Search results

1. Cynthia White

Family Woodworkers in Vancouver, BC ?

Do we have anyone, hobbyist or pro, who lives in or around Vancouver BC, who could give a simple little demo to a group of girl guides? I'm not talking about handcut dovetails; I'm talking about showing them the difference between a hammer and a wrench. Thanks,
  2. Cynthia White

Purple heart wood

yup. BTDT.
  3. Cynthia White

Shellawax Cream

Has anyone ever used this on flatwork, rubbed to a shine by hand? It's in the LV catalogue, and it says it has lots of applications, and not just for turned projects.
  4. Cynthia White

...and its Friday!

Once I saw Ken Cook's shop, I figured I should show you mine! The good news is the shelves are done. The bad news is the finishing trim isn't.....and look at my shop.....and relatives started arriving yesterday....sorry, don't know why one photo is upside down.
  5. Cynthia White

Cost of Making vs. Buying Cabinets

A few people suggested refacing cabinets as a cost-effective solution, but that won't work here. First, the kitchen has a strange shape and there aren't many cabinets. Once a couple of walls come down there will be a need for more cabinets. Most of the existing ones have strange shapes and are...
  6. Cynthia White

Cost of Making vs. Buying Cabinets

I've recently been discussing this topic with our of our Family members off the board, and the conversation was so interesting I wanted to bring it up here. I imagine this has been discussed before, but I'd like to hear the opinions of some of our woodworkers. We need cabinets. Lots of cabinets...
  7. Cynthia White

Stain Suggestions for Hickory?

I don't have a lot of experience with stains. I've finished the ash interior of my bookcases with Minwax Whitewash "pickling" stain on both plywood and wood. I like it. I can see the grain but it's very light. Now I'm using some hickory for the exterior trim, but it's so pretty and has so many...
  8. Cynthia White

Computer Speed Question

I wasn't sure where to ask this, so I thought I'd try here. I have a computer question. I appeal to all the tech wizards in our audience. I have a 6 yr old Mac, and I need a new laptop (per my techie). My laptop is painfully slow with certain programs, especially Aperture, the photo-editing...
  9. Cynthia White

Beading Tool and blanks

So I was looking in the LV catalogue, and they have a couple of different hand beading tools. You can buy little scrapers that fit into them that are already cut to make the shapes you want or you can buy blanks and shape them yourself. I have what may be a very stupid question. For that, I...
  10. Cynthia White

WANTED: Wood Rosettes FOUND SOMEONE

Hi all: I'm wondering if there's someone set up with a CNC performance, who would like to make some rosettes for me. If you want to hand carve them, that's fine with me too, if I can afford you. I need 12, and I'd like them to be about 3" in diameter. Here are a couple of photos to give you an...
  11. Cynthia White

A router and a triple bead

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant a bead like with this kind of bit: And this below, is what I was thinking: I'm so bummed! I wanted to use some braid, but none of the local people who usually have it in stock can get it. And I really don't think I'm set up to do a triple bead myself. I...
  12. Cynthia White

Where to post a "wanted" item

I'd like to post a "wanted" item, something I'm wondering if someone could make for me. Where should I post that?
  13. Cynthia White

Another boring photo upload question

And why are my photos on their sides?
  14. Cynthia White

A router and a triple bead

So I've mentioned before that I'm not a router lover and haven't spent a lot of time routering. I have a good PC router (I can't see the model # upside down in it's little table) and a hillbilly table for it and a hillbilly fence, not shown. (I also have a little trim router.) Question: What...
  15. Cynthia White

Here I went to the "advanced" and did the same kind of upload using Chrome. This photo is 155KB. My new special-needs dog.
  16. Cynthia White

This photo is 130KB and I use Chrome. I see a link and not the photo itself.
  17. Cynthia White

I don't understand why when I upload a photo from my Mac, there's a link to it, but you don't see the actual photo in the post. Can anyone educate me?
  18. Cynthia White

Handcut Dovetail Help

Kevin, I also have asthma and hope to migrate to mostly hand tools some day. My hand tool skills are very poor. I've learned everything I know (not much) from FWW, and from books and youtube videos. I find that skills with planes and chisels are tough to learn if you don't have a real live...
  19. Cynthia White

A New Table Saw or Track Saw?

I have the Bosch 4100 Contractor's Table Saw or whatever it was called when I got it 4 years ago. When I finish what I'm working on (built-in bookcases), the next projects in the foreseeable future are all cabinets, built-ins everywhere. The Bosch has been great, but it's small, and it does get...
  20. Cynthia White

dowels or biscuits

Thanks again all. Thanks for the kind words, Rich. Chuck that's a great idea, but my router kind of intimidates me--it's not my go-to tool. A topic for another thread. And Charlie, planes are great, but honestly, I don't know very well how to adjust them and even sharpen then. That's what I'm...