more or less the...
  13. Jeb Taylor

New Narex Chisels

I just got a set of narex chisels in from lee valley, the ones they had on special. They look great, but I'm very unhappy with them. I was worried sharpening them, they sharpen extremely fast... I had planned on using them by hand only and sharpening to 20 degrees. Flattened the back, cut the...
  14. Jeb Taylor

Veneering question

I'm working on some plans for a new entertainment center, built like a built in bookshelf for my house. I plan on making it out of walnut, but I can't find any local supply for walnut plywood. The whole thing will be base cabinets with bookshelves on top. I'm looking to veneer the top for the...
  15. Jeb Taylor

Table and Chair Refinish

This has drug out over a couple months, but finally finished it up. It was an old child's table and chairs of my wife's grandmother when she was a kid. The sanding on such small parts is a lot more intracate than I expected but it's done finally. Re-made the table legs and one of the chair...
  16. Jeb Taylor

Pantry Shelving

I finally got time to finish some pantry shelving my wife had been wanting. They sat in the shop like this for way to long. There's not a lot of room due to the dryer door, but I managed to get a 9" deep, 6 shelf unit in the laundry room. Still have some sheetrock holes to fix where I took...
  17. Jeb Taylor

New toy

Well working long hours for the last two months doesn't leave much time in the shop, but it does help add a new shiny :) Thanks to Glenn for the recommendation. Haven't tried it out yet, need a longer cable and plug, but got it assembled tonight. I was again impressed by the quality of the...
  18. Jeb Taylor

Refinishing Question

I'm working on refinishing a kid's table and chairs for my wife's grandmother. It had been botched up really bad by someone she paid to do it a few years ago, so she asked me to try and make it nice again. I'm not a big fan of refinishing old stuff, but it's been in the family for around 70-80...
  19. Jeb Taylor

Unipoint Saw

I saw this in the local craigslist. Way to much machine for me, no way to handle it, nor the room, but I thought someone might be interested. http://huntsville.craigslist.org/tls/2346801215.html I think it's something like this: http://www.eidemachinery.com/northfieldras.htm Northfield...
  20. Jeb Taylor

What's a cherry slab worth?

I found this add on craigslist, a guy near me has a bunch of 5/4 cherry and a 3" x 18" x 10' slab from a 125 yr old cherry tree. He wants like $1.50/bd ft for it, but that might just be the 5/4 stuff. It's been air drying for 1.5 yrs, sticker stained, and looks to have some cup. It's probably...