Search results

1. Ken Easley

Bill Rubinstein, Owner of Stubby Lathes USA, Importer of Stubby's, passed

Some of you have seen this on other forums I'm sure. Sad news. Bill Rubinstein, owner of Stubby Lathes, USA, the guy who took over the imports from John Jordan, passed away on Aug. 12th. He was a great ambassador for all woodturning and at least a part of the reason Stubby owners feel so...
  2. Ken Easley

Sharpening System Comparison

I've got 1 CBN wheel I've added to my 1800 RPM Grinder. An inexpensive Sheppach model sold by Craft Supplies for a short time. Almost bought into the Sorby belt system and briefly considered a Tormek. So, the starting assumption is the turner will only have one system. Here's a list of...
  3. Ken Easley

Do you recognize this buffing compound?

Hi, ran across this gray buffing compound and I really don't know what it is. I got it from Don Pencil (I think) a long time ago as something he threw in as a freebie. Something he often did since his shipments always went out later than expected. At least that was my experience. Anyway, he...
  4. Ken Easley

Best Lathe Light

The tricky part, like most things is the "for the money" you tacked on to best lathe light. I've always wanted a dental or medical light like David Marks used to have on his TV show. I've never found one under $800 or so, but know people who have found them very cheap. Second choice is the...
  5. Ken Easley

Saw Jimmy Clewes demo yesterday

Arizona Woodturning Assoc. had Jimmy Clewes out yesterday for a one day demo. If he's ever in your area you should make the plans to check him out. I've attached the 3 pieces he did in about 5 1/2 hours while explaining everything he did very well, and it was entertaining. Photos are just...
  6. Ken Easley

looking for a quick method for bowl finishing

Since the holidays have crept up on me and I haven't done nearly as much in the shop as I had hoped. I was looking for some ways to take green wood, not real wet but definitely green, and get to a finished bowl, good enough to gift, in time for Christmas. I've never tried microwaving to dry...
  7. Ken Easley

Sanding Disks

Hi all, I'm about to purchase a larger quantity (at least for me) of sanding disks. I've been using the wavy edge, 2" and 3" and of course I'm looking for the best deal. So, three questions: 1. do you think the wavy edge makes enough difference to pay a couple pennies more per disk, 2. Do...
  8. Ken Easley

couple of larger bowls

Here are a couple of larger bowls, these are about 4" x 10". Both are finished with a couple of coats of Deft Danish Oil and two coats of Arm-r-Seal. Haven't decided whether or not to buff out the Arm-r-Seal yet. Any advice on that? The Chittum bowl was finish turned from a green blank and...
  9. Ken Easley

couple of smaller bowls

Hi all, I don't get around to posting too often but thought it about time to post a couple of my projects. Still working out my preferred finishing method, so experimenting with just about everything for now. These are both just a few coats of tung oil and buffed. Both approximately 6" x 2"...
  10. Ken Easley

would like more info on DNA technique

Hi all, this is my first post (moved from Dan Mosleys thread - I guess I tried to hijack it with no luck) Recent threads have hit upon what is probably my biggest problem. Living in the desert of Phoenix, drying, or preventing cracks from drying is a constant battle. I've seen a fresh cut...
  11. Ken Easley

Another newby

Hi all, Another newby from Phoenix, AZ. Been lurking for a while but decided to jump in and ask a few questions. Who knows, maybe I'll even know the answer to someone else's question. Seems like a pretty friendly group and I have seen some information that has helped me along. Mostly just...
  12. Ken Easley

Making things easier, or for me, automatic

I am trying to get all posts from a couple of the specific topic forums (I'm especially interested in lathes) to automatically come to me via email, rather than me being required to log on the the web. I seem to be missing something. Can this be done and can you point me to the url that has...